1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to make baby chubby.

Discussion in 'Infants' started by shrutimanjunath, Jun 11, 2014.

1. shrutimanjunath

shrutimanjunath Platinum IL'ite

Hi ladies. My son almost turned three months now.
    Hes weight is normal as per doctor. As per the tracking gains half ounce each day.
    He growing in length than in width. I was fine with it. But people and especially mil says he's not yet chubby. This has caused some concern to me.
    Hes healthy. I am a ftm and I'm not sure how to work it out to make him chubby.

I know most of you would say not to worry when he's healthy. But somewhere in the back of a moms head , definitely causes a concern when someone says the baby isn't chubby or lost weight.

Has any of you took this as a concern when you were told your baby isn't chubby.

What measures u took to make your baby chubby?

pour your suggestionS.
    Another thing , how many ounces should he be drinking at 3 months age. To get enough calories.

hes sleeping 8-9 hours through the night without waking up for feeds. Doctor said this was fine as he was gaining weight and dint have any issues. How do I cover up these in the day time

2. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Ok. My dd was puny. Had weight gain issues initially and all but it settle within the first month.

My mil kept badgering me and in my sleep deprived state I made the stupid mistake of asking this question to her healthcare provider. She fixed me with a stare and said, "why would you want a fat baby? I am saying here that she is healthy. Chubby babies aren't necessarily healthy. I'm sure you've heard about the problems associated with obesity and I don't have to go into that." I wished the earth had opened up and swallowed me.

so dear, I don't have suggestions to make your baby chubby. However, I can tell you how I responded to the utterly ridiculous comments some people made. "She is fine and active. That's more important." "Which age are you in? Chubby babies aren't necessarily healthy" "don't you have anything at all positive to say about my child?" As you can see , my patience wore thin on this subject rather quickly.

If the doctor says your child is on track, just believe him/ her and enjoy your time with your baby without these unnecessary worries. Don't let others' silly questions bother you... You might have noticed that time does fly rather fast since his birth. You eat healthy and take plenty of rest.

once you start weaning your little one, ensure you give a huge variety of ALL the right foods. It is much more important.

5 people like this.
  3. sweetypi

sweetypi Platinum IL'ite

Shruti, I agree with Guesshoo. I think older people in India equate fat babies with the level of care and nutrition they are receiving, so this fascination for chubbiness.
    As long as your LO is healthy and his paed is satisfied with his weight, don't worry about chubbiness.

2 people like this.
  4. pantu

pantu Gold IL'ite

Hi, I guess it depends on the child. My son was fat and my daughter was skinny. Do you think I took good care of my son and cared less for my girl ? Nope. I was the same mother for both. If your boy is doing fine according to his doc then its fine. Don't worry about his fat.

2 people like this.
  5. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Chubby - The words that create a fear/doubt/worry in every first time mom's mind.

My DD was on the lower percentile in weight. I wont call her tiny, I will call her petite. My first trip to India was when she was 6 months old. Every person from the vegetable vendor to maid, driver to company heads everyone had a comment about how my daughter was not chubby! It drove me nuts. Initially I tried to explain that chubbiness is not everything. Later I just nodded my head. It saved me so much energy since explaining auch things to everyone was like banging my head on a wall.

My DS is almost double te weight of DD. He is not chubby but gains good weight every month. Now when my friend's mil viisted me she said that my boy is such a tiny baby. She gave me suggestions for increasing his weight.

People are always going to be saying something. If we start believing them, then we will go on a guilt trip. Just go with your motherly instincts and do what you feel is best for your child.

You are lucky that your baby sleeps theough the night. Let it remain a blessing. There is no need to compensate for the missd feeds. If you are try to compensate during day time you are probably going to face reflux problem.

4 people like this.
  6. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

When your doctor says he is healthy, just accept the reality.

Baby should not be made chubby.

1 person likes this.
  7. shrutimanjunath

shrutimanjunath Platinum IL'ite

Ramya I have a question. If I don't compensate for the missed feed, will he get enough calories.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2014
  8. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Babies tend to regulate their needs by themselves. He will be drinking more during the day. You should be able to notice a difference between his daily feeds from a few days back.

2 people like this.
  9. stillwaters

stillwaters Gold IL'ite

Dear op
    no wonder doctors are fighting obesity in children which has been termed as an epidemic just like in adults
    google about the adverse effects of obesity in babies and children and share that information with the fond grandmothers of your baby they will stop pestering you
    outsiders just ignore
    thank god everyday for a baby who sleeps throughout the night

wishing a happy & healthy life for your baby

1 person likes this.
  10. han412

han412 Gold IL'ite

Chubby is good is an outdated concept.
    My kids were correct weight and I was satisfied with that. I did not do anything to make them "chubby"
    A "chubby" baby grows up to be a fat adult .

1 person likes this.