How To Protect Ourselves Online

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by SuiDhaaga, Mar 5, 2022.

1. SuiDhaaga

SuiDhaaga IL Hall of Fame

This affects all of us

Forget about illiterate monster you married making uglee faces (will he do that to police officer?) @snehalJoshi

Forget about smelly hyenas you are related to by birth who say you are short, dark, and have monkey face - and that it is just a joke! @anika987

What about cybercrimes for which it is hard to nab?

Hackers steal info. Right now they are nastier to big companies but tomorrow they can be worse to civilians like us.

Please share best way to protect yourself online.

I tried using UltraSurf VLP when logging into IL, but when I navigate, it logs me off.

Please, let us be a strong and smart community and share our ideas

Tagging @Minion @Thoughtful @Laks09 @MalStrom

Itsmylife143 and Laks09 like this.

2. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

I use Norton VPN it came bundled with ant-virus software.

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the tag! I just follow the basics of web security. The rest of the network security at home is taken care by DH. I really have minimal knowledge about it.

I do the basics - don’t use the same password everywhere, logout of browsers, add browser add ons from antivirus software etc.

To be completely safe online, I think is really hard. We have our data floating around here and on social media sites. It doesn’t take too long to put things together. Data mining is big business for Google/Meta etc. Even if you delete your Facebook app today, other apps on the phone share data with Meta. There have been some legislations regarding data collection from consumers but I’m not so confident about those myself.

The best way to stay completely protected is to not have online presence. That’s impossible for me and for a lot of us.

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  4. SuiDhaaga

I am inclined to this
    1. I hear that Black Friday has best deals, should I get now or wait till Black Friday
    2. If I get now, then how do I get Blsck Friday price when I auto renew. Or can I auto renew anytime, before my year is up.
    3. If I wait till Black Friday to get Norton at good price, what other VPN can I use in the meantime?

Any help is appreciated!

5. SuiDhaaga

Gosh we are sitting ducks then.

it is competition between hackers and online security. Hackers will find ways to get around security. That is scary!

Thyagarajan and Laks09 like this.
  6. Minion

Minion Platinum IL'ite

Amazon has pretty decent pricing https://www.amazon.com/norton-antivirus/s?k=norton+antivirus

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  7. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

I understand the products of apple generally free from virus yet malware can attack the i pad mini.
    There are always ways & means to cause attack and to free the gadget.
    Huge amounts are siphoned out by hackers from gullible accounts. They call it phishing. Nothing is secret of individuals. Ine can't be vigilant all the time. A phone number was registered with banker. The customer used that number for few months and surrrnded to the company that provided that facility to that person who had totally forgotten about it. Bank was never informed. But bank was sending messages about balance credits etc on that number. The account was not reviewed by the person. That phone number allotted to another person by the networks after 6 months as per rules of portability. The person who got the sane phone number allotted was a hacker was doubly happy with sms from bank and able to siphon out money from the account of the previous owner of that mobile number.

SuiDhaaga likes this.
  8. SuiDhaaga