How To Handle My Naughty Nephew And His Irresponsible Mother?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Sri2196, Jan 16, 2020.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

From what you had mentioned..if it is exactly the way it is..she is clearly taking advantage and shuns her responsibilities.

She is the mother and she had to take care.getting Help is one thing but she is overdoing.

Try toTell her next time,that your legs are aching,body aching and you would love to have nephew with you but since you want to sleep and take rest,you are unable to care..keep giving reasons.

Try to get some hobby classes in the afternoon and leave home for an hour or so.

How is her hubby okay with that?Does he know what his wife is doing?

Again..as Rihana said,she might be tackling challenges as such health or other issues and so terming her irresponsible might not be right.

However..she should find other help by paying money and not you all the time.That is the problem.

Sometimes,people unintentionally also make mistakes.She might have thought “family” so it is ok.Hence,figure out before taking action.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Sri2196 likes this.
  2. virtualkv2020

virtualkv2020 Platinum IL'ite

We had a similar issue when I visited my parents in India.The child kept inviting herself to our place to play with my child. Everything was fine initially until she started destroying things at home. When things went overboard my dad advised her father in a friendly way to stop her from ringing the bell continuously while my mother was sick.It worked!

Amica and Sunshine04 like this.
  3. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

The poor child! My heart goes out to him. As annoying and destructive as he is, try to remember this isn't his fault. :(

Every time he comes over, take him downstairs and hang around there for a while. Watch TV, ask for coffee and snacks. Inconvenience her every single time and she may stop sending him over.

IMHO, it's better to confront the issue head on even though there's a risk you'll damage the relationship. To be fair, it's not much of a relationship when she sees you as a built-in babysitter and you feel understandably hostile toward her.

This situation requires urgent attention. It is not safe for a two y.o. to be wandering up and down the stairs of an apartment building alone. A stranger could very easily kidnap him. Please don't refuse to answer the door. Don't punish the child for his mother's irresponsibility. Take him back to her every time, don't send him alone.

Could you talk to your cousin and let him know what's going on? It's possible he's doing much of the housework because he thinks his wife is running after the kid all day.

If that doesn't work, could you let your cousin's parents know? It's possible your cousin's wife is overwhelmed and doesn't know how to handle her son. A visit from her ILs may help.

Good luck, @Sri2196! I wish you success in dealing with this frustrating situation and hope you improve your nephew's life in the process.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    Sri2196 likes this.