How to say "No", give me some phrases please

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by akalya, Feb 16, 2008.

1. akalya

akalya Junior IL'ite

Dear Friends,

At work, a colleague of mine is asking to do something that I don't think is my responsibility. I agree with him that it is probably not his responsibility as well. Its unfortunate that he got saddled with that responsibility, but I don't think it is fair for him to try and offload that to me.

How can I say No to him without upsetting him? He is a great guy and I have worked with him for the past 3 years and I don't want this small situation to make the working relationship a little too uptight.

The actual phrases that I can say to him will be the most useful for me friends. Thank you.

Akalya

2. Ria2006

Ria2006 Silver IL'ite

Use this one, if it appeals.

I would have loved to help you, but I have this urgent situation for my other work.If he knows all of your work, make excuse of some personal work.You have some friends coming over. Hence You will not be able to stretch..

Ria

3. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

The best way out of this wud be to ask him to start the work and you will help him along the way.In that way you are maintaining your friendship and ytou are helping him and not burdening yourself with whole work.

4. Aarushi

Aarushi Platinum IL'ite

You can sympathetically say that - " I would love to help, but have too much stuff going on in my own work...so will not be able to do justice to the new project..." Then ask your colleague that maybe he could talk to his boss and get some resources assigned to him for helping him out...