How To Handle Desires?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by shravs3, Aug 26, 2018.

1. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Yes you are right

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

I am imagining a troupe of monkeys that keeps growing, while a bunch of bananas that is also growing to keep pace. Life is about maintaining a bunch of bananas that is larger than a troupe monkey in the brain... no? :roflmao: The old polish proverb (not my circus, not my monkeys) had a much neater solution. Just get away and join a different circus... that is ... find a totally new problem to wrestle with. When girls on IL with a difficult husband contrive to have a baby, that is exactly what they achieve.

3. raswam

raswam Senior IL'ite

Hi ,
    Few days back I got the answer for this question about desire as a Whatsapp message.

Q&A with Nisargadatta Maharaj
    Q: Does it take a long time to give up desires?
    M: If you leave it to time, millions of years will be needed. Giving up desire after desire is a lengthy process with the end never in sight. Leave your desires and fears alone, give your entire attention to the subject, Who is behind the experience of desire and fear. Ask: Who desires? Let each desire bring you back to yourself.

I hope some contemplation on this message may give you the answer

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    vidhyalakshmid and shravs3 like this.
  4. salad

salad Gold IL'ite

Hi @shravs3 you already got a bunch of good advices. Actually not just you but I too got to learn good points from this thread. Thanks to all the wise people in IL :)

One thing I would like to share from my experience is, you should keep goals, plans and desires in life. Cause that is something which gives you motivation to work on. To reach milestones. But as it said if it something can be fulfilled by ' just you ' the better.

I think in life there is nothing called "settled". From childhood we think 10th board exam is the bigger one. Then comes 12th, then comes college, job, marriage, kids, house, car, kids education,parents health... Etc etc

One by one the priority keeps changing and the list keeps increasing. It never ends. If you start to worry for each and everything it is never going to end. So it is better to learn to live life in between this journey. Learn to enjoy each and every simple achievements in life. Cause those simple moments will be the sweet memories of tomorrow.

Do more positive thinking, gratitude , content meditations. Then you can see how blessed you are.

I have noticed some of my desires were not full filled at that moment. Then I used to think does it make any sense to get this desire full filled after many years or months. But it does! Sometimes I forget about it but god won't. So my point is keep your desires upto god. May be he is already working on it for you. Always think " it is on the way". Rather than thinking "oh no it is not going to happen". The desire parcel will be delivered at the right time by god.

You do online shopping of desires god will deliver it when it is the right time:tonguewink:!!

shravs3 likes this.
  5. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Its is good to have some desires which make you motivated to achieve it.

But , if the desires can be full filled only by another person (eg :spouse), how can we over come the urge to expect it. It is easy to say don't expect anything from others, but it is not easy to practice it, if it is from our loved one.

Being positive and counting ones own blessings is a good thing to do, but will it work all the time? Sometimes I feel, how can we forget and erase those desire that is not going to be achieved for sure from our mind. Most of the time mind is a culprit. It can influence our life in a positive or negative way. It is up to us to train our mind not to destroy our peace of mind and enjoy the good things and not to worry about the rest which is missing. But, how to train our mind to achieve this goal is the big question.

sindmani and shravs3 like this.
  6. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

True it’s our human nature :grinning:

Yes think so :tonguewink:

7. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Yes and that’s how we try to achieve something
    So true. Certain desires may involve our loved ones apart from us. Hence the disappointments too..
    Exactly I wonder the same !

8. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Yes that’s good

9. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Q&A with Nisargadatta Maharaj
    Q: Does it take a long time to give up desires?
    M: If you leave it to time, millions of years will be needed. Giving up desire after desire is a lengthy process with the end never in sight. Leave your desires and fears alone, give your entire attention to the subject, Who is behind the experience of desire and fear. Ask: Who desires? Let each desire bring you back to yourself.

Entire life time is not enough to find out the answer for the question WHO AM I? and the related questions like who is having the desires. If you are encrypted to have the answer in this life time, then you will get it.

NIsargadatta Maharaj is the guru of Wayne Dyer, the motivational speaker.Anyway thanks for the message.

shravs3 likes this.
  10. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Raswam for the quote.