1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Manage Mother In Law?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Newbee1, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Newbee1

Newbee1 Junior IL'ite

Thanks EverydayBloom,
    your advice gave me an encouragement I needed. I know it will be test of my patience and sometimes I do break down. but reading all these messages does give me a hope.

2. zeppelingirl

zeppelingirl Silver IL'ite

If he thinks financial problem is the reason for not giving you the happiness you deserve.. you should tell this to his parents & your parents

Dishaa likes this.
  3. Newbee1

Newbee1 Junior IL'ite

No I dont speak with my family everyday. I call them once a week and whenever I do its not for 2 hours. His family on the other side will call everyday and they want to know everything,what we eat ,when we sleep ,what we have shopped, I mean every little details and that bugs me. His dad once asked where is my room and he meant kitchen by that.

4. zeppelingirl

zeppelingirl Silver IL'ite

that is rude.. you should have shown them the rooms pointing, thats OUR bedroom, thats OUR kitchen, and this is OUR house..

when he speaks with his parents next time, you go and call your parents, speak with them.. when he asks you to join him, tell him that you need to have some quality time with him after he comes back from office, so you calling your home when is on call with his family to save time.. before that make sure you speak with your parents atleast in alternate days..

5. Newbee1

Newbee1 Junior IL'ite

His parents know this. I also told my mom recently but the thing is it feels awkward for me and my family to talk to them about financial matter. Why dont they just realize themselves that this is affecting their son? Thats beyond my thinking. They know that he is seeing a doctor , we have added medical , dietary expenses here but everytime they call us they are only excited about their upcoming trip here and making a list what to buy from here, I dont understand this. How can they be so ignorant? We will be 5 persons in 1 bed 1 bath aprtment for 2 months

6. Dishaa

Dishaa Gold IL'ite

Hi Op,

This is not a trick, it actually happened during my initial days of marriage. After marriage my husband purchased expensive gifts for his parents used my debit card and his credit card.

First time there was no rice, wheat, oil, salt, veggies etc to cook.
    Second time there was shortage of funds Rs. 1,000/- (full month) both times in laws personally came and saw and even checked our bank details, they purchased as all the money was used for gifting them.

I ensured my papa didn't paid for any of these (initially he didn't stayed with us).

Now we have a Recurring Deposit and save on monthly basis and use that money for gifting and other activities.

How many months a salaried person can survive on savings, please note prices for day to day expenses is all time high whether its in India or any other country, either today or tomorrow all the savings will get exhausted. Sometimes things take a "U turn" only after it reaches an extreme point.

Best wishes....

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
    Newbee1 likes this.
  7. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

Its really tough to ignore or avoid the situation but for a long term relationship u have to do this. Because this problem will not continue for long but the words that u use to talk that's either to convince or explain or anything it could be will remain in everyone's mind forever. ILs never forget anything anytime. I feel that u should talk to ur dh and tell him that his family is so nice and what he do to them is also good. And I am with u always. Also show him ur needs without complaining. This might take time and u have to adjust but once the problem solved with love it will be solved for forever. But if it gets solved with anger or disrespect then the problem will be solved but u will never be able to enjoy a good relation with ur H.

Newbee1 likes this.
  8. Newbee1

Newbee1 Junior IL'ite

yeah, thats the thing.
    I want to get rid of this problem as soon as possible but I also dont want to hurt my husbands feelings.

9. Newbee1

Newbee1 Junior IL'ite

Thanks Dishaa for sharing this advice. I will see how things go frm hereon and try to do what you did. Hopefully it will help.

10. prreeya

prreeya Silver IL'ite

Calling everyday is also biggest issue...I understand we should be in touch but everyday its impossible. And then they find some reasons like you don't want to talk to us ...you are rude and all but they don't understand how to take out time everyday working woman with kids and no domestic help.