1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How to pack Indian kitchen stuff in 23 KG Bag

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by arundhatid, Jan 15, 2014.

1. arundhatid

arundhatid New IL'ite

Hi,
    I am visiting india with hubby and 2 kids for 3 weeks. Booked flights with United Airlines. They allow 1 checkin bag(23kg) + 1 carry on bag per ticket. So I will have 4 check in bags and 4 carry on bags. I wants to get following items from India. Will they all come without any extra baggage fees. Please suggest

1) Preethie mixer
    2) Hawkins cooker - 5 kg (if possible get small howkins coutura)
    3) seperators for cooker + 2 more sets for smaller cookers which I have here in usa
    4) Idli stand
    5) Appe mould
    6) murukku maker
    7) 1 medium kadhai
    8) double bed sheet - 4
    9) pooja stuff like - samai, niranjan etc ( doesn't weigh lot)
    10) masala box

Additonally sareees and salwar kameez for myself and traditional wears for kids.

Absolutely no masalas or food items from India as we get everything here. All the above kitchen items, I do not have it here in USA.

Do you think this is too much? How was your experience. Please suggest.

Thanks & Regards
    Arundhati

2. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Arundhati,

I am not sure for other items but cooker i guess we get on almost similar price here. I bought Hawkins 3.5 lt in Amazon for $32 and i guess prize in india for same is around 1500 INR. And cooker will take more place than other items

3. droplet

droplet Silver IL'ite

the 10 listed items comes around 25 kgs. and the dresses it depends on how much you bring. I too brought more than this when I came to US :)

4. arundhatid

arundhatid New IL'ite

Wow, you mean I could manage to get more than this? That's amazing :) I am already thinking what all things I can get additionally from India.

How did you manage? Any suggestions?

5. nuss

nuss Platinum IL'ite

You'll have 4 checked bags. You can bring as much stuff as you wish. My son and I just came back and we carried only 2 checked and 1 carry on (although we could take 2 check-in each and 1 carry on each). I'd have carried only one checked bag but the gifts for family + chocolates and other edibles were too heavy to be packed in one bag. I brought back 2 rugs (quite heavy, at least 7 lbs each), several handicraft items that my parents bought for us from their travels (again 2-3 were in a range of 5 lbs) and desserts that my mom made for us ( again a few kilos) that my husband and some of our friends die for. I also bought Indian salwar kameez, sarees and outfits for my son. I didn't take very many outfits for myself because I've several pairs at my parent's place and I took a week worth of clothes for my son. I packed all that in our carry on except one heavy jacket for him. My checked bags were empty as we gave all the presents and used my son's diapers and baby food. 46 kg is a lot of weight. You can really bring 2 sets of all that you've mentioned (I assume Appe mould and murukku maker aren't too heavy as I've no idea what those things are).
    Have fun in India!

6. peeks

peeks Gold IL'ite

Wow never thought of Amazon for Hawkins pressure cooker...thanks for the tip

7. arundhatid

arundhatid New IL'ite

I got my Hawkins pressure cooker 3 kgs from Amazon. It was practically free as I had a 30$ gift coupon from Amazon :)
    But since I am going to India, I thought of getting 2 cookers from India along with their inner seperators ( With amazon you don't get the inner containers. Its very hard to get it here.)

8. JustMyself

JustMyself Gold IL'ite

As another OP pointed out, you could get more stuff.

Some airlines, allow more than 1 check-in baggage for free. Check what yours offer in their website.

As much as possible limit Jeans from US, as that is the heaviest piece of clothes. Also take very minimal clothing from US to India, as anyway you are planning to buy more there. You could even use them there, and then pack for US.

You can pretty much get all you listed and more. If in doubt, you could also use them in carton / packing boxes. Suitcase weight around 3 Kg, so to avoid wastage, we used packing boxes from India to US. We had 2 suitcases for check-in & 2 boxes for check-in.

1 person likes this.
  9. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Platinum IL'ite

I always liked the bed sheets from US. They come as correct size for the bed we will be using and I often buy flat sheets for my mom.

1 person likes this.
  10. 1Sandhya

1Sandhya Platinum IL'ite

Even if you have the space avoid bringing the pressure cooker and buy it on Amazon. For some reason maybe becos of Boston I dont know actually exactly why but they always open the suitcase which contains the cooker. It happened to me and a friend of mine (separately). My friend recd her suitcase after the flight and the separate suitacse lock and some items inside (small items) were missing. My suitcase nothing was missing but there was note inside which said 'inspected by <name of airline>'. Thats how I came to know they had opened my suitcase. Both these happened within last 1 year.