How to Save Electricity

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by CynthiaG, Jun 29, 2009.

1. CynthiaG

CynthiaG New IL'ite

As all of us know and experiencing, North India is under worst power crisis in decades. People are suffering from power cuts for hours in one go. There are some cities, especially Delhi where people have not slept properly in weeks due to midnight power outages.:hide: People don't have water as the water motors don't work without electricity. Many of us are literally going nuts due to heat and sweat.

I think this calls for some action from our part also. We all should try our best to save electricity in our homes and offices. Even if we save 1/10th of our daily power usage, then imagine what a huge difference can it make.

So, lets discuss ways to save electricity. Give useful tips and ideas, so that we can help our country.

2. Mevitha

Mevitha New IL'ite

Last edited: Jun 30, 2009
  3. sushmafrom44

sushmafrom44 New IL'ite

Nice topic. Actually, power crisis are all over India and its main cause is power wastage. From our government to all of us waste electricity and use it way too much then we should.

Why do we need to hair dryers when it hardly takes half an hour for hair to become dry on their own in this heat? I also hate when people use huge 100 watts bulbs outside their homes. What a wastage!!! Rather, they can use solar powered lights which save electricity and are also very economical. :thumbsup

4. sangeetamahajan

sangeetamahajan New IL'ite

I have started using the CFL lights in my house. This has cut down my electricity bill by at least 20% and I guess if bill is less than the energy consumption must also have decreased :) It is a great thing. The CFL light don't even get extremely hot like normal bulbs and they also don't attract too many flying insects.

I recommend it strongly. Use CFL light everywhere you can. It saves money and electricity.

5. gsaikripa

gsaikripa Gold IL'ite

Hai,
    nice topic....i Use CFL light in my house .
    Pls switch off the TV main plug ,when not in use.....it saves more current

6. Marun

Marun Platinum IL'ite

Hi all,

Some points from my side,

1. Use CFL bulbs
    2. When you are not using net connection, Kindly switch of your modems. The same will come for computer speakers as well.
    3. For pals who use CRT televisions, reduce the brightness to a considerable extend. That will save some power. It would be better to move towards LCDs.
    4. See to that u use water motors during non peak hours.. That is during the afternoons and nights... That will reduce the burden of power transformers.

Will post some more later.... :)

7. aparajithaa

aparajithaa Bronze IL'ite

nice share
    now we are in great need to save power :)

8. VRajesh

VRajesh Bronze IL'ite

We already have many CFL lights in my house.
    Only things which runs in night are my refrigerator and sometimes my modem when downloading movies.

9. Saveourplanet

Saveourplanet New IL'ite

If we all turn our ACs to 24 degrees, it can save a lot of electricity. Always remember that the lower you will set the thermostat of AC the more electricity it will consume.

Also, I have seen that people forget to turn their phone chargers off when the charging is done. This is a very bad waste of electricity. I never keep any of the appliances on when I am not using them.

10. renvem

renvem Senior IL'ite

I have recently setup our new house and I made sure I did my bit to save on electricity

I checked the Energy star rating on all equipments and made a point to buy ones that came with the best ratings so as to reduce electricity consumption....

One mistake was the AC...although it's a 5 star rated one...but it's less than the capacity we should have installed....we bought a 1 ton Ac for the bedroom which is approx 200 sq ft....the architect told us that we should have bought one which has more tonnage than the capacity recommended...the reasoning was that the ac works for some time and the compressor switches off on it own when the temperature reaches the required level...an ac with less tonnage will have to operate continuously and would consume more electricity...whereas a higher tonnage ac will do the same colling in much lesser time and the compressor will automatically turn off till the time the temparture level increases....
    unlike our thinking that less tonnage will consume less electricity ...the actual may be the opposite

also there are certain recommendations for the refridgerator usage...i'll have to check and post...but yeah you should make sure that you don't keep it open for long....refridgerator compressor also works the same way as the ac...so if you open it again n again...the comprssor's work to get it to the required level increase and it won't turn off....and eventually more electricity