1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to manage between work and Toddler School--Suggestions Needed

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Swasha, Apr 24, 2015.

1. Swasha

Swasha Gold IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

I want suggestions from you regarding the Problem I am facing. I am going to join the work after 1week and my office is 30min from my home. I have 1 pre-K toddler and 1 young kid.

1. My office hours are 9am-6pm
    2. My husband's office hours are 9am-6pm
    3. My Pre-K toddler's school is from 12.45PM - 3.00PM, We have already enrolled him.
    4. Young Kid will definitely go to Day care.
    5. We don't want to take Parents help as we feel it would be over burden for their age.

So, My Problem is How to manage My Toddlers school, His school is near to my Home. My questions are..

1. Till 12.45PM where should we Put him?
    2. How to manage the drop & pickup from school ?
    3. How to engage after 3PM-6PM
    4. I can take lunch break of 1 hr but not my husband.

Please Suggest me..How to handle this situation.

2. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

What are your child care plans for your to pre-k kid

3. Swasha

Swasha Gold IL'ite

@armummy, Thanks for dropping In, I need suggestions on how to plan child care to my Pre-K kid. All these days from my 1st Kid's birth to till date, he is under my care. (i am a SAHM) So don't have much idea how day cares work, So need suggestions as I am joining the work soon.

4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

@Swasha, you need to look for before and after school program's. Generally the schools have this option. Second option is getting them to join a daycare that has before and after school programs. They drop off the kid at 12:45 and pick them up after school and keep them until you pick them up. They also provide snacks.

1 person likes this.
  5. Swasha

Swasha Gold IL'ite

@Rakhii,

Thanks for the Information, I am happy to know that daycare centers offer drop & pickup services, then it would lessen our tensions.

6. Swasha

Swasha Gold IL'ite

@Rakhii, I just checked the Pre-K school site, They mentioned that they offer extended care only from K-5th grade but not for Pre-K :(

7. Sparkle

Sparkle Platinum IL'ite

@Swasha:

How far is your younger kids's day care from toddler's school? Have you tried enrolling toddler in younger kid's day care? Most day cares accept kids of various age groups and group them together for activities. Or you can try asking for similar allotment in toddler's school, but this may be expensive than day cares.

If you can find a suitable pre school and after school program (or) if you send both kids to same daycare (or) if you send kids to different day cares, things may fall in place. Its better to pick up and drop them yourself at 9 am, 6 pm and 12:45 pm. For 3 pm slot, see if your can husband pick up your toddler and drop off at daycare of younger one if its not very far for him. If you find an after school activity, this part will be solved again. Else avail transportation from the school to daycare, but you have to check on him (by calling daycare) everyday.

1 person likes this.
  8. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

OK so the school doesnt have the option. Now time to look for daycares around the school.

9. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

@swasha do you live in US or India? I can tell how it works in US. Since your kid is in preschool you can see if he and your younger one can be enrolled in the same school like Montessori or other day cares which also offer pre school program. In that way both the kids will go to the same place and same time will workout. But this is assuming you're in US. I am not too sure how it works in India as they are so different now.

On the side I am not sure why you're school is having pre school program form 12.45 to 3. That's such an odd timing and that's usually when my kid naps ideasmiley

10. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

@Swasha, I am assuming you are talking about the pre-K program offered for free by public school district. In cases as yours, what I have seen my friends do is to hire a baby sitter/nanny who takes care of both kids, does the drop-off and pick up. When there is no school the sitter takes the kids to museums/park/library or even manages playdates arranged by parents. There are gym, swim, art classes offered for your older kid's age by community centre/ park district.

It works out cheaper, is more convenient and cater's to kids needs.

Of course you need to look for a sitter with credentials, has an impeccable driving record and is good with kids and not be too choosy about nationality.

1 person likes this.