1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How to train 5 yr old for KINDERGARTEN GIFTED PROGRAM ? Ideas or any tips plz

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by priyaindusladie, May 6, 2012.

1. priyaindusladie

priyaindusladie Senior IL'ite

Hi All,
    I heard the KINDERGARTEN GIFTED PROGRAM for kids is available in public schools of cincinnati. My son is 5 yrs old and he'll attend K in sep 2012. He's good in reading , math for his age. I really have an idea to make him ready for the IQ test for gifted kids. I'm like collecting all the details related to that. Do any of you have idea about this ? Kindly share it. I wanted to give a try for my son. Any paid websites available for training IQ tests of gifted kids ? Do kindly share whatever ur experience is ...
    Thank you in advance... :help :bang

Priya

2. shyamalajh

shyamalajh Gold IL'ite

Priya,

The IQ tests are not for training. It is supposed to be fixed, not changing with practice. Just relax and don't start rat race of India here (sorry, if I am rude). There are no training classes for gifted program for a very good reason. I am staying back in USA mainly because I hate the rat race of India(start preparing for IIT in 6th grade?) Here system works differently. Trust me, Your son will be fine whether he gets in or not. He will get in if he is gifted without any practice. Being good in math and English may or may not mean anything for gifted program. It just means he is taught well and he is bright. Being bright and gifted are different. One has to have 95 or 97 percentile IQ or higher depending on school dist. Along with IQ they test emotional maturity and other things too. Talk to his guidance counselor , she/he will give all info, the names of the test,etc.
    For bright kids , schools usually have accelerated programs. If the kid is good in a subject, they will put him in accelerated track. Guidance counselor will explain these too.

3. priyaindusladie

priyaindusladie Senior IL'ite

Re: What's Procedure for 5 yr old KINDERGARTEN GIFTED PROGRAM ? any tips plz

Hi Shyamala ,
    Thank you so much for ur reply... I 100 % agree with ur idea of learning ....
    i too like the method of learning here compared to india. I know well that i'm not in a RAT RACE or either push my son in that ,:notthatway: I just want to know how this gifted program works may be my son may be bright or gifted ... since he's observing his activities so quickly ( and his PRE K teacher too complimented and suggested about this idea of gifted program because of his grasping ability ) I thought i would give a try. It doesn't mean that whoever trying gifted program are in RAT RACE as you said ... If he's into that program i'm happy or if he's not i'll never even bother about that. I thought I'll give a TRY.... Hope you Got It.. :cool2:

4. shyamalajh

shyamalajh Gold IL'ite

I just don't want someone thinking there is demand for IQ training and starting that business and all little kids going there that is it. Sorry, if I offended you. In some districts in NJ, where lot of Indians and chinese are there, there are all types of coaching and same rat race. Just worried about that spreading everywhere. Of course, competition is good, but beyond a point it is self defeating.
    It is simple tests like our bank exams back in India. Logical reasoning, quant aptitude,etc. Guidance counselor will have all info. Either teacher and/or parent can recommend the child for testing. Unfortunately, in USA gifted program funding is very little unlike the funding for special needs programs. So not much is really done in these programs. Private schools don't even have these programs. Many Indians do get in, Good luck to your child. Hope he gets.
    You asked how to train. That is why I talked about rat race. No one trains for them kids just go and give it a try.