1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How To Overcome Sugary Cravings?

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by generic, Feb 8, 2017.

1. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

I am quite fond of sweets since childhood...now of course I need to cut down on sweets and sugary stuff to reduce weight..
    I have successfully eliminated sugar from tea and coffee..I strictly take sugarless coffee tea etc..and do not add sugar if I prepare oats or ragi porridge or any other cereals..
    But...I have a craving for sweet stuff now and then..like as soon as I have a meal I have a craving to eat something sweet and I end up eating a piece of chocolate or toffee or something...
    As much as possible I don't purchase too much junk or sweets or chocolates on regular basis and keep at home unless we are expecting some guests who need to be served this stuff..
    And when there is any festival or function or occasion, definitely sweet dishes will be prepared and served in plenty...I just cannot say no ..I lack the willpower to do so and end up eating sweets..
    I'm able to say no to other junk food and fried stuff but not sweets and chocolates..
    Especially when I'm PMSing I find it difficult as my mind wanders with unwanted thoughts...
    Please tell me how I can overcome my craving for sweets...any suggestions are welcome..

Aishuvino likes this.

2. creativemumma

creativemumma Gold IL'ite

Didn't try but heard that some kind of aromas help curb the cravings.
    Especially Vanilla flavour..
    Try lighting some vanilla candles/use vanilla flavoured lip balm ....

generic likes this.
  3. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

I think indulging in your craving once in a while like say once in a week in small quantities is not wrong. Our body requires all types of taste,not having one of them might create imbalance in your system.

If you think you will not have control, try to eat sweet fruits.They are good for your body as well. Some doctors advice even diabetic patients to not cut down on fruits because they are natural sugars and way better than the refined ones.

generic likes this.
  4. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

I have tried to substitute sweets with fruits. At least it will have natural sugars and fiber instead of ghee, oil, carbs and sugar. You can eat grapes, apples, melons, raisins, blue berries, raspberries and fruits which are high on anti oxidants.

Also for my post dinner sweet craving i try having some protienex (health drink) or horlicks. Yes it has sugar but keeps me.from going on a late night sweet rampage. Alternatively i dilute some fruit juice or make my own or add water sweeteners to drinking water, thus satisfying my sweet tooth while letting the volume of water fulfill mild hunger.

One sure shot way to avoid weight gain during festival seasons is to take a piece or two and quickly distribute the sweets to friends, relatives, neighbors, household help etc. The minute it disappears from view the craving also reduces. It is hard to avoid in a moment of weakness when you know you have some amazing kaju katli in the fridge.

Ultimately nothing beats iron will. Consistently practising abstaining from eating sweets reduces your craving for it.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    generic likes this.