1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How To Handle Living Abroad In Family Difficult Times ?

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by ssg, Nov 22, 2016.

1. ssg

ssg Bronze IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

Hope you all are doing fine.

You can see my previous posts, to tell in short god has taken my father few months back and has put us in complete dark. we were already sad due to my brother separating from spouse. and this happened and put us in complete dark.
    we were trying to be strong from past few yrs and hoping that my brother will marry have kids and we will celebrate that together.
    But god has taken away my father and didnt give us the chance to celebrate together.
    Most of relatives started saying that my dad died due to 2 reasons- worry on my brother being single. also since we sisters are in US.

My dad always used to be self content and he has seen lot of problems in life, he was never that much worried abt my brother.
    It was my dad dream from the time we were kids that we should be in US. He in fact told we should never move back to India,
    where as relatives started showing sympathy and staying USA as the biggest worst thing.
    My mom got may be influenced by this or her own mentality don't know, she started saying that its her biggest worst decision to send us to USA and she wished we were in India.she has expressed lot that its unfortunate we are not able to move to India for few years and be with her?. or should at least stay for 6 months or so,
    she said that the house maid asked how can we leave in 1 months like that??

when i asked
    how about kids studies in middle of year ?
    if we move next yr how about kids getting adjusted in India ?
    have to start from scratch , find a job, house etc all.
    how abt our own houses in US
    My spouse is 100% not willing and said will separate with me if i think about moving India.

I went again for short visit took my mom to doctors, she was completely quiet depressed and irritated. She was not even taking to my little one and giving a hug. I said will keep visiting once in 3 months.
    she said my visit was making her more worried.
    she said dont come for visits anymore to India which makes me more worried. Either move India or dont visit.
    In this trip i realized some relatives were actually telling mom a lot not to think like that and its impossible for married girls to stay like 6 months with her, but it was not going into her brain.
    my brother on the other hand also was keep suggesting that its better we move India so that mom feels better. when i asked him to do visa and come US he said no way and also the house will get spoiled.

any ideas?
    Did you hear anyone going to India for 6 months or 1 yr to stay with the single parent.
    How to handle? is my mom correct in her thinking, should i fight more with hubby and think about moving to India to for 1-2 yrs.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016

2. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@ssg- Your post was heart touching. I am sorry for your loss....I can relate to your pain and dilemma.
    I am going to give few tips on how I managed or how my family handled the situation.

I lost my father a few years ago and for the initial few months it was very hard for my mother ( my mother is a working woman)- even with work, she found it very difficult to handle life. Few of her sisters advised her to give up work. This was a big no no from me and my sibling. We encouraged my mom to work. It's not coz of her paycheck, just to keep herself occupied. One of my cousin living in the US started telling ( after listening to her mother) that how my mom will find it easy to give up work- I explained it to my cousin, how sane it is for my mother to have routine instead of giving up work and feeling more lost apart from losing my father. My cousin understood and even conveyed my thoughts to her mother. Basically, all my mother's sisters let go of this "give up work" talks.

Dedicating their entire life to the partner, after losing them life becomes a bit void. Get your mother to engage in different activities- get her to make friends ( not relatives), go to samaja, go to yoga classes or take up any interest that she couldn't pursue.

Get her to make female friends. This is very very important. My mom never had any close friends throughout her life, she had colleagues, some of my father's friends wife who became family friends. But never "her" friends. Now she has made few female friends. Most of them are in her age group ( some still have a family), age group really matters because they can relate and have the same routine every day.

Get your mother to come to the US for a vacation- my mother refused and was very much against coming to the US at any cost. My sibling and her entirely family pushed my mom to change her mind and make a trip to the US. After coming to the US, she was relaxed and even appreciated us for pushing her to come. My mother refused to come to the US because she felt guilty. In her train of thoughts.. going to the US is more like a vacation and she couldn't imagine being happy without my father. She constantly refused to come to the US, just because of her guilt and her thinking. After coming here.. seeing us being in a routine and its nowhere like "her imagined vaccation" she felt much more normal. Much more used to the idea of leading her life.

Let relatives talk whatever they want- you and your DH do what's best for you and your family. But keep good contact with all relatives. I talk to all my relatives for the sake of my mother- she needs them more than they need her. So, listening/ helping my relatives will help my mom be included in their circle.. so be it. I have my dad's family living very close to our house, they can go check up on my mom or if there is anything she needs. ( there have been no such needs as of yet, touchwood) but one may never know.

Get all your neighbors contacts or your mom's friends contact. We have given our house keys to our neighbors and I have their contact info with me and once in awhile even talk to them.

I get introduced to my mom's new maids too through skype. I talk to them and ask them to take good care of my mother.

I talk every day or most of the days. It is very important to talk or listen to her at least.

Please don't let your brother advise you that you should come to India. If you have one sibling living in India, I think they should be able to take care your mother. Isn't she his mother too? Is he willing to change anything in his life to helping your mother? Its both of the children's responsibility to keep parents happy. Not just one.

Can you have a talk with your brother that he is an adult and you both should share keeping mom happy?
    Also, before fighting with your husband to move back- please try to imagine the same situation on your husband's side and ask yourself will be doing the same thing if it was his mother or his father ?

It really doesn't make sense to uproot entire family to be in India to satisfy your parent. How hard will you, your husband and your child have to adjust?

It's just my 2 cents and few of my suggestions. It's not going to be easy- but you should do what's best for you, your family and your mother.

Goodluck :thumbup:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    sindmani, dc24, ssg and 4 others like this.
  3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Why don't you take your mother to the US for some time? She is no doubt upset right now but it is unreasonable to expect you to suddenly uproot your lives.

4. ssg

ssg Bronze IL'ite

blindpup10

Thanks so much for the details. Its really helpful.
    That is great of you doing all that for your mom. i also did the same blindpup10 but there is no satisfaction from my mom side.

I think the major difference is your mom being educated and also flexible to make friends or even come US.

I did same, talking to relatives, took them even gifts in second trip even though was in my dad sorrow.when they came i served them snacks tea coffee etc with whom i never talked before. I talk daily and my sis does facetime like 4-5 hrs the facetime will be switched on with my mom.

for 3 months me and my sis did alternate trips and made sure she was not alone. i went for few days to my inlaws house and mom was upset, how can i completely avoid going inlaws in my 1 months trips.

Our situation is very worst here. my mom is uneducated and she got into the feeling that me and my sister should come stay for year or so. I dont know who told her that.
    Its our 2 maids and one old grand mother who asks us to come INDIA for 6 months or so. our 2 maids get confused with my mom upset behavior at home so when i call them, they suggest me to come stay with her 6 months coz she is upset and irritated.
    One day i explained the maid, dont keep saying i should come, i cannot come India every once in a month. still the maid doesn't understand,basically she tells me what my mom and brother talk at home.

I dont know if my mom may be feeling, she came for 6 months to help when my first kid born, so she expects we girls should also go help for 6 months dont know.

Thats why posted to ask, if anyone has seen anyone doing so.
    Married girls go stay in parents house for 6 months or 1 yr.

My mom's own siblings pressured and suggested a lot to come to US but mom didnt agree. Me and my sister said we can fly back and forth to accompany her but still mom didnt agree so you can see there is 0 cooperation from their side.

5. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

Losing the spouse can take a huge toll. Age contributes to the pain. And the feeling of everyone left me to my fate is another factor. Having said that, I would also say that your mom should now try and not depend on you guys to handle herself. Please do not get me wrong. She can depend on you for mental support but expecting that you would be there physically with her, in front of her eyes, in her living room and so that she can feel solace is very much unreasonable. Am surprised your brother is also asking you to come back. Tell him its not possible.
    She is your mom, you may be willing to do this for her. But why would your husband do that?

You have a brother who has the responsibility to take care of your mom.
    You are are mom yourself and you have growing kids in school, your husband's career in US and a lot of things going on in your family too.
    It is not reasonable at all to ask you, your DH, your kids to move back.

You and your sister are already doing what suits your routines and budgets.

Next time you are in India, try and speak to your mom. Be patient because you already know that there is going to be resistance to see your point. Remind her that she has seen many problems in life and this is probably the most difficult one to deal with. Remind her how strong has she been though not educated. Tell her that its her husband's dream to see you all well settled. Ask her how else can you be of help other than moving back.
    Being uneducated is something that scares people as they grow old.
    Your dad would have taken care of many things all these years , which is now your mom's responsibility. Tell her that she needs to trust that her son can take care of that stuff. And that you girls are just a call away.
    Teach her to use skype or video calling apps (Tango, Whatsapp video etc)

Give her sometime if she does not want to travel right away. Tell her that you plan to take her to the US in sometime(in 6-8 months time) and that you need her help. Saying that you need her may help eliminate her feeling of "no one needs me now that my husband is gone".

I lost my dad and I was the only child for my parents. My mom has been through some of these fears when dad was gone. Its very important to catch up with women of that age. Their emotions and feelings do not quite match with yours or your sisters because you guys are much younger and they think that you do not understand them. It helps a great deal to speak to the person of the same age - it helps your mom to vent out and believe that she is being understood. Request your relatives to see her every now and then. Stay in touch with relatives. Its important.

sindmani, ssg and guesshoo like this.
  6. blindpup10

blindpup10 Platinum IL'ite

@ssg- I can understand how you might be feeling. I think your mother is a bit insecure and depressed. This is normal for your mother to feel like this especially after a loss.
    If you don't mind me asking what does your mother expect you to do when you are with her?
    Does she just want you to be around so she is comfortable with familiar faces?
    The maid not getting along is pretty common with my mom and grandmom too- Mom changes maids once a year. But maids shouldn't be telling you to come down once a month.

If you are already in India- try taking her to a new place. Just you and her. This may help her ease up a bit.
    Also, try know who is the dominant voice that your mother is listening to- this is very important. Some people may have influenced her and she might have just latched on to that idea. Maybe if you convince these people to see from your standpoint they may explain or influence your mother. Slowly cut off this dominant person in your mother's life ( this is not good)

It is a bit hard as a widow to live in our society- my mom recently faced not being included in functions... it affected my mom quite a bit. ( my mom is not even the person who practices customs or very traditional)

Try to talk to your mom and understand what is the "real" problem. Many times they have to just walk the path.

If you think you should live with your mother for a year- maybe you should do it. In the end its all in the happiness for family.

The other thing I want to tell is- it is very hard for us "children" to understand what it is to lose 40-50 years partner. We ourself will be grieving for our parent. We won't be able to see what a parent is missing from the lose. Try to accommodate as much as you can.

ssg likes this.
  7. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

I'm sorry for your loss Ssg.

I think you really need to start drawing boundaries, list down your priorities and stop explaining/ justifying yourself further to others.

It is undoubtedly difficult to see a parent in difficulty and suffer through this tragic loss. you and your sister have been there for your mother through the initial few months. however, your loyalty MUST be to your kids. You have to think of them and what this upheaval will mean to them. It is extremely shortsighted on anyone to suggest that you move lock, stock and barrel back to India when clearly your family's plans are completely different. These people suggesting this clearly have no exposure nor foresight and you really must strop guilt tripping yourself over what they say. anything else is unfair to your husband and children.

This does NOT mean you are leaving your mother in the lurch. Offer her support over the phone. Clearly inform her - not discuss with her - that it is impossible for you to return. Offer her the option of coming to you. if she refuses to meet you halfway there there isn't much you can do. if your mother spouts what the maid says, repeatedly but gently remind her that you aren't coming back often or for a long duration as it is not sensible. She is welcome to come to you. keep on repeating it ad infinitum.

Your brother ought to understand this and persuade your mother to visit you.

Also remember this. You are an adult. no one, including your parents have a say in where you live. it is something you decide with your immediate family which now consists of your partner and kids. all this lamentation about not "sending" you to the US as though you are a postal parcel is quite dramatic. do not be influenced by it.

I sincerely suggest you visit a counsellor so that you can draw these boundaries effectively and grieve for loss instead of being incessantly drawn into this sort of drama.

sindmani, ssg and yellowmango like this.
  8. beautifullife30

beautifullife30 Platinum IL'ite

Hey OP,

Hugs to you dear. Very sorry to see you go through all that you are facing. Life is very tough at times. But never lose heart. There are better days ahead.

I would suggest you to think carefully about each decision you take here. Your mom sounds a bit unreasonable here but you cant really blame her for it. She's lost her husband, her pillar of strength. So try and go easy on her. I can see that you are making a lot of effort for her.

The people who actually need to be spoken to strictly are your brother and the maids. Since your mom is in a vulnerable stage now, whatever people around her keep talking make a huge impact on her. Try and stop there people from talking nonsense. Talk to your brother and maids about it strictly. Let them know they are crossing their boundaries when they try and tell you guys to shift to India.

As a kid you have the responsibility of taking care of your parent, yes but once you are married, you adjust that taking care part based on how or where you are settled. For instance, I am married with kids and taking care of my mom. My mom stays with us here. Reasonable. IF my mom chooses to live in our village and demand that she will be happy living there only and ask us to shift there to take care of her...its not right! Honestly I wouldn't be doing it too!

You have a duty towards your family too. You H seems to be against moving to India. Let me tell you, NEVER jeopardize your relation with your H for anybody.

Meanwhile bring your mom out of that shell. Talk to her everyday over phone. It might take time to make her understand. Talk to her siblings or relatives who stay nearby. Explain them your situation and ask them reach out to mom. Ask your brother to help you out by explaining the situation to your mom and help her come out of the shell she is in.

My prayers are with you!

9. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

What do u want ssg?

ssg, sbonigala and blindpup10 like this.
  10. ssg

ssg Bronze IL'ite

everyone left me to my fate
    this is exactly what my mom might be feeling. during my short trip, me and my brother were arguing abt my mom visit to US. I was explaining staying in same house its tough to handle, coming US will be a change etc.
    my brother was saying she will get bored in US when we go work, instead there are so many relatives so she will be more happy in INDIA and only we plan to visit or move.
    so my mom response was ' you both are fighting for me'. I said mom dont think negative, yes we are fighting that want mom to stay with me...we are not saying you keep mom with you.

am very careful bringing discussions to my brother like, mom is your responsibility etc. those are very strong things and i definitely don't want to say. coz without we saying anything there is negative impression on my sister and me, if we say those statements it will be more damaging relationship with mom.

yes i was so shocked when even some far relatives say ' you or sister need to think abt move atleast few years coz brother had the separation and now father passed away'.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016