1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How to store Dosa/Idly batter for a month

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by shravanthika, May 15, 2008.

1. shravanthika

shravanthika Senior IL'ite

I'd be on a vacation and very much worried about my DH managing for food.

Is there a way that the batter can be stored for a month...like leaving it unfermented in the fridge and fermenting at the time of need?

Has anybody tried?Your trips and tricks please.....................

2. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

I do not know about the month part of it, may be you can seal the container and leave it in the fridge but if you do not add salt and leave it in fridge you can consume for 10days or so just adding enough for the time that u want to use, just take that much batter and add little salt and leave it for 5 minutes and then mix well and use it..sunkan

3. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Hi Shravantika,

Idli/Dosa batters freeze really nicely. As soon as you grind it, add the salt and then freeze in tupperware or rubbermaid boxes. What ever quantity you need. Ask your hubby to take the box out and thaw and ferment for 24 hours and the batter is ready. ( i usually freeze like enough to last for a couple of days at one time)

I always do this. even when i am here, this way i grind the batters once a month and i always have batter in stock.

Vandhana

1 person likes this.
  4. shravanthika

Oh...Thanks Sunkan and Vandana..

That was a real quick response...

Vandana...

Did you try Idlis with the frozen batter...or just dosas...so how did they come out..I mean quality..

5. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Shravantika,

Since you have to ferment the batter, the idlis come out real soft too. Why don't you try it out once before you leave. you will get an idea

Vandhana

6. shravanthika

Thanks Vandana,

I'll try out and post my experience....

7. srims

srims Bronze IL'ite

Even though lam giving you a very late response but l feel this will be very useful for all. Once l left on my vacation leaving my husband for two months alone.l made the idly batter for two months.l kept in three stainless steel containers. Actually my husband said the idly was soft .When l returned home after two months my DH kept quarter portion of the batter in one container and l used that batter for three days and really found myself that was nice to make idly.
    Not only idly batter,l prepared vathakulambu,karakumambu,tomato thokku,pepper rasam and idly podi for his two months use.since my husband doesnot know cooking other than making coffee on his own.
    Ofcourse idlypodi will not spoil for months but other items also did not spoil for two months.
    But when we store for a long usage make sure you are keeping in a dried container.
    Srims.

1 person likes this.
  8. srimaauro

srimaauro Senior IL'ite

Hi, I am also going for a vacation.my DH also doesn't know cooking. Can you explain how exactly you stored kuzhambu and batter for two months. Thx

9. madhums

madhums New IL'ite

Very useful..... will try those tricks ... thanks for sharing :)

10. vjan29

vjan29 Platinum IL'ite

One/Two month is too much, one week OK. Oh my god, how come they will eat this one/two month old idly batter, it will really spoil the heath, becoz at home we don't add preservatives, it will get spoiled if you freeze for more than a week, its better they can buy rotis/parota in stores, and side dish also available ready made.

Teach them little cooking, there are MTR ready mix rava upma available, there are many ready mix available. I hope you can get it there at Indian stores.

2 people like this.