How To Preserve Curry Leaves For A Long Time? What To Do With Color Changes Curry Leaves?

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by gknew, Apr 15, 2020.

1. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Hi all,
    I got 2 pack of curry leaves 3 weeks back. I washed them, dried and place it in an air tight container.
    I have placed 2 packs differently. I use one pack till yesterday. It was so fresh for 3 weeks.. When I open the next container, the curry leaves looks bad and changed to black color. I am not sure if we can still use this curry leaves. What to do with this? Any recipes recommendations? What can I do with this curry leaves?
    Thank you. IMG_20200415_102346.jpg

2. Thoughtful

Thoughtful Gold IL'ite

I don't think you can use this. Most likely the curry leaves had moisture left when you washed it and put it in air tight container.

After you wash it, separate them and let it dry outside for a day and then wipe it with paper towel if there are any droplets on it and then refrigerate. It should be good for at least a month.

If you want to keep it for longer, air dry it a bit more ( 2 to 3 days ) and then you can store it outside. The air-dried is still a good substitute but I like the refrigerated once better.

gknew likes this.
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

gknew likes this.
  4. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you.
    I just washed it and prepared chutney/thokku.Turns out good.
    IMG_20200415_161310.jpg

Gauri03 likes this.
  5. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much for the inputs. I will try it next time.

6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I don’t wash the curry leaves immediately after buying. I store them in a ziplock with a paper towel. The paper towel gets changed every few days. The leaves get washed just before use. This keeps them fresh for quite a while.
    I finally bought a curry leaf plant last year. It is growing slowly but steadily so I hope I can fully rely on it by next year.

gknew likes this.
  7. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

That's awesome. Where did you get the plant? How do you maintain that during winter? I thought most of the herb plants will be spoilt during winter.

8. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I bought the plant from our Indian grocery store. Sometimes the temple also sells them in summer. I have it in a pot and bring inside to a sunny window during winter.

gknew likes this.
  9. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

I freeze curry leaves, they get discolored over time but totally usable.

gknew likes this.
  10. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I am now a big fan of bottled tadka. In the Instant Pot, it only needs 2-3 cups oil, cumin, mustard, whole red chillies and curry leaves. The ingredients are all optional and can include daals too. Keep the knob to venting position. Use Pressure or Steam mode for 20-25 minutes. Here are two recipes that do not use Instant Pot:

OPOS Tadka with Lentils Recipe | OPOS Cooking Recipes | Chef In You
    OPOS Tadka with Lentils Recipe | OPOS Cooking Recipes | Chef In You

I make it about once in 2-4 weeks. Maybe in the summer, I'll have to make it every 10 days. I was skeptical about the freshness of the bottled tadka, but there is not much difference in taste though I miss the satisfaction of completing a cooking with the sizzling sound of tadka joining the dish.

joylokhi and gknew like this.