1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How to Keep parents engaged while visiting USA

Discussion in 'Indians in Chicago' started by sindch, Mar 3, 2015.

1. sindch

sindch New IL'ite

Ladies,
    My parents will be visiting us (in Chicago) end of this month. Last time around, my father drove us crazy as he wasn't used to sitting at home. He used to go for walking every morning and evening but you know talk to trees, birds and squirrels in the park :)
    This time, I would like to keep him engaged. Any ideas how to keep them busy?
    I was thinking of joining him in a swim class, but he doesn't speak English, so that doesn't help.

All ideas are welcome.

2. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

OP, I just replied to your post that you posted elsewhere (in the Wheeling thread, I think).

3. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Do you have some temples around where he can go and volunteer .

1 person likes this.
  4. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

OP, I just replied to your post that you posted elsewhere (in the Wheeling thread, I think).

Copying it here for your ease.

Are you in Mallard lake apt? There is a huge Indian community there. Your parents should be able to find some people their age and engage in walking etc

The temples in Lemont and Aurora have something or the other every weekend. There are opportunities to volunteer too.

You could take them strawberry picking etc later (perhaps in May)! Camping, trips to State parks, a trip to Lake Geneva, Chicago downtown, museums are other things that I can think of.

The library can be great place to go to if your parents like reading. Arlington heights library might have books in vernacular languages too. Check it out.

3 people like this.