1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

how to stop thumb-sucking habit

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Karthiga, Feb 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manpreet

Manpreet New IL'ite

Hi Diana,
    Very good article!! I have 21/2 years old daughter who is also a thumb sucker, sometime I really get worried that when is she gonna give up that habit. After reading this article and also this whole thread, i feel i can be at peace atleast utill she's 3-4 years old. I hope she'll give it up herself :)

Thanks for sharing this article!

Cheers,
    Manpreet

2. vinunagpal

vinunagpal New IL'ite

Hi Diana,

Thanks a lot.....My daughter is 15 mnths old and she treats the plastic sheet as her security blanket and the moment she sees the same under the bedsheet she starts sucking her thumb. I actually started a new thread "Thumk sucking habit in child" where I had mentioned in detail.

Thanks,

3. Poonkodi

Poonkodi Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for your inputs, my baby is 21/2 years old and I am trying to get ride of this habis, her front teeth got too gap

4. sanyogita

sanyogita New IL'ite

Re: thanks for the suggestion

hello everyone
    i have a daughter who used to suck her thumb until the age of 4, initially she used to suck her thumb both during the day and more during the night, then later after 3 yrs she used to suck her thumb only at night, i tried a hell of things to discourage her from doing so, but was unsuceessfull. Later after the birth of my second child, we constantly used to tell her that her brother will also laugh at you that his sis. is sucking her thumb and then gradually her habit has come down and now she has left that habit but her upper jaw is slightly forward that her lower jaw and also has slight gaps in them. Unfortunately my son also has picked that habit, although all of us tried since the 3rd mth to stop it, but we could not. now he is 1.8 yrs. Basically he is very hot tempered and stubborn by nature, so no matter how we tell him he cares a damm. sorry some urgent work just came up. will catch up later
    bye
    sanyogita

5. smithaopillai

smithaopillai New IL'ite

My son who is almost 2 yrs now also indulged in the same habit. The way he sucked the thumb, his front teeth and the upper jaw started protruding. I was so worried and tried every means to make him quit the habit, but they were of no use. One day I was watching the movie "Baby's day out " with my son and he got so scared after seeing the big gorilla. I used the same to scare him while sucking the thumb. It worked well! At first he found it very difficult to sleep without sucking his thumb, but after a week everything was alright. Forget about the psychological impacts, he stopped the habit completely. May work for other kids also...all the best!

6. vaidegi_k

vaidegi_k New IL'ite

finger sucking

hi

My son is 3 1/2 year old. he sucking his thumb finger . according to dr advice i have applied medicine fermite (solution).still he sucking. if you gave any idea .pls suggest me

7. NithilaMKS

NithilaMKS New IL'ite

Re: finger sucking

If possible get Neem and make paste and apply in your son finger while he is sleeping for a week. He should forget getting his thumb to his mouth/lip again.

My mommy did the same for me…
    L :)

8. vaidegi_k

vaidegi_k New IL'ite

Hi Nithila,

Thanks for you suggestion

9. sharm

sharm New IL'ite

hai,

i have heared of some medicine forgot the name and available for external application on the thumb in Naatu marunthu kaadai. hope you can find out there.one of my friend from US got it and it had a permenent cure.

try it out ...........:thumbsup

10. keshavkutts

keshavkutts Senior IL'ite

Have you tried bandaid........diego or his favorite cartoon character. It sure worked for me

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.