1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How would you celebrate your hubby's birthday in the presence of you in-laws?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by EatPrayLove, Jun 19, 2013.

1. EatPrayLove

EatPrayLove Silver IL'ite

Hello all,

DH's birthday falls next month and IL's are visiting us exactly two days before. They will be with us for 4 months, which means my birthday as well. OK my birthday doesn't matter really because he gave me such a wonderful birthday last year, which was my first bday after our wedding. But unfortunately his uncle, aunt and cousin visited us last yr during his bday and he had to go to work. Though we work together, I had to take the day off to be with them :((

And the day ended up crap because of some drama created by them. So this year I was really looking forward to his birthday but IL's will be here.

I don't know what to do. I have never celebrated DH's birthday before, though I keep giving him gifts for even the teeniest of reasons. I can't cook his fav foods that day cos MIL will be around and obviously she'd want to cook for her DS on his birthday after many years - and I don't blame her. We cant take the day off or neither can we go alone for a dinner leaving them at home :(

Once again I am left with nothing to do but with gifting him something..

Any hope left for me guys?

2. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

How about celebrating it little early? Or may be early weekend getaway that you can book and suprise your hubby? I know early is no fun but celeb infront of ILs is no fun either

8 people like this.
  3. EatPrayLove

EatPrayLove Silver IL'ite

DH loves complicating things! We are moving into a new apartment 3 days before IL's arrive and we have guests visiting us every weekend starting now until IL's come :(

Can't get worse eh?

4. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

hmmm I am really sorry.... yes your situation is complicated just postpone the celeb till the ILs go back.. or just gently tell them that you and hubby would go for dinner date that day... They should understand...

5. happygolucky22

happygolucky22 Silver IL'ite

If I were you, I would have celebrated in the midnight in our bedroom. I would have decorated it with candles and rose petals plus a nice gift and may be cutting a cake or cup cake. If he is still in bedroom I would have asked him to go out for may be 10 min or send him to kitchen or something like that. Plus waking up early in morning than usual and keeping hot cup of tea, fresh flowers and a small gift (again) with a beautiful card on his bedside for him to wake up and get surprised again :)
    Wait its not over yet ;)...then in the office a gift waiting for him at his desk or a sweet love note.May be when he reaches or in his lunch time or wenever he is away from his desk.
    Basiaclly give multiple gifts on his bday and celebrate in a romantic way.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
    5 people like this.
  6. ars

ars Platinum IL'ite

I am sure his parents want to celebrate it too.
    Why don't you put your head together with il's and plan a surprise from all of you as a family. Maybe cake cutting, visiting temple, giving gifts etc.
    Of course later you can have all the romantic celebration in privacy too.

4 people like this.
  7. chitmin

chitmin Gold IL'ite

Since you and your husband work in the same place, how about going out to lunch with your husband, and then having a family celebration in the evening.
    If time allows, then perhaps you and your husband can take off from work on that day, and spend the day together and then have a family celebration in the evening. I am sure his parents would also want to celebrate his birthday since they are here (just as yours would if they were with you).

Good luck, and let us know how the birthday went :)

2 people like this.
  8. monita

monita Platinum IL'ite

Yes, it can. How about ILs living permanently with you?
    My MiL does and we have to celebrate every event with her.:-(
    But I really think parents also want to be a part of their kid's b'day celebration. For our wedding anniversary we go out for dinner without her.

I would suggest have a private celebration before they arrive
    and have another one with them.

1 person likes this.
  9. beingloved

beingloved Gold IL'ite

Think about your husband. He would be having his whole family with him after years. Why can't you be happy with this fact??

You can plan at midnight and can go to lunch at office time. Or can take a half day off, spend some quality time together and come to home in evening.

There are so many ways in which we can cherish the little moments. Just need to open our heart a bit!!

10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What your husband would love the most on his birthday is you and his parents and he all together enjoying the day. This is totally not what you want... but it is his birthday, so do it for him. Cooking for him and other things give you more pleasure than they give him. So, if you can bring yourself to do it... try it. Be genuinely happy that his parents are here to celebrate the day, do not frown even once, ignore the irritating things or comments from in-laws. Just make it a birthday celebration he will never forget because of your smiling face in the company of his parents.

Follow it up with a birthnight celebration that also he will never forget.

If someone had given me above advice in the first two years of my marriage, I would have thought they were stark raving mad. Maybe you are more sensible than I was when newly married. There was no IL then. :coffee

4 people like this.