1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to manage baby food while taking a vacation?

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by annu1881, Aug 26, 2010.

1. annu1881

annu1881 Bronze IL'ite

Hi friends,
    I have a one year 4 mts old daughter. since we have not taken a vacation for a long time ( before my pregnancY), we are longing to have a break, but are worried on how to manage teh food schedule for teh baby. Currently I am giving mashed khichdi n veggies (her teeth r still developing), oats porridge, satuma (ragi/other grains) kanji etc. She does not eat much fruits. I m giving formula milk twice. If we have to travel, we will have to stay in a hotel room first challenge will be how to sterilise the milk bottles. I have heard of cold water n microwave steriling but have not tried them. Secondly how do i give her the other solid foods. I cant keep her on cerelac the whole day. She doesnt like the readily available pureed fruits/veggies. She has just now started walking.
    I am sure there will be lot of experienced moms here who must have travelled with their toddlers. Please share in your tips as it can be useful to others as well.
    Thanks!!

2. PinksAndBlues

PinksAndBlues Senior IL'ite

Hi annu
    You can carry marie biscuits or cornflakes with you, mash them up with formula millk (make it soft) and give them for breakfast. Fruits will be readily available wherever you go so that is also a good and healthy option. Other than that you will be staying in a hotel so you can request them to give you soft rice for the baby and you can add curds to it or maybe a bit of veges from the curries if she can eat it. Once or twice a day you said you can give her cerelac. Also Im not sure if you can get idlis and stuff in the hotel where you will be but if you do get it , you can give that. It is soft and baby can eat it with a little bit of jam .
    Regarding sterilising bottles I have no idea so maybe others can help..

3. annu1881

annu1881 Bronze IL'ite

Dear Pink n blues,
    Thanks for your tips, surely are helpful:thumbsup. Yes she eats buiscuits now but is very fussy abt fruits. Cornflakes is a good idea.

4. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

Not sure about Dubai and vicinity but when I book my hotels here in USA I always try to find one with a kitchenette or atleast microwave and fridge at the least.

You can purchase an electric kettle to cook things like khichdi. Just soak the mung daal and rice for atleast 6-8 hrs prior and it cooks well. This is what I have

Amazon.com: Rival 4071-WN 32-Ounce Hot Pot Express: Kitchen & Dining

You can try instant rice (boil in a bag type) also.

Uncle Ben's Rice, Boil-in-Bag, 7.9-Ounce Boxes (Pack of 12): Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

For breakfast you can also introduce instant oats cereal.

Other options include yogurt, parathas, fruits etc. My son was not fond of jarred baby food but would eat them if I added a bit of salt and jeera plus some butter or ghee to the jarred food.

So from my bring from home list of food items would include the electric kettle, mung daal, rice, some salt and haldi, jeera powder, ghee or butter, jarred food, snack type items and use n throw utensils. u can also choose to get some of the items at your vacation spot if available there itself.

For sterilizing bottles, I used the medela microwave sterilize bags. Worked really well. I would wash the bottles (took my own brush and soap), sterilize them and dry the bottles on a paper towel or cloth.

Amazon.com: Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags: Baby

5. PinksAndBlues

Yes I missed that point :thumbsup I used to carry a small rice cooker as well when we would travel and carry some raw rice from home. In the hotel plug it on and make rice for the baby. If you do this however dont forget to take dishwashing liquid and scrubber with you to clean up the rice cooker :)

Also you can carry bread with you and soak it in milk and /or sugar .

6. annu1881

annu1881 Bronze IL'ite

Thanks pmahensa and pink n blue. Yes i have a rice cooker which i can carry. You used some other grinder to mash the rice? Also your link of medela bags looks good. Let me see if i can get some of those in dubai. Actually i feel, my daughter has become so fussy about food since she is teething now and i have to keep different options ready for her. Also as she is growing, she wants to have a variety in food...she gets bored with the same stuff everyday.

7. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Pooja, Pinkandblues,Thanyou, Annu thanks for starting this thread, i wil be travelling a lot in the forth coming months, these ideas have given me lots of confidence :)) I was worried how I am going to manage, thanks girls :)

8. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Thanks a lot to all the ladies who have given/would give ideas...I was abt to ask the same question as i would be travelling continously with my daughter for a week in another 2 weeks...i was really worried abt her food in that week...
    Pink n blues,cornflakes is a wonderful tip...thanks
    Thanks to u all
    Any more suggestions from other mommies..please pour in...

9. annu1881

annu1881 Bronze IL'ite

yes, swaran & vishalini, additional information always helps!! esp travelling with babies, u have to plan a lot. All the best for your vacation and as you travel n learn lessons or use more ideas, do share on this thread.

10. PinksAndBlues

Hey everyone hope you all enjoy your vacations with your family and little ones !
    Annu I would not carry grinder but would add more water while making the rice (1:3 or 1:4 depending on how soft you want). That way rice becomes soft like porridge and it is easy to mash with hands or spoon.