How to prevent Heartburn/acidity problems

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by roopika, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Riya007

Riya007 Senior IL'ite

Re: How to deal with heartburn

Hello Mommytobe,

First of all congrats on your pregnancy and hope you have a safe delivery.

I had terrible heartburn as well especially in the last two months but what I found really helpful was to have my dinner earlier in the evening, like at 7 pm, so keep at least two hours gap before you go to bed. Also try as much as possible not to have too spicy food as that can aggravate your heartburn. If possible, have some yoghurt with your meals.

I found that i could not lie flat, so i used to prop my pillow up and lie down.

Take care and all the best. Hope it helps!

Love, Riya

2. dubbi

dubbi Bronze IL'ite

Yeah Heartburn's horrible. I even had to drink some yucky anta-acids.

WHat can help:

Eating early
    eating small meals more no. of times
    less spicy food
    try to go for a walk 1 hr after food.
    Cold milk or milkshake or ice cream ( vanilla) not choc
    Lying propped up

If its too bad then you can ask to be prescribed anta acids - tablet or syrup.

Take care

Deepa

3. winck

winck New IL'ite

Hi Shweta,

In addition to the tips already given, try sleeping on the left side instead of lying on your back...

hope you find some relief....

Ashwini

4. lakshmi.mani

lakshmi.mani Junior IL'ite

Hi Mommytobe,

I am in my 7th month and even I had severe heartburn couple of weeks ago. Doctor suggested me the same as what Riya007 has written here.

Have meal early around 7:30 PM followed by a glass of warm water.
    Take buttermilk or yogurt with your dinner.
    Take a walk fro 15 mins. This is to be done 1 hr after dinner

Since I have my dinner early sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night beacuse of hunger. At those times I eat Banana/Marie biscuits and drink a glass of water and then go to sleep.

Hope this helps.

Lakshmi.M

5. hamsa23

hamsa23 Senior IL'ite

Hi swetha and Laxmi,
    Congrats, even i have the same problem, heart burn , i use old indiam remedy for that, every day take a spoon of fenugreek seeds and drnk glass of water do not skip it, It really helps. try out

6. riky_raj

riky_raj New IL'ite

Acidity

Hi All,
    I have been suffering from acidty for a long time. As I experinced, chilled milk with sugar gives instant relief from acidity. Banana also helps in this. Try to avoid thinking too much this leads to hyper tension which caused acidity, physical exercise releaves tension and this ensures sound sleep. Razo tablet is a good medicine to curb acidity. but ask ur doctor. Drink water a lot. avoid hot food, swimming is a very good excercise, this curbs acidity.

These are my pesonal experience.bonk KEEP LAUGHING, ab muskura bhi do yaar

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  7. hydgrr

hydgrr Bronze IL'ite

Severe Heartburn

Hi Everyone,
    I am in my 20th week now and since past couple days I am having severe heartburn. I am taking tums but it isnt helping me. Are there any home remedies which could help me with this problem.
    -Priya

8. waitingForTej

waitingForTej Senior IL'ite

Re: Severe Heartburn

heartburn- Tell me about it!!! I'm currently in my 8th month and it just kills appetite and spoils my mood to eat :drowning. Can't even think of food past 7pm. My ob-gyn said zantac and tums are safe. She said zantac is better and more effective. Also try avoiding foods high in sugar.If you take tums, try taking it before your meals, not after.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  9. Candleart

Candleart Senior IL'ite

You can try sipping cold milk slowly , it works as it neutralises acididity and has no side effects.

10. Ansuya

Ansuya Platinum IL'ite

Hydgrr

In addition to consuming medicines and food to relieve heartburn, you could try the following mechanical options:

1) Don't eat heavy, spicy meals. Eat lighter, more frequent meals and limit the spices/oil used in preparation.
    2) Try sleeping with your head higher than the rest of your body. This may mean propping yourself up on many pillows so your head and shoulders are elevated above the rest of your body.
    3) Don't go too long without eating. If your stomach is empty for a long time, the acid that is secreted has a better chance of refluxing, even after you do eat. Like I said, eat frequent, small meals.
    4) Don't eat dinner late at night and then go straight to bed. Try to get some light activity (short walk, light housework) after each meal to help your food to digest and the acid to stay down.

Milk is good for neutralising acid, but yoghurt is even better. Try to include as much curd as possible in your diet. I suffered from terrible heartburn even before I was pregnant, so when I was pregnant, I had to employ all of the above or face dire consequences!

Also, if you're going to take medication, try Pepcid Complete. This is an OTC medication that acts to neutralise acid as well as control it. Tums will only neutralise (give instant relief), while Zantac reduces acid (preventative). My midwife said Pepcid was safe in pregnancy, but just to be sure, please check with your caregiver.