1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to tackle LO's habit of throwing things?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by sonalpallavi, Aug 23, 2014.

1. sonalpallavi

sonalpallavi Bronze IL'ite

My 2 year old DS has lately gotten into the habit of throwing things. Be it the fruits and vegetables in kitchen or books and clothes, utensils and worse of all my mobile. I tried teaching him calmly that he should not throw anything else than his ball. I tried teaching by scolding a little-saying Mumma is angry and not talking to you because you don't listen and throw things. He would then go and very sweetly pick it up and hand it to me, but again within few minutes throw another thing. We watch nursery rhymes on my mobile for an hour in evening, and the moment I say enough now, we'll go to sleep now, he gets angry and throws the mobile. If he picks up something and I realize that he'll be throwing it now, the moment I say No , don't throw, he gets even more excited, giggles and throws it as soon as he can, before I could get hold of him and snatch from him.
    I am at total loss now on what to do, how to teach him, what way to use to make him understand that he should not throw things. How to get him out of this habit? Experienced moms , please give your valuable suggestions.

1 person likes this.

2. padmaja909

padmaja909 Platinum IL'ite

dear sonal
    first of all keep all harmful and breakable things out of his reach. then teach him to put the things in his hand slowly on floor. you show him how it is done, kids learn by imitating. your LO shows his excitement by throwing things. divert his energy in other things like scribbling on rough books. lastly when you are telling a story before ending it steer him towards bed or sofa slowly, take whatever is in his hand and tell him softly but firmly that story is over and its time to sleep.

2 people like this.
  3. Weasly

Weasly Gold IL'ite

Op,

Ur description of ur kid's habit is very cute !! Adorable little naughty one he is !! I have no solution though !! But very cute post !!

1 person likes this.
  4. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Kids (And adults ;-)) dont understand the word "NO"

When he picks up something you expect him to throw, dont tell "NO", Dont tell him "Dont throw"

Instead say - "Come here and give the item to mamma" "Can you keep the toy in the basket" "Put the book on the shelf" "Keep the mobile on the table"

When he starts throwing things around - bring the ball/tell him to get his ball and go to a safer place (no TV/kitchen/computer) and say - throw this around here! Say it smilingly!

Maybe he's just bored and wants attention from you and he's getting your attention by throwing things around!!!

Keep him occupied in other activities - give him a board and let him write! Make him dance to the rhymes !!

Make him help in the kitchen - if you're making dosa/chapati, ask him to turn round and round - tell him it helps you make the dosa/chapati round !!!
    If you're making sabji - tell him to sing to the sabji - tell him it makes it tastier and healthier

My son used to think that his jumping makes the popcorn pop in the microwave !!!

"mamma not talking to you" doesnt work :) Positive reinforcements work better than negative ones :)

When you stop the nursery rhymes to go to sleep, have a routine - at last song, you tell him - this is the last song. Take the mobile from him before the last song, keep it away then tell him a story - mobiles/TV etc doesnt lull them to sleep - visual activities make kids/us alert and active - so stop them early, tell a story or sing a song before sleep !!!

2 people like this.
  5. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

I like what padmaja has written.Op sometimes it is just a phase to.You keep asking him to put things in the right place and watch for sometime. It may pass. My daughter used to throw all her toys out of the window when she was two.I had kept a basket with the neighbor on the ground floor. She used to ask her maid to collect them. She soon got bored and stopped it.

6. sonalpallavi

@padmaja Thanks , will try to teach him to put things slowly down.

@hrastro : I have tried telling him to put things back when he picks , like when he picks apple from kitchen counter, I ask him to put it back, or give to mumma, but he does that only after he is done with throwing. Even tried asking him to get his ball and play, but seems he gets more joy by throwing things other than ball.
    Activities like colouring/scribbling don't engage him for long.. within minutes he is done both with scribbling and tearing it into pieces and again THROWING them down from the balcony.
    I would surely try your other suggestions esp. the kitchen ones as I find them very interesting.:goodidea:. What I mostly try to do is let him watch the rhymes for 1 hour and then read to bed. But he enjoys listening rhymes rather than reading (may be I need to improve my story telling skill) and after the rhyme time is just not ready to listen to anything but to continue on it. But yes, will definitely try again implementing in different ways. Thanks so much for all your suggestions.

@weasly : Yes , the whole drama is very cute except the part when he throws my mobile. His expressions are even cuter , that's the reason I am not able to be strict on him. :-D

7. sonalpallavi

@yellowmango : Yes, even my sister's DD used to throw things out of balcony and soon grew out of it. But in case of my DS, it seems to be going worse day by day. That's the reason I started trying different ways to teach him not to throw things. Sometimes its kind of funny also, like when he is a little angry, he would throw his blanket from the bed , but soon realizes that he can't sleep without it. Initially he used to point at it, so that I pick it up and give him back. Now I ask him only to get down the bed and bring it back, in a hope that he would not throw just out of the laziness of getting it back gigglingsmiley, but it has not worked so far.

1 person likes this.
  8. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Show him how to put it down slowly instead of telling him, he will mimic you :)

And when you put it down, say some words - like slowly slowly slowly or make a rhyme in english or hindi or your language - with meaning of "keep down carefully" - relate your action to the words everytime you show him.

After a few trials, just your words will bring up the action of slowly keeping the item down.

Also, since he enjoys rhymes the most, if he doesnt like the story telling, ask him to make up a new rhyme from the last nursery rhyme in the same tune - could be a story or translation of the same rhyme to hindi/your language or just some silly meaningless words that rhymes with the last nursery rhyme !!

Let him take the game wherever he wants to take it - if he likes meaningless sounds or uses the wrong words - let him have his fun - you can correct it later !!

If he loves the game he will willingly handover the phone to you and learn some language and music skills too :)

1 person likes this.
  9. sonalpallavi

Wow hrastro, you have provided really nice suggestions, will definitely try implementing them . He is not able to speak clearly as of now, just learning words , so his vocab is also quite small right now ; not sure if he will be able to make some rhyme on his own. I ask him to sing along with the rhyme , he is usually so engrossed or may be he is not able to pick up the words, he doesn't quite participate in it other than watching. But yes, if allowed he can go on hours and hours of just watching it. I allow him to watch for an hour because I feel listening it everyday, he will start recognizing it and that is happening also, he recognizes most of them.

10. persecutedDIL

persecutedDIL Gold IL'ite

Wow, what a helpful neighbour!
    OP, please keep all stuff except her own toys out of her reach.
    You shouldn't have gotten her into the habit of playing with your mobile phone - it is quite addictive and a very bad influence on toddlers and kids.