How To Return Back Expensive Gift Card To Friends

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by PLK, Jul 7, 2020.

1. PLK

PLK Silver IL'ite

I am an techie academician. Recently as I was exploring a course and while I was talking with a bestie over phone, an idea struck me. She had a kid appearing for grade 12, who was bored at home and stressed because of exams getting cancelled, university admissions and all.
    On the otherhand, I will be teaching a new course and wanted to try it out to get prepared.So I offered the kid the course and to generate interest in the class, asked him to get few of his friends along. I taught online for about 8 weeks, online. I was very clear from begining that I do not expect any remuneration for the course. I knew most of the kids, right from the day when they were 5/6 year olds.The course was much welcomed by all and kept them busy with new projects every week. Now, I am done with course and one day my friend along with other mothers visited me and handed over an envelope, saying its for your birthday.We do present each other small gifts on occasions. But when I opened envelope after they left, it had Joy Alukkas gift voucher!! I didn't have any intention to accept expensive gift.
    What should I be doing next. Returning back may hurt her feelings. Others may also have contributed. They said 8 weeks is pretty long period and our kids are now good programners, thanks to your efforts.
    I just wanted a course well-developed with feedback from kids, so that my students would benefit. Nothing else.
    Should I give them some gifts as return?
    Or quietly accept it...but then somewhere I do not feel ok.

2. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Such friends are worth their weight in gold. : ) Treasure them, don't risk hurt feelings by doing anything more than thanking them and their kids.

The kids were fruitfully occupied for eight weeks, learnt something new, and the projects kept them busy even outside the online classes. The parents appreciate that they could try it out with no cost and with the confidence that the teacher is a person they know so well.

You could write them a thank you note for the gift voucher addressed to both the kids and the parents. Tell how you benefited from teaching them the course. Each child's approach and unique questions helped you improve the course. Add a few positives you observed about the children. Parents always like to read compliments about their children.

3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

You have kind, gracious friends and these are rarer than unicorns today when everyone is trying to get something for free. Thank them generously and accept the gift in the spirit it was given.

PLK likes this.
  4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

If I were you I would happily accept the gift voucher :tonguewink:

PLK likes this.
  5. PLK

PLK Silver IL'ite

Sometimes when we have mixed feelings, we are full of thoughts with several angles and are unable to decide...
    Thank you Rihana for clearing the clouds..

6. PLK

PLK Silver IL'ite

Yes, they do are gems. And that's why I didn't want money to be between us....
    I can accept gold only from my husband or son or parents... But friends..

7. PLK

PLK Silver IL'ite

Ya I understand if it was just my friend...but she dragged other ladies also(who are friends too, but not bestie)... So I felt like they calculated approximate fees...

8. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

@PLK- That is very nice of your friends! I am guessing this is a gift card to a jewelry store. If you don't feel okay- may be you can buy rings/ pendent or some small piece of jewelry for all of you and say you used the gift card to buy a present that all can share and cherish. Just a thought!

However, writing a heartfelt thank you card and accepting it will make your friends happy!

PLK likes this.
  9. netflx

netflx Gold IL'ite

That's a great out-of-the-box idea , an alternate option if you prefer to do that.

PLK likes this.
  10. PLK

PLK Silver IL'ite

Yes its a gift card for jwellery...I still do not know what's the amount in it...need to visit the shop... Tried calling or searched on net, but for obvious reasons the balance is not visible..
    I was regularly in touch with all parents, sharing their kids work, getting end of course survey, feedback on that and thank you notes for attending... I had about 15 kids and it doesn't make sense to say thank you to these 5 kids, whose mothers gave me gift card...I do not feel fair...gift or not...all are same for me...
    Anyway will try to visit the shop and see the balance...my friend said its small token..
    I am thinking I can gift my friends on their birthdays...as they said this was gift for my birthday... Makes sense?