1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to identify allergic reactions to foods in babies?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by sunitha, Nov 7, 2008.

1. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Ladies,can someone tell me in detail how to recognise an allergic reaction to food.My dermatologist says it will be very dramatic,like hives appearing suddenly,vomiting etc. .She feels one will definitely notice the reaction because it will be dramatic.Is that so?

Some say the eyes will water..what else is there?

For my son who is now 8 1/2 mnths,at 5 mnths when I tried moong dal,like the dermatologist said,hives appeared all of a sudden on his face around the mouth and neck,lasted for 10 minutes then disappeared.Now I have tried moong atleast twice after that (even yesterday)and no such reaction.Is that the only type of reaction I should look for or is there something else,like colour and consistency of stools?

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

I will do a quick post now Sunitha and pull up the links I have used later, DS is stirring. Our paed said there are two types of reactions to food, one is the true immune system response of hives, wheezing, eczema. the other is diarrhoea, vomiting, chronic exposure could lead to enteritis.
    Among the gastro intestinal reaction, it is further classified on the basis of how immeidate or how severe the reaction is. Most severe reactions would be vomiting wtihin two hours, the moderate ones when the reactions happen after 24 hours. Our paed classified these as intolerance rather than a true allergy.
    With DS, he had no overt reaction to cheese and paneer that we were giving from 9 months. We never gave straight cow's milk. But K's weight gain between 9 and 18 months was very poor. We stopped all milk products immediately and he put on 1 kg in two months and has added 2 inches between 18 and 23 months .

3. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Right,thanks Kritika..will wait for your detailed response..my doubt is ..you think the poor weight gain was because of dairy ,it could be something else too...like poor eating itself..pls put your thoughts forward on this.

My second one has eczema on the hands and legs...sometimes on the face...no where else.I have given him milk mixed with ragi..I have not noticed any severe reaction except the dry eczema skin which is anyway there whether I give him milk or not.No vomiting till date and no watery eyes too,to any foods.His stools are mostly yellowish-green in colour,sometimes looks pasty,sometimes normal,no diarrhoea too.His weight gain is good,above average and height is also above average.

I feel he has grown out of his allergy to moong because there is no reaction,am I correct?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  4. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Yes, i think so. Strictly speaking people dont "outgrow" anaphylaxis-like reactions (hives etc.) to allergens easily but in this case it certainly looks like it.

Vanathi.

5. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

These two sites - Allergyclinic and kellymom are the ones I used as a baseline for detecting food allergies when I first introduced solids. Though there was mild eczema with yoghurt at 9 months, stopping yoghurt or curd brought an end to eczema; we continued with cheese and paneer.
    DS has always been a very healthy eater (quantity and quality wise) once he took to solids. There were days when he ate half the adult portion sizes, sometimes even adult portion sizes like one cup pasta. His sleep was awry, his mood swings were the material of discipline books. He also has/had sensitivity to egg (diarrhoea), soy (sleeplessness and diarrhoea) and milk (vomiting, diarrhoea and eczema.)
    Milk allergies are not very common (around 2 percent of the population.) so, it's good to just rule it out since your child has always had eczema-prone skin. Have you tried to restrict your milk intake for 3-4 weeks and seen what kind of difference is there to her skin. At 18 months, I dropped all milk - including the one cup coffee that I sorely miss. To me the pay off is really there, not saying everyone's case is similar. If you suspect an allergy, it is best to rule out everything with an elimination diet because at that age you may not get an accurate test result.
    Like Vanathi said, our paed is of the opinion because it is not a severe reaction to milk, DS may outgrow the intolerance by 36 months. If you think your LO has outgrown moong dal sensitivity then fine. But I will wait for somemore time, offer other sources of protein. Just my two cents. Hope this helps.

6. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

hi,

sorry cant help you with details you had asked for still would like to bring to your notice which doctors ask to avoid for a short duration to test : To what our body or skin is allergic.

They are:

1. Seafoods - particularly fish and fish oil(even pickle)
    2. Saccharin - an artificial sweetner used in most of the pastries
    3. At times egg white
    4. Mushroom
    5. Previous days food or food which is not fresh
    6. Brinjal
    7. Rarely tomato

7. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Thankyou Kritika for that detailed post.
    Thanks Vanathi for clearing my doubt.
    Cindhuja,thanks to you too,I am yet to introduce many of those foods,but this list is helpful.