1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Maintain Privacy In 1 Bhk Home Living With In-laws

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Parry22, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Parry22

Parry22 Silver IL'ite

I'm kinda newly married and for the next 1 yr at least we have to live with in-laws in a 1 BHK home. They have given us the bed room but they keep their things like clothes and storage in the bedroom, so keep coming in and out casually. The bed room door is situated like when the door is open , they can easily peek in while going to the hall or kitchen or washroom. And they do !! They are always peeking in on what i am doing and what i'm not doing. The door is obviously locked in the night but i would like some privacy during the day as well, especially like no comments on - why are you sitting on the computer so late at night n stuff like that. Hubby and i don't get alone time all day, they switch off their lights during the night at 11.30 , so till then the bed room door is open. How should i maintain privacy during the day and how to spend alone time with hubby during day (apart from going out of the house).

2. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

Send your ILS to shopping or movie or make them join some regular classes like yoga or whatever their interest.

3. wish4miracle

wish4miracle Silver IL'ite

I was in similar situation but my in laws were there for a short time. Even if it is for short time, it was difficult for me to be myself.

Try a curtain in bedroom door.
    Close the door almost and put a stopper in the back of the door.
    U can tell them to knock the door once to come in but this I am not sure as they may take it in wrong sense.
    If u have a window in bedroom, keep it open and tell them u need to close the door as the wind pushes off the door to close abruptly.
    I am sugarcoating here. Just trying not to make them feel offensive.

SGBV, greenchilli, BhumiBabe and 2 others like this.
  4. pinky2cute

pinky2cute Platinum IL'ite

I had same issue for 1yr of my marriage. Now moved to a 2bhk .
    Having a door curtain is the best option. You can keep the door open and still you dont have to face their peeking into your room.
    My case too had pils clothes and stuff in the bedroom and they kept coming in to take but fil never entered the room when I was inside. Only mil used to come and I still was irritated and felt like a guest in that house n in that room though technically it was given to me and my husband.

After few months they did realise I was uncomfortable and day to day needed things and clothes they had kept in hall n reduced the visiting times to our room. But still I all the time had the feeling like its not my personal room...I couldnt keep it the way I want neither I could be totally free and have total privacy.
    The washroom was just outside our bedroom and it was connected to the hall where they slept.
    Initial days were worst for us even at nights as we used to have lot of crazy intimacy and had to constantly be conscious of not being heard outside the room and also felt bit embarassed on coming out of room at late night to use washroom... sometimes it was 2 or more times at middle of the night.

You have to bear this no other option. After lot of complaining to my husband shifted to 2bhk but still mil keeps her things in our bedroom.
    Sigh.

5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Unless you move to a larger place there is no real solution, sorry.

6. Dishaa

Dishaa Gold IL'ite

Dear Op,

As suggested by other members, you can put up curtains in your room for avoiding their peeking.

Also you can
    start asking your Dh or MIL where you should keep your stuffs such as clothes or other articles that way you can start occupying the room and this way you can convey your message without hurting any others feelings.

If your in laws are understanding they will vacate their belongings from your room or they will suggest your Dh for bigger room options.

Sandycandy likes this.
  7. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I feel there is solution only if all move to a bigger house, and u and husband use all available space for ur be
    Ongoing so only, and make sure that I laws room has decent storage space..

Sandycandy and Dishaa like this.
  8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op,do you feel you people can afford to shift to a 2 bedroom house?

If it s self owned,then can you people build another room or divide the living room in such a way that inlaws can have a place for themselves too.

Try looking for multipurpose storage items so that they can keep their stuff there.

If you feel you can afford a bigger place then talk to your husband .
    If that doesn't work..?.have loud sex. Seduce him during the day . If they object...tell them it is not your fault,they have raised an irresistable hunk.:rolleyes:

Let inlaws ask for a bigger place or let your husband want a bigger place .

madras2018, Sunshine04 and Dishaa like this.
  9. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Loud *** ? Most irresistible hunks turn into chipmunks when Amma is around !

madras2018, SGBV, Laks09 and 4 others like this.
  10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

He can be the chipmunk.The lady can do a 'sally' all by herself;) .Say ....just the way he looks at her makes her go crazy.:hearteyecat::hearteyecat:
    What is he going to say.....it wasn't me ?:)

madras2018, Flower27, SGBV and 6 others like this.