1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to stop the toddler from thumb sucking

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by hridhaya, Mar 1, 2011.

1. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Hi,

My girl who is 3 years old has been thumb sucking from her birth. We did not worry about it till she was 2 and hoped that she would stop it herself. Since the past one year,we are doing our best in telling her not to do that. Her frequency of the habit has come down a bit but still does it she is in the car,sleeping(through out the night) or when she is bored. I am happy that she does not do it when she is playing with other friends.We will be returning to India soon and I want her to get rid off the habit as she might get teased for doing that.

What should I do to make my kid understand that its not a good behavior? I am sure lot of moms would have faced the same problem.Please help

Hridhaya

2. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Yeah, I too have been in the same situation, but luckily got out of it during one of the visits to India.

I am thinking you would have tried castor oil application on thumb when she is asleep.

try showing her the thumb sucking makes the skin thicken at that place, try telling her big girls dont do that.

Reward stickers - if she goes without a day of thumb sucking.

Bribes with new toys - if it helps.

At this age, the kids will be able to understand but cannot fully implement those. so its a matter of trying different things.

but definitely use a positive enforcement as this habit is more of a security thing for the kids.

3. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Hi...Thanks for the reply. Good suggestions. I haven't thought about some of them so far. I hope to use them to make her forget the habit.

Thanks again

4. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

I have seen some parents put castor oil on that thumb as a taste detterent, use bandaid, gloves to as a reminder to the kid not to do it. I don't know if it works 100% of course. Try it.

5. lathaviswa

lathaviswa IL Hall of Fame

Castor oil will help you out.

6. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Thanks latha and DNM. Will try it out too. Hopefully she bids adieu to her sucking instinct.

7. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

my LO is 1.5 and although everyone keeps giving me advices about how to get her to stop sucking her thumb, i havent tried anything, i wld rather wait till she quits herself! but if i were in ur shoes i wld do something :D

my mom told me about karela juice being used , i am not sure if u wld want to try that, poor kiddo :(

8. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

Dear loonypooh,
    yeah true...since your baby is small, you can still give her the pleasure. But unfortunately I cannot. Also it would be wonderful if the kid stops by itself.

I was worried about her potty training a bit since other kids below her age were trained early. But she picked it up quick in about 3-4 weeks. She is giving us a hard time only with this habit. We decided to go with castor oil and see the results.

9. hridhaya

hridhaya Gold IL'ite

loonypooh,

we applied karela juice and she then washed her hands :).

thanks for stopping by

10. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

LOL-awesome!