How To Interact With People From Different Cultures

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by shravs3, Feb 2, 2019.

1. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

I attend some local meet-ups frequently. But I feel lost in the group. Except me and the person who organise the meet-up all are Americans. Every person including ladies finds some random topic to talk.
    But I wonder wat to talk. Sometimes I do start the conversation but it’s very less. But others talk continuously.
    It’s not that I’m introvert and all, but may be due to the accent and other stuff I’m bit conscious about wat I speak, like wat they think and feel and so on. May be if they were Indians I would have spoken hours together.
    How to break the barriers and gel with them?

2. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

I have the same problem. I go to a library program for toddlers. Almost everyone of them are Americans and I find myself the only person not talking much. They are friendly, we smile, engage in small talk but get lost beyond a point.

shravs3 likes this.
  3. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Yes this is wat I do mostly, keep smiling even if I don’t understand few things :grinning::pensive:

4. sarvantaryamini

sarvantaryamini Gold IL'ite

Sometimes it is better to just keep listening, I guess. When my husband got our first apartment for rent, he proudly declared that he found one in which there were a lot of Indians and it was a trouble-free apartment. One part of the apartment was close to a bar and he avoided the rentals in that place. I could understand the bar part to some extent, but I couldn't understand the "Indians" part, but two years later I realized what he was talking about. My perception was, anyhow there will be people of different cultures, we will have to gel with them instead of trying to live with our own. But it is not that easy. I was in the same state as you, when I first came. Wearing a choodidar, I went on a local train to one of the big cities, I must have looked damn naive, I did get stares and comments, some people tried being friendly, but it was a bit intimidating. I still remember having worn gold bangles like we do in India and a man got so inquisitive about them, uncomfortably inquisitive. My two cents, as much as possible, wear western outfits, just listen to them and when asked, try to answer. Observe and understand. For me, the most frequently asked question was about arranged marriage. Somehow the concept of arranged marriage seems a very strange concept to westerners. Now I don't get asked about it much. Sometimes, even people from neighboring countries like China also ask about arranged marriage. Americans too feel the same way as us, when they come into a group with majority Indians. The only place where there seems to be true and unhindered interaction is the workplace/office. Otherwise people can feel lost in the vast sea of humanity.

Dhamini, Sunshine04 and shravs3 like this.
  5. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Find common topics to talk. Good icebreakers are
    1. Weather
    2. Sports
    3. Movies / Music
    4. TV Shows
    5. Community events happening in/around the town
    6. Get involved with the school community and share things in general about town meetings related to school library etc.
    7. If there is any indian festival around the corner share about it relating to their custom if possible

Be careful with Politics though and these are just some pointers

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    shravs3 and sindmani like this.
  6. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

@sarvantaryamini Thanks for the reply :blush:

Yes I feel the same. And as you told I feel even they are little intimidated to talk to us when they have their own people

7. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the tips @jskls.
    Yes I would never discuss such things to them. It’s very risky ! :rolleyes:

8. Topaz49

Topaz49 Gold IL'ite

it is pretty similar to a blind date ...

9. Dhamini

Dhamini Platinum IL'ite

Breaking the ice is an art to be developed. Just like how you are feeling they do feel it. Listening is a very important part of the conversation and any topic can be dealt with appropriate add on. If they are talking continuously then listening to them will make them feel better. As time goes the rapport will get better.

poovai, sindmani and shravs3 like this.
  10. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the reply @Dhamini . Yes you are right