1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

How to store socks?

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by akalya, Jan 28, 2007.

1. akalya

akalya Junior IL'ite

Can friends here provide some tips on how to store socks? I currently have socks stored in the carton box that I get when I purchase shoes, but it is not ideal. If the socks that I need is at the bottom of the box, it messes up all the socks. Help please!

Akalya

2. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

3. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Dear Vidya,
    Thanks a bunch. That was a brilliant idea we are always searching for our socks[especially my kids] Will add this to my list. No more socks hunting in our house.
    Love,

4. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

I guess we all have stories to write about keeping our various socks together and also finding them when necessary! Sometimes, when the light is not right, I cannot even tell a dark blue one from black!! Is it me, is it age?)))
    Vidya's storage box is an excellent idea. But that means I have to invest quite a few of nineteen dollars to store my hubby's and mine. I have bought a couple of Sterilite drawer organizers, they come with six or four drawers and that's where my socks and tights etc go into and can be separated according to colors and cottons etc. They are compact and will fit into any closet.
    It is still a mystery though why one or the other sock gets lost in washing. Do the washing machines eat the socks up???!
    Check the link for an idea. If you have ALDI shops near you, they are on special purchase this coming week and cost as low as 12 dollars. Also check your local Walmart for prices. They are also on reduced price sale in Target very often.

Target Search Results: Sterilite Drawer

L, Kamla

5. vmur

vmur Silver IL'ite

Dear Kamla,

That is soo true. I almost always end up with orphaned socks, so this is what I do. I store them in another cardboard shoe box and when it gets really cold, I wear the unmatched socks inside, and wear a good pair on top of it. My feet get really really cold (my husband says, even if a leaf slightly shakes in a tree, I get cold) so I wear two pairs, esp in office where they have ridiculous programming for the thermostat, making it either too hot or too cold.

As for the price, yes, the storage compartment is quite expensive. But I think we can make this ourselves at home with some cardboard and some glue, and decorate it with some nice wrapping paper. We can go to the nearest craft store for more decorating ideas.

Anjana, I am happy that you liked the idea. Like I suggested above, we can make this ourselves at home with a little imagination.

Regards
    Vidya

6. anjana

anjana Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Vidya,
    Now I have an interesting project and will involve my kids too. Why didn't I think of this??? It is all the more interesting when we do it ourselves.
    As Kamla and you have written it is always amazing to see why we end with just one sock when it comes out of our dryer.
    Love,

7. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    I got curious after going thro all your posts about different storage options and went to the places you have mentioned on line. All of them look good. Now the plastic drawers are available her too and I have a 4's set to keep our wristwatch, reading glasses etc. It is very handy.
    And it is very nice to go thro the shops on line and what new things are available ther.

8. sonia

sonia Bronze IL'ite

Hi Ladies,

I normally tie the pair of socks so that no need to find other sock after one(put one sock horizontally and one vertically like plus symbol and tie one knot wd one sock only).

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  9. priyarama

priyarama New IL'ite

I know the perfect way to store socks so that they will never get orpahned. You do not need seperate storage compartments. Its very easy. Hold the two socks from the top (i.e. opening of the socks) together in one hand. With the help of the other hand, flip one sock opening on to the other. One sock will hold and cover the top of the other sock. This way the pair is locked with each other and can be neatly stakced in you drawer. Try it out and let me know if it works. It has to work.

10. SAMYUKTHA

SAMYUKTHA New IL'ite