1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

how to stop nail biting habit

Discussion in 'Body Care' started by lakshmit, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Illusions

Illusions Bronze IL'ite

Nail biting habit

i always wanted to grow nails, neat and polish them.
    But i have the habit of nail biting:cry:
    many a times i have tried to overcome this but in vein.
    Any tips?:help

Thanks

2. supriyaakp

supriyaakp Bronze IL'ite

Re: Nail biting habit

If you remember they are dead cells coming out of our body, u wont even try to bite them life-long.
    Because my DH also had the habit of nail-biting.After marriage Just 4 to 5 times i remembered him that they are dead cells,don't bite and spit, he never try to bite again.

3. vinayaka1979

vinayaka1979 Senior IL'ite

I read a tip given by someone in a magazine. she wrapped one finger at a time with a bandaid and convinced herself that she would not bite the nail with the bandaid on. Slowly she did this to all her fingers until she ended up with a perfect set of nails.You need to remember that nailbiting results in unhealthy brittle weak nails , It's also unhygienic since the dirt on your fingernails(even though not visible) is transferred to your mouth. Hope this helps. :)

4. saddestiny

saddestiny Bronze IL'ite

Keep looking more and more at people with long beautiful nails. Look at pics in magazines and ask yourself if you too want to maintain such beautiful nails?
    Whenever the thought comes to bite nails, envision yourself with long nails. Keep it as a conscious goal in mind and eventually you will get over the habit.
    Also maybe you have stress? or its like compulsive disorder to chew nails?
    Try controlling this for 2weeks. Once you succeed in 2weeks, give yourself long term goals like 1month, 2months, 3 months and before you realize you will find yourself with long nails and got ridden of this habit.

5. shel_28

shel_28 Silver IL'ite

Check out my thread all about nail care in this forum. :)

6. Illusions

Illusions Bronze IL'ite

Thanks all for ur suggestions. i shall try it out:)

7. Hiranya16rocks

Hiranya16rocks New IL'ite

hi,
    ur suggestions are useful... i too have the habit of nail biting. but mine is a slight different habit. sometimes, i used to bit the skin near each nail.. how to control it? but it is a rare case since, i used to bit nails often..

8. mrl

mrl New IL'ite

Hi All,

As you all said, even I used to bite my nails (but very rarely) when I'm nervous.

Nails will always be beautiful after applying the nail enamel.

To avoid the nail bitting, I used to apply nail enamel. so whenever my nails are coloured, I will control myself even when im tensed / nervous.

I'm not sure whether this will work out for others .....

But give a try.....

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  9. Saila

Saila New IL'ite

Nail biting is a common habit and one that's not easy to kick. For some, this habit occurs when nervous or possibly when bored. However, following these steps may help you manage it and possibly quit altogether.

• First start from setting short term period for which you will not bite your nails. 3days, a week, decide according to your will power.
    • Don't forget to give your self a reward when you complete this goal. This reward can be anything like buying your self nail paint or some accessory. However, if you don't finish your goal then give yourself a tight slap or punish yourself buy reducing your shopping dates for that month. Rewarding will temp you to quit this habit and punishing will make you not wanting to bite your nails again.
    • There are people who are found to be wearing gloves all day long so that they can prevent themselves from biting nails. You can also try this in initial stage and then after some days check whether you can do without the gloves also. Wearing gloves for some days won't prove to be a bad investment if it helps you get rid of this habit.
    • Are mouth hates to accept things that are not liked by are taste buds. That gives you one more chance to quit this habit. Apply non toxic gels on your nails. The bad taste of the gel will not let you bite your nails again. Don't forget to make sure that you purchase a non toxic gel only that will be safe both for your and your nails health.
    • We should not forget that habit are always decision taken by are unconscious mind so the best thing is to let your sub conscious know that you want to leave this habit. Every day before going to bed say 10 times loudly that you don't want to bite your nails again. Let your sub-conscious listen to it and in not time you will find yourself free from this habit.