1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to Overcome Wheezing

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by AbiramiKV, Nov 21, 2013.

1. AbiramiKV

AbiramiKV New IL'ite

Hi Ilites,
    Please suggest me safe remedies/ precautions for my 2 yr old kid to be free of wheezing.
    Though we are very careful not to get cold n then wheezing, whenever climate changes & especially in this winter , he is getting frequent wheezes:(
    AM VERY MUCH DISTURBED OF THIS. Everytime he's affected, feeling very bad and stressed, till he gets relieved.
    Few people suggesting to give Tulasi/Karpooravali for cold and few others strictly denying Tulasi for BOYS...ur opinons please..
    I also try to add more pepper in curries/soups for him nowadays as it is good to get rid of cold...
    Dont want to completely depend on Asthalin every time and badly wanted to get rid of this..

Please pour in ur views..
    Thanks In Advance
    Warm Regards
    AbiramiKV

2. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Try these abirami

1)Introduce gooseberry in his diet.
    2)Giving ginger juice with honey should also help.
    3)Giving dissolved asafetida 3-4 times a day with water.
    4)Mix equal quantity of pepper, gooseberry and dry ginger. Mix the powder with honey or butter to make a paste. Apply it on the chest before going to bed.
    5)Mix 1.2 spoon of asafetida, a pinch of camphor ans ¼ glass of sesame oil. Apply it on the chest two times daily for quick relief. This home remedy for wheezing in children reduces symptoms like chest pain and tiredness too.
    6)Roast turmeric power and take two spoon daily with hot water.
    7)Boil a small piece of garlic in water with a little sugar and give it several times a day.
    8)Intake of a spoon of jaggery with mustard oil is the best home remedy for wheezing in children.
    9)Mix equal quantity of honey, turmeric and pepper and apply it on the chest for quick relief.

2 people like this.
  3. Paruchava

Paruchava Bronze IL'ite

Good information by dinny.thanks for sharing
    Take tulsi leaves juice,mix it with honey and give it everyday

1 person likes this.
  4. reh

reh Platinum IL'ite

I am not sure on what to suggest especially for 2 yr old kid...

I once got wheezing and after that for almost 2 yrs i had slight wheezing almost every month when I get cold.

What doc suggested is
    * Avoid citrus fruits - orange , lemon
    * Avoid goose berry - as it trigger more
    * Increase green leafy vegetables
    * Avoid curd and banana at night .

Now it has reduced a lot and I can say nill...

What I want to say is it depends on what kind of wheezing . so please check with doc before trying anything new.

For some citrus fruits reduces as it has vitamin , but for some it aggravates wheezing ..

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  5. Dinny

Dinny IL Hall of Fame

Reh
    you are right about citrus fruits.Citrus fruits when given generally increase the body's resistance but during an infection say throat infection it should be avoided as it would aggravate the infection.

6. reh

reh Platinum IL'ite

Dinny ...

I get cold easily if I eat citrus fruits ... So I avoid that mostly and sometime if tempted will have it one and mostly avoid at night ..
    But many have asked me to take that when I have cold as vitamin C will help to reduce cold..

7. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Hi OP,

my dd gets viral wheeze now and again. Is asthalin the same as salbutamol? If she has been exposed to the cold and seems to start having breathing trouble, I give her salbutamol a few times for a couple of days slowly reducing the dosage and prolonging the times between dosage as long as she doesn't worsen.
    That apart, some other things I do.

1. heres what I read about the healing powers of turmeric. (Might be pseudo science, yet sharing it) Turmeric has a compound called curcumin in it whose healing powers are super high. However human body doesn't absorb it very well. However absorption of curcumin in the body increases 2000 times in the presence of a compound called piperine - which is available in abundance in pepper.

Summary pepper alone or turmeric alone is less effective than the two put together.

2. You could boil milk with turmeric and pepper, add misri or cane sugar in the end and serve it hot to your child.

3. Rub eucalyptus oil into your child's chest just as you feel a wheeze coming on. Also rub it on his feet and put socks on. A few drops on his pillow should help him breathe.

4. Shut the doors and windows of the bathroom, let super hot water run from the tap while you play with the child inside. The steam / humidity would help. A couple of drops of eucalyptus oil in this hot water also helps.

5. heat mustard oil with a couple of cloves of garlic, then apply it to your child's chest, sides, back and feet.

6. Buy pure camphor (not the one precut as small blocks but ones that are irregular shaped blocks.) perhaps from Ayurvedic medicine shops. Take a small chunk of camphor in a ladle along with a teaspoon of coconut oil. Heat it over a flame. If your child is happy to inhale the fumes, ok, else leave him. Once the camphor has dissolved and the oil is still warm, run it well on his torso and feet.

8. Merlyn11

Merlyn11 Bronze IL'ite

Dear OP, I totally understand your kid's situation as I am an asthma patient since my childhood..Only thing to control wheezing is to take precaution to avoid basic reason for wheezing..In your case it's cold climate.So avoid going outside maximum..If you have no other option cover his ear and nose (like with a shawl ) every time you go out..Still I go out like this way only ..Let him drink warm water(with tulsi or whatever) once you are back to clear his chest ...Give him only warm foods..I used to avoid even milk and yogurt all the time..Avoid contact with dust if he has allergy to dust as well...if your kid has wheezing even after following everything no need to wait for anything go with English medicine l..It gives a quick relief....You can try homeopathic medicines also .. I was on homeo medicine during childhood to control the allergy and once it goes out of my hand I always relied on asthalin for a quick relief...Homeopathy also has medicines for quick relief though..

9. AbiramiKV

AbiramiKV New IL'ite

Hi Dinny
    Thanks a lot for sharing the useful tips!!!
    I gave him milk boiled with turmeric, pepper and gave him with palm sugar once a day for 3 days (not sure whether we can repeat on a dayor can give more than 3 day)..he is better now..
    one suggestion from my pediatrician is to avoid smell substances like camphor,agarbathi,deodrants stc ..as they enhance wheezing itseems..
    Will include Gooseberries in his diet surely!!
    Again thanks for nice tips :thankyou2:

10. AbiramiKV

AbiramiKV New IL'ite

Thanks Paruchava for the info!!