How to manage food @ work during pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by galwidpassion, May 21, 2013.

1. galwidpassion

galwidpassion Silver IL'ite

Hi friends,

Are there any one here who are working and pregnant? Can any one please advise me on how to follow proper diet during office hours.

Actually let me tell you my case. I start at 7:45 AM from home and reach at 7 in the evening. Generally I finish my breakfast at home and start to office.I take few fruits with me like banana,pomegranate and watermelon apart from usual lunch. But from few days, due to the heat the fruits are getting spoiled and am ending up hungry without having anything to eat at office.

In our office also, we dont have any options to eat fruits. Only one stall which provides sandwiches is present. apart from that nothing else is present in our office. So it is becoming really tough for me to fight my hunger. I bring few dry fruits with me to munch on. Apart from that nothing else.

Do you guys have any idea what other kind of food can i bring and have so that i wont feel hungry and also can take proper diets..? Please help me..

P.S: Eating apples is making me vomit. So no option of apples. It used to be my evening snack for long time. But after preg, i said good bye to apples :(

Last edited: May 21, 2013

2. Irfana3300

Irfana3300 Silver IL'ite

You can take nuts like Badam/almond, cashew nut, raisin etc. Try to drink also milk & fresh juices. Eat chocolate, cheese. Try to eat fruits from home. You can also take boiled egg to the office.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  3. shaluu

shaluu Gold IL'ite

I don't know whats good for a pregnant lady to snack on but as someone who also has similar work timings and office food situation let me list the foods I take for snacking:

Boiled beans/ Sundal / Usli: You can soak the beans (mung, channa, rajma, black eyed peas) overnight and boil them in the morning and do a simple tadka and take it to work. If you don't add coconut scrapings it will not get spoilt and will be good to have when you feel hungry.

Also carry some digestive biscuits (whole wheat / multigrain) without sugar to snack on when you are hungry. Dry fruits, dates, fresh whole fruits, carrots, cucumber are all very good snacks

4. Dwirakhi

Dwirakhi Silver IL'ite

Dear

Wish you all the energy and strength in the world to cope up with your work, personal life and the pregnancy. Don't worry you will be just fine.

It is a very good habit to have an early breakfast, from here plans a two hourly snack till lunch time and subsequently the other big meals throughout the day. This will keep your energy levels constant and you won't feel exhausted.

Don't force yourself to eat anything that causes discomfort. Pack one or two helping of fruits, one that stay fresh and don't get spoilt or just one fruit in the mid morning meal. Next fruit meal can be had later after dinner may be. Eating stale and spoilt food can cause more harm than good.

Its a blessing that you have sandwiches available at office, work on a healthy brown bread sandwich as a snack in the eve, you will see you feel very hungry at a certain time in the eve. Eating apples or any fruit other than a banana only aggravates the acidity. The sandwich will keep you going till you get home and eat your dinner. You will not over indulge on your dinner and feel good as you get to bed.

Your other options at snacks other than fruits will be raw vegetables(eg: carrot or cucumber), salads with low calorie dressing, sprouts , curd, milk, buttermilk, lassi, dry fruits, nuts, high fiber biscuits .

Make these simple changes I am sure you will find your balance. Will be happy to help if you need anything else.

Take Care and God Bless!

sindmani likes this.
  5. samyarora

samyarora New IL'ite

Cucumber, and some potato chips should get you going..

6. galwidpassion

galwidpassion Silver IL'ite

Thanks Rakhi.. That was a great piece of advice!! :)

7. divyasocute

divyasocute New IL'ite

Dear friend

Carry dry fruits, digestive biscuits, drink juice before you start from home. If milk available, go for health drinks.
    Dont take sandwich and when you are hungry, you might get gastric problem. I had such experience.
    It will be nauseating when you look at apple, but still carry an apple with you and munch it slowly, it is easy to carry and helps you a lot when hungry. Plan it like once in a week an apple.
    I am in my 6th month, I start to work from morning 7 and I reach home only by 8 in the evening. I know how difficult it will be.

-Divya

8. florencesom

florencesom Senior IL'ite

Hi....
    My routine goes like this...
    A boiled egg n a banana before leaving for office..
    Two slices of brown bread with cheese or jam or nutella by 9..
    Fruit by 11...
    Small mix of nuts by 12...usually just 4-5 badam, pistachio, walnut, cashew etc...
    Lunch of rice / chappathi n curry by 1.30...
    Fruits again at 4....
    Two slices of brown bread / digestive biscuits by 5.30...
    Reach home by 7...
    Dinner by 10...usually rice or chappathi....
    N a glass of milk just before bed...

This keeps me going all day from 7 in morn to 11 in evening...

I usually carry fruits like orange, Pomegranate, Pears etc that don't get spoilt fast even after peeling...
    Peel n carry them in small dabbas so that it's easier for u to eat at ur desk without much people noticing...
    If possible also try to fit in tender coconut water after office... It's said to downs wonders for pregnancy...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013