1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How would you react to this situation..?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by gopisu, Jul 12, 2013.

1. gopisu

gopisu Senior IL'ite

Yesterday me,DH,DD and my Mom went to Temple, my DD started crying loud for some reason, DH took her out to calm her, meanwhile me and my Mom finished our prayers
    I asked my Mom to sit inside the temple and went out, my DD was still crying, so I asked my DH to go in and finish his prayers and also told him that Mom is still inside the temple.
    I went to car parking and started feeding my DD. My mom was waiting for him to finish the prayer and come outside along with him as she was alone can not find the way to the parking.
    My DH finished his prayers and did not look for my Mom and came outside the temple. So my Mom just followed him and came out.
    This was the conversation later
    DH was not around
    Mom: Son In Law did not see me, he was coming out so I was tensed as I was alone and came out running behind him.
    Me: Oh may be he wanted to come soon as DD is crying, you don't have to worry Mom I would have come back to pick you up.
    In the car
    Me: Why didn't you look for Mom ? (my tone was very normal, I was in a normal mood)
    DH: I thought she already came by herself to the parking lot.

this statement made me very angry, I asked him how could you even think like that when I already told you that Mom is inside, how did you feel like not checking for her, she cannot come by herself and she is new to this place.
    my DH repeated the same sentence again "you told me that MIL is inside but you did not tell me clearly to bring her with me, so I thought she already came by herself to the parking lot".

That clearly shows his carelessness towards my Mom. If it was my MIL, he used not even let her go downstairs in the temple to leave her shoes, he himself used to carry her shoes downstairs and bring them while leaving so that my MIL need not take the stairs and strain her self.
    why do Husbands behave like this? or Am I overreacting to this situation? I was very much dissappointed with his behaviour.

2. mani22

mani22 Silver IL'ite

wait for ur turn n let ur DH wear ur shoes to experience ur situation...dont react now as he s not gonna respond as u expect...

3 people like this.
  3. sweetshreya

sweetshreya IL Hall of Fame

I do think you are over reacting. Such misunderstandings do frequently happen in a crowded places, and it can happen between anyone, even between husbands and wives. And about how he would have handled his mom differently, well of course he would never have left his mommy dear alone even for a second. But that does not mean he will do the same to your mom. In fact, ask yourself honestly, if the whole incident would have happened, not with your mom, but with your MIL, would you have got this angry? Its okay. Let this one go.

5 people like this.
  4. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

gopisu,

I think it's a small issue. You're over reacting. May be his mind was occupied with your DD crying that he forgot your mom. Since you already asked him about it, it's not a good idea to discuss over and over again.

Don't make it a big issue. MIL can never be a mother. you don't love your MIL same as your mother, right? Same case with your husband too.

7 people like this.
  5. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

You need to put this incident into context based on your husband's past behavior with your mother. Is he generally respectful towards her? Do they share a good relationship? If yes, then this could be an isolated instance brought on by the stress of a crying baby in a public place. A simple misunderstanding. In that case you should let it go.

However, if there is a history of your husband treating your mom poorly, then you must take remedial measures. If he can't or won't care for your mother, then you should. In future, let him handle the child when you go out. Tell him that you need to be able to focus exclusively on your mother and her needs. As a daughter it is your duty to make your mother feel wanted and respected.

If your husband is generally open to communication, bring up the matter an an opportune moment. In a non-accusatory tone convey to him the importance of being courteous and respectful to your family, especially if he expects the same from you.

4 people like this.
  6. ppriya182010

ppriya182010 Gold IL'ite

OP, ur mom is not his mom. Thats all. I can understand your anger, but this is not worth arguing or :bang

1 person likes this.
  7. dsmenon

dsmenon Gold IL'ite

Overreacting - a little bit

Most men need instructions step - 1 step- 2 step - 3

I think u shud just forget about it.

1 person likes this.
  8. gopisu

gopisu Senior IL'ite

Thanks for your reply!! I know these kind of things happen in crowded places and thats why I told my mom also not to worry and think about it. But the reasoning what he gave actually irritated me, anyways I already let this go yesterday itself.

1 person likes this.
  9. gopisu

gopisu Senior IL'ite

Gauri03,
    He is not too bad or too good with parents. But I only feel he is careless. These kind of things happened in past also, when my mom was coming to US, I did not get off from office and he went to pick her from the Airport, Inspite of me reminding him several times, he started late from home and my mom had to wait for an hour after coming out finishing her immigration and baggage stuff. Coming from India all alone for the first time itself is a big thing for her and after reaching US if you don't see your family members for an hour with out any communication imagine how she could have felt.

1 person likes this.
  10. gopisu

gopisu Senior IL'ite

Yes you are right..I stopped talking then and there itself just venting here