1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

How to take care of Indoor Plants when going out on a Holiday?

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by shravanicool, Aug 19, 2009.

1. shravanicool

shravanicool Junior IL'ite

Hi,

We have a lot of indoor plants in our house in Pune. Our family is planning on a month long holiday out of town. We are worried:spin about our plants and do not want to leave the house keys with the servant for merely watering the plants. Can your'll suggest:idea any other way of watering the plants while on vacations?

Let me know:idea
    Shravanicool

1 person likes this.

2. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

shravani

i dont know about 1 month maintenance dear

I usually suggest take the coke or fanta bottles plastic ones...fill them with water..prick them with a needle and ensure single drop of water is coming out..and put it inverted in each pot (this may work only for 2 weeks)

or take a long hose....prick it with needle to ensure water is coming out of the hose at those places and put the hose in the pots ( where there is this hole) and turn the tap to very very low speed....ensure that the pots also have a good drainage system so that they can leave the excess water...(not to get clogged with too much of water)..this might help for a month i guess..

but plans need sunlight..so areyou going to keep them inside or outside in the sun???

1 person likes this.
  3. Sindhurao

Sindhurao Gold IL'ite

HI:

You could leave all your plants outside and ask your servant to water the pots. This could work perfectly well in an apartment where you could place the pots in shade. I'm not sure how it works in an independent house.

You could gather a set of pots within the house -close to window (avoid harsh sunlight) and have wicks (half inch thick cotton ropes / long cotton strips of cloth could do as well) inserted into pots at one end and the other end inserted into a bucket of water.

Make sure you push the wick deep enough into the pot and at the bucket end a good length should be dipped as well (making sure that it doesn't slip off the bucket). Before inserting the wicks, wet them in water thoroughly. Inserting wicks becomes easier if the pots have been just watered. And finally fill the bucket with water right to the top taking care not to let the wicks slip. Works well if the length of the rope between the bucket rim and the pot rim is kept at a minimum.

You could use thinner (1/4 inch wide) thread for smaller pots. Any absorbent material will work. Also, the pyjama nadas which we use for tying around our waists works very well:thumbsup.

Similarly, you can bunch up pots alongwith buckets in sets. I have tried this successfully couple of times for holidays over a month but never with more than one set of pots. And also my pots were small to medium sized ones.

I have found that the bathroom is a good place to leave your plants (with wicks and water in buckets ofcourse:)) provided the bathroom is well lit.

For smaller pots, you could stand them on sponge and the sponge half immersed in water - the main condition here is that the pots should have good drainage holes at the bottom, so that the roots can absorb water from the bottom.

Cutting the right length of strips / wicks can be a challenge (I always did this at the last minute, so found it a challenge!!)

Hope this helps.

Sindhu

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
    2 people like this.
  4. geetabhaskar

geetabhaskar Senior IL'ite

5. shellysethi

shellysethi Silver IL'ite

Hi Sindhu and Vidya,

Thanks for the tips.Hope this works for me. I have lots of plants on my first floor and are heavy to take them down.
    Thanks again.

6. spm1

spm1 Senior IL'ite

I put the pots in big tray or bucket with water filled in the tray. For bigger pots I tried plastic cake containers (or lids) to fill in large quantities of water for plants that takes lot of water. I think this is not a good idea for the plants that don't like lot of water, especially those where the roots rot in standing water. It worked for almost all plants I tried.

7. madhums

madhums New IL'ite

Thanks for the tips... hope this helps in the future :)