How to keep fasting for pradosham..ladies please advice me...

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by rpriya2004, Feb 16, 2011.

1. rpriya2004

rpriya2004 New IL'ite

Hi there,

how to keep fast in pradosham... i have no idea in fasting.. i have heard that pradhosam is an special day to pray lord shiva.. and keeping fasting gives good health, peace, wealth and happiness... so i thought of doing here after...i have some ques

please advice me

1. what food to be taken and not.... or we have to take only fruits...
    2. what slogan to be told that day
    3. how may hours in a day we have to keep the fast
    4. can cooked food be eaten after sunset praying or we shd eat next morning...
    5 what liquids food can be taken...
    6. As i live in US, there are no temple near by, can puja made in home with photos of lord shiva....
    7. is anything we have to prayed before keeping fast...that is reason for keeping fast...

i think many ladies can help me....

looking forward for all your inputs....

Regards-priya

2. rpriya2004

rpriya2004 New IL'ite

Hi all

looking forward for all your inputs

thanks-priya

3. GeethaMR

GeethaMR Silver IL'ite

Dear Priya,

Pradosham is a special day dedicated to Lord Shiva on the 13th day of every lunar fortnight in traditional Hindu calendar. The dates of Pradosham in March 2011 are March 2, March 17 and March 31. Shiva devotees undertake a fasting from sunrise to sunset on the Pradosham day. The Pradosham puja is performed during the twilight period.

Pradosham as the name indicates is a period just before sunset and after sunset. The Pradosham period is between 1.5 hours before sunset and 1 hour after sunset.

1. Get up with a fresh mind.
    2. Take a bath.
    3. pray to Lord Shiva and Devi Parvathi.
    4. Have light fruits and breakfast that is held in fasts.
    5. Continue your daily work.
    6. For lunch, have some fast offerings.
    7. If possible, listen to Shiva devotional songs.
    8.In the evening, an hour before sunset take bath and offer prayer to Lord Shiva, Parvathi, Ganesha, Kartik and Nandi.
    9. The shivling is bathed with water and Bilva leaves are offered. Some people use a painting or picture of Shiva for worship. It is said that offering Bilva leaves on Pradosham is highly auspicious. If eveninhg pooja isnt possible, conduct pooja with devoted mind only in the morning.

Geetha

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  4. rpriya2004

rpriya2004 New IL'ite

Hi geetha,

Thank you for taking time to reply my quest....bec no body replied to my question...

i have few more ques...please advice me...

1. only fruits to be taken that day... i.e till tomorrow morning
    2. what slogan to be told that day.
    3. Is that anything we have to be prayed to god before keeping fast...

priya

5. GeethaMR

GeethaMR Silver IL'ite

Hi Priya,

1. Food:
    Morning: Fruits, milk.
    Afternoon: Tapioca (Sabuhana _ Khichdi
    Evening: Fruits
    If you wish, you may eat normal food in the evening. Next day morning, take bath, have pooja and do normal breakfast

2.Shloka for Lord Shiva is "Om Namah Shivaya". You may chant it 108 or as many times as needed.

3.Before keeping fast, you may pray, talk, share, place your wish or simply gaze at the Lord! There is no such fixed thing written. The best ting is to request the Gods to always be with you, within you :) Also you can pray for a companion like the Lord Himself :)

You may also read the story of the fast. Google "ENGLISH VERSION OF SOMVAR VRAT KATHA" for the story. Do read it once in the evening.

Regards,

Geetha

6. rpriya2004

rpriya2004 New IL'ite

Hi geetha,

Thank you so much....

here after i am going to keep pradhosam fast as per your suggestion...

Once more ques..sorry for it... just in curiosity i am asking...

is it compulsory to have this fast in every with out break to the whole year....
    why i m asking is.. for say ... if am not able to keep the fast for some reason in a month... any thing wrong in that... or we can continue in next month.. please advice me...

Again thanks a lot...

Priya

7. GeethaMR

GeethaMR Silver IL'ite

Hi Priya, no need to be sorry...

In Sanathana Hindu Dharma, there is no such compulsion to follow that you have to keep fast so much time. Always keep fasts or do poojas with most devotion, when you feel like, and the pooja will turn out to be good!
    So keep the pradosham or Mondays fast when you feel like with full heart:) Geetha

Last edited: Feb 25, 2011