How To React To This On Linkedin?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Anusha2917, Mar 20, 2022.

1. Anusha2917

Anusha2917 IL Hall of Fame

I recently joined a new job. It's my old organization itself which I quit in 2019 and rejoined now.
    After career break getting a job was a tough one for me . One thing I learnt is we need to be active in linkedIn and make good connections.
    Since it's work from home , I received all the IT asset through courier. Along with the laptop , additional monitor etc the new joinees receive some goodies like jacket, water bottle ,note book etc with company name and logo printed.After I received my goodies I arranged them neatly at my home work station, took a pic and posted it in linkedIn. The post received many many likes and the views for that is 1L + currently . I can say this is kind of viral post for me. Plus I used lot of hashtags which gave the post a very wide reach.Today I logged in to linkedIn and noticed that pic is used by some other new joinee in his new joining post (at the same organization itself) . My connections had liked/commented on that post . Hence it was visible on my feed.
    Now I felt it's unethical to use my pic for his post. It's a pic of my home work station. I took the pic in such a way that nothing personal is visible in the pic. Still I'm not happy this person using my pic in his post.
    How do I handle this? Or just leave it? Should I message him n say. We are in the same organization. So I can always find him in office chat if not in linkedIn.

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

It’s tough. Congratulations on it going viral maybe that’s what prompted the other person to copy it. Imitation is said to be the sincerest form of flattery.

You can’t do much here. If you say something directly to him it can get twisted into un team like behavior and look how mean Anusha was to me.

Honestly, New job you’re there for your career, so may be let it go. If it’s really bugging you, one option is you repost the pic with a watermark or copyright symbol, explain in the post that this is not a stock photo but your own idea, a picture you took and feel great pride in. If anyone wants to post as their status, they should ask you beforehand or acknowledge you in the post. You can add that this is a reasonable request and basic decency. Once you have put that up it MAY discourage future copycats. THEN you approach this person directly and ask them to edit the post to acknowledge its your pic or take it down, that should be step 2 so he can’t claim ‘oh I didn’t know’ or some other pathetic excuse.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
    Laks09, Thyagarajan and Anusha2917 like this.
  3. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Don't initiate any offline conversation about this. That usually does not end well.

Give him the benefit of doubt - maybe due to nothing personal in the pic, he thought you also got it from somewhere.

I don't know how pics are shared in LinkedIn. But I would comment on his copied-picture: "hey that's a pic of my home work station. Glad I took the pic such that nothing personal shows up in it." Add some humor or pretend-shock.

Include a link to your pic. The posting date will show you posted it first.

4. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

@Anusha2917
    Congratulations on your joining back in the same company hopefully at an elevated position.
    @Rihana suggestion - I simply marvel. Deep thinking. The plagiarist might or could be a senior!
    Trust baby & family are in good cheers and robust.
    God Bless.

Anusha2917, Laks09 and Rihana like this.
  5. lavani

lavani Platinum IL'ite

ignore it.

Use LinkedIn only for Professional work. like if you have any tech project, video , code share . I noticed Linkedin is being used for vent by a lot of people. Not good.

Avoid getting emotional or participating in discussions there. It will harm you more than him.

6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Let this incident go.
    But file it away for future reference. If you ever have to interact with this particular person on a project make sure that you safeguard your work and your contributions so they can’t claim credit for it later.

Anusha2917 likes this.
  7. senorita2019

senorita2019 Gold IL'ite

Its just pic, you want to ruin a work relationship and subsequent gossip etc for a pic????
    Its not worth it

Anusha2917 likes this.
  8. Anusha2917

Agree. Lot of cry posts about job needs. And tonnes of likes and shares for that. And so many shares about greatness of mother/father etc. LinkedIn more like FB now.

9. Anusha2917

Thank you Sir.
    Yes I have joined at an elevated position. :)

Thyagarajan likes this.
  10. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

First of all, congratulations on your post becoming viral.
    Once it is viral, there is no going back. People can share your post, copy yours and post the same as theirs etc...
    As @Rihana stated, you can simply comment under his post, saying "dude it is my work station" and probably could share a screenshot of your post as a comment.
    Leave it at that.

On a lighter note:
    I posted a horrible tamil poem - written by myself on FB to mark the Valentine's day.
    I did that for fun.
    The next day, it reached 1K likes, many many shares and comments.
    After a weak, people have started posting the same poem in their wall without even tagging me or mentioning as "copied".
    Some even shared the content in whatsapp.

When posts becomes viral, the poster loses control over it.
    People remember the post, but not the poster :(

Thyagarajan and Anusha2917 like this.