1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

How to plan out shifting of house from one place to another (long distance)?

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by imhappy, Apr 6, 2016.

1. superwoman09

superwoman09 Gold IL'ite

Start removing/selling items which you no longer want or which do not fit in your new place, old furniture, etc.
    Discard clothes not your size, there are some which all of us keep even though we no longer fit into it.
    As others said, separate clothes/utensils/accessories/showpieces/winter clothing and label them properly. Wash extra bedsheets/curtains and pack them, keep only minimum out for the last month or two. Kitchen grocery try to finish up and discard old or nearly empty before moving. It becomes a hassle transporting open packets of groceries.

Label everything beforehand so that you can ask the movers and packer fellows to keep it in the proper room rather than dumping everything in one room. There should be someone to guide them at the point when they unload all the boxes. Do tip them some extra for help.

kalcandu and imhappy like this.
  2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

Some additional suggestions:
    (1) Pack essentials so that they are easily accessible after the move. For example, pretend that you are going on a 2-3 week vacation trip. What would you pack in a suitcase? Do more-or-less the same. That way, you can live out of the suitcase while you unpack and settle into the new house.
    (2) I like to pack based on two criteria: room/location and/or related items (e.g. kitchen/cutlery, wherever/electrical cords).
    (3) If you organize by room, then you can ask the movers to deliver the stuff appropriately to each room.
    (4) Ensure that the boxes are not too big or too heavy for you to manage during packing, during the move and after the move. This is important both for your own good health (protect your back!), but also helps the movers.
    (5) Depending on your lifestyle, pack a few boxes with stuff that will help you ensure your comfort during the time you will be unpacking in the new house. If you make a good list and pack these separately, then you will be able to unpack these first. This might include stuff you need to clean up as you unpack.
    (6) It may be a good idea for you to arrive at the new house (with your suitcases!) at least a few days before the movers get there. That way, you can make sure everything is clean & functional (Light bulbs? Water? Shower? before the boxes and furniture get there.
    (7) Everything takes longer than you expect, so start early!

Good Luck!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
    imhappy and vaidehi71 like this.
  3. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

@imhappy

Most welcome..

Also same goes with everything..
    Weed out with every thing. what u dont want .. n u dont like..

Also be very careful with documents.. like Marksheets/ bank account / LIC policies / Important documents.. Those get misplaced with shifting..

4. imhappy

imhappy Silver IL'ite

Should I take furniture too? I have big L shaped sofa with coffee table(4*2) and two puffy seats, plus dining table, shoe rack, TV table, wardrobes. These things we bought quite cheap rates after first relocation from new city only, but shifting them will cost quite much.

I am thinking of selling sofa set but can't decide.

5. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

Just want to know how u all handle your valuables, ( jewellery, cash, bank related stuffs like chequebooks, expensive gadgets) documents, grand clothes like silk sarees etc while shifting? Since you cannot trust the packers and movers with such kind of stuff..

6. imhappy

imhappy Silver IL'ite

@generic we keep only true copies of documents with us, and originals of documents, chequebooks, jewellery we have given to my FIL to keep. I find that by that way we are worry free. Now for valuable clothes I keep them in their own covers and fold them again quarterly. And for shifting purpose last time we took them with us only.. I hope that's good only.

7. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

It depends on the furniture you get in your new home. If you are getting a furnished home or if you can buy new furniture for reasonable price compared to the shifting cost of old furniture & the effort, then it's better to sell the old furniture.

8. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

@imhappy

Tough question.. See how much u r attached to those sofa's and items .. If u already decided U want same type of arrangements in new home.. U can pay to movers n packers for those stuff.. N i believe .. U will get refunded for relocation charges.. or sell it n buy new stuff at new place.. Its upto u .. whether u want those stuffs ...

9. Lata6

Lata6 Gold IL'ite

My experience with all the moves I did is to look for small items in drawers and closets. Thing is big things like furniture will be emptied in 30 mins and put on a truck, clothes n all can be dumped in few hours but the pain point to me was always like breakable items which are precious to you. start packing those first and keep them aside safe somewhere because in hurry we may break them. Then little little things in drawers and closets. If furniture and other boxes moved on day 1 in half day, I took alteast 2 days to clear out remaining small items. All the paper mails, project books envelops things like that, start throwing them if you don't need them. otherwise you will carry all old stuff to new house with the help of movers and then it starts building from there.

10. susangrey

susangrey New IL'ite

Hi @imhappy

I understand about because moving with whole house one place to another place with full family it is not an easy task. So Many Professional Movers and Packers also share the Tested and Time Saving Moving Guides Share Online. You just follow this moving tips and tricks you can easily moving your household goods one place to another place without any damage or problem.

Just Click Here:- Hassle Free Moving Tips and Tricks