1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

how to handle cunning and mean sister in law

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by srita, Jul 11, 2009.

1. srita

srita New IL'ite

dear all,
    this is my first post here, please give me an advice,

me and my brother are very close from child hood, he got married 8 years ago, after that he and me were living in different cities in india, so even if they visit us it was only for aday or 2 so i never had any friction with his wife who is a engineer, after i came to this country i helped my brother to get a job here, who stayed in my house for almost an year, then when he get a job we helped him to geta appartment from somebody we know for a reasonable rent in the posh area, next our house only, i went and arranged every thing for his new home as if iam arranging for my daughter, then his wife came eventually she got a job, a high position, for which my husband helped alot , carrying her for interviews in our cars waiting there till she finish, i used to give my car to her and travel becoz i thought she is going for interview so she should be comfortable. then the real story started after wards, she is not as nice she appears to be, what happening is she is behaving in away when my brother is not there and the other way when is he there, in one way when he is watching andother way when he is not wathching, she will do what she want to do silently with out any evidence, for example when i go to their house as i enter she looks at me angry and hard way , keeps a sour face,( no this is not mis interpretation it happened so many times )but the voice will be nice and smooth like hi please come like that my brother who is turning the other side or doing some thing will listen her voice only but he dont watch her face so he thinks she is being nice to me, next example- last week i went to his house, iwas standing by his living room window and calling my brother , she came out of the room gave me a very hard and angry look, turned away, went and stand by the table right there by the table looking at something, she didnt ask me why i came or neither she went and told my brother that i came, i stood there for few minutes, and feeling bad i left. usually after incidents like this she come and talk to me nicely as if nothig happened and i thinking that ok this my relative so lets not hold grudges, so i will also talk to her normally, but when ever i told my brother about these incidents, he will listen i will just keep quiet , but he wouldnt ask her, and just behave normal with her.
    this time i felt so offended i told my brother about what she did and also told iam not going talk to her again, becoz she is doing it over and over, and the coming and talking nicely as if nothig hapened, she did the samething to my daughter also, so after this incident one day when me and brotherare sitting out side in the garden she came and talking tome and told me allthe best for my presntation, i didnt answer for that, i whe she left i told my brother that i was taking all this crap for 3 years and i cant and i dont want to take any more and get my self out, and i also asked him why he is not confronting his wife when she is doing all this to me, so he went and asked his wife why she is doing all this, you know what she said , she told that she never did any thing like that now or before, after all this iam feeling so offended and shocked that i n ever want to talkto her or see her face again. i want to completly cut off my realtion ship with them, she want all kinds of help from us through my brother and ill treating us like this, iam financialy in a far higher position than her , me and my husband both are highly educated, we are no way dependent on her, we are the ones who always help them nothing from that side, when i think that i will cut off my relation ship with them , i feel sad that its because of her i have to seperate from my dear brother, for the past few days iam just thinking why this women behave like this what is wrong , nothing happened between me and her, may be she didnt like how me and brother are close, i dont know what else, she is a in depth person who guards her personal matters very fiercely, even simple things like who came to visit her, her father is sick, like that.so even if i ask she would nt say any thing , and then behave same way, hurt people and when they are not talking come talk nicely, its acycle, iam getting stressed out a lot, now she is nagging my brother for the past few months to take aanother big appartment and move out of this place. to be honest iam thinking why i should continue a relation ship that is so painful and then thay are my family so i have to face them through out my life, how could i avoid them .other relatives will ask what happened,even if i say what she is doing i have no evidence. iam not able to concentrate on any thing becoz of this, and she is happy as usual doing her routeine. ladies this may look like a small problem but iam very much upset, please advice your replies will be highly appreciated. regards srita

2. saddestiny

saddestiny Bronze IL'ite

srita, sorry about your situation. You said your brother is married for 8yrs now. So that is long time to understand someone. If you guys are living closeby and interacting for job searches, interviews, setting up new home etc etc. that means lot of communication is going on right?

So you are involved a lot in your brothers life. Are you sure that it is sometimes not too much closeness? Also think about this way if your husband has a sister who is very dear to him and always involved in your family matters how would you feel ?

Maybe she does'nt appreciate that you are always in their lives. Sometimes even if you have good intention maybe other girl needs some space and she is not able to express it ?

I think you shud just have open talk with her and sort the issue.
    Dont spoil your relationship with your dear brother for someone else.
    Talk to the girl directly and politely. If she has something in her heart let her tell you clearly.

Then you can work out your stress better. No use keeping brother in middle and two women complaining about each other.

Just confront her and talk to her straight. Things will be crystal clear.
    Hope this helps.

3. srita

srita New IL'ite

hi sad destiny, thankyou for your reply, only for the past 3 years we are living close, after coming here. i my self is a busy person with all work , and kids so i dont really interfere much with them, i dont go to their to house often , and me and she dont talk to each other or see each other for days, even if i confront her she is not going to open up, she is freindly with every body else but not with us, some times she behaves very indiffernt and rude,when my widowed younger sister used to live with my brother, this girl was working in differnt place, used call my sister and talk to my sister in rude way, then talk nicely in front of my brother, i have decided to stay away and avoid her but my only concern is that is creating distance between me and my dear brother.

4. saddestiny

saddestiny Bronze IL'ite

srita I think this girl has attitude problem. she does'nt have right to treat your other sister rudely. next thing is dont let this interfere with your brother and your relationship. siblings are blood relatives. someone new cannot come and start separating you guys, esp when you are helping her find job and being nice to her. I think she has taken your help for granted. Just focus on your brother and what kind of relationship you want with him. As for her, leave her, she looks ignorant to me. As time goes, life itself will drill some sense in her head and she may realize it. Otherwise, its better to move on and enjoy your friendship and affections with your dear brother.

5. srita

srita New IL'ite

hi sad destiny thankyou so much , iam already feeling much better after reading your replies, thankyou for taking time to rely my post, but still there are few things iam confused about, as usual she trying to come and talk to me as if nothing happened , she is being extra nice my children and want to take my opinion on what gifts to buy to go india and all that, coz she know what she did she is guilty .but i told my brother i dont wish t talk to her tell her not come she went to india now but when she comes back she start the same old drama, humiliate husbands family , keep them at distance, but still dontwant to loose them becoz who knows she will have lot of work with them like looking after her son when she goes out and when baby sitter dont come and all that.yes she is taking me for granted , you correctly assessed, she knows that if my brother asks i will do anything for him.
    things i want to clarify are-
    1- if she come back and talk to me nicely and try to make up as if nothing happened what should i do?
    2- if she comes i should do the same thing what she did to me so that she should know how it feels
    3- if i see her some where i shouldnt talk to her at all or only if she talks i should.
    4- i shouldnt go to my brothers place even if he invites me to party or some thing /make some excuse
    5-i f party or function at my home i should invite only my brother not her
    6- i should tell her that i dont like her and stay away from me and not stress me out?
    let me tell you little more about this girl- she want to keep every thing about her, even simple little things secret, but want to know every thing going on in our lives like who came to myhouse to visit etc.
    very jelous she cant tolerate if any one achieves any thing higher than her. the day i got higher marks in the exam than her husband and when we brought our second car , i couldnt see her face.
    holds grudges and takes revenge when you least suspects it
    silently do things hurts people immensly, but dont leaves any evidence that she did.
    when ever i see her now my skin crawls i have neber seen any body so wicked, every other day she need our help , but she dont hesitate to behave rudely and indifferently and meanly to us coz she know very well that even if she behave that way if my brother comes and asks i will do thigs not only that i will harass my husband to do things for them as my husband as lot of contacts, i some times feel we are being exploited and feel hurt that if my brother warns her strongly she wouldnt do that but he is himself is going easy with her thats why she is thinking that my husband is not saying anything so i can behave an how i like with them, if i behave with my in laws like that my husband will never tolerate that, and by brother is going too lienient with his wife.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  6. saddestiny

saddestiny Bronze IL'ite

srita glad u are feeling better.

In short this is what I will tell you, this is my opinion, to follow or not its your decision.

Fools should be treated like fools. If they dont know how to behave or handle relationships we must not spoil our moods for them. We also shud let them know tht the petty behaviours they do, definitely hurt little bit but you are looking to long term big picture of having wonderful relationship with your brother.

Let her know that you tolerate all her things only for dear bro and does'nt matter she does 100 things your love for dear bro does'nt change.

Also tell her she is new but you know him since childhood and he too knows you since childhood. So you will leave decision to him only whether to believe her or believe you.

Why would you and your husband help her out if you have bad intentions? Its obvious and poor brother will realize that even if it takes time.

All you got to do is invite her and treat them as couple. Because she is immature and have attitude problmes, dont behave like her. Be the nicest person you can be even if you can't stand her behaviour.

Keep reminding in your heart that you are doing this only because you don't want to cause friction in your brothers life.

Dont avoid her for she might project you as bad. Invite both of them everywhere.

Also take care of your nephew(her son) if you have genuine love for him as your brothers kid.

Dont miss out on any relationships because of her. IT will only make you look bad.

If she really misbehaves and you cannot take it, just talk directly to her and ask her why she acts as if nothing happened?

Tell her you don't like hypocrites who behave two sides as per situation. Also tell her not to play victim in front of hubby because u are very loving SIL, taking care of nephew, finding her job and keeping close interaction with brother.

All this is also for dear brother.

Keep doing this and let her know you will not break up relationship with brother for all her petty tricks.

Still if she continues being mean, cunning etc. then avoid her. But don't ignore her because again brother may think she has a point and may even start believing her lies. Let brother know that you genuinely love him and bear her for sometime. If things get out of control just talk directly.

Also I read somewhere if you do tit for tat no difference between u and them.

Not telling you to be Mahatma gandhi and take all the crap. But guard ur best interests and don't let this affect your siblings.

If she is sane person sooner or later she will change her bad attitude.

Other things about her jealousy and all its only her personal insecurity and she alone has to find a way to deal with it.

If she crosses the line, just remind her you are not a fool to get upset and ruin ur time.

Sometimes you know, god puts us among ppl we may not like. We may have different expectations and opinions. But some ppl we have to tolerate and let them be part of our lives, just because they are indirectly related to us through someone more precious to us. In this case its ur brother.

But if that someone is controlling or abusive, use ur judgement call as per situation and save urself. Play smart and be more mature. Let her begin to see your genuine love for dear brother. And let her know too that its sole reason for taking her crap.

Hope it helped.

7. Drpreethis

Drpreethis Gold IL'ite

Srita,

You have helped your brother and his wife a lottt.. Good. You say you are far more superior financially and by means of living standard compared to them.. Probably this is the reason for all the trouble.

She must be feeling inferior or you maybe feeling superior. It is not wrong to feel superior.. But making others around you feel the same , maybe the problem. You may have never wanted her to feel that way nor would have behaved that way, true. But doesnt mean others think on your lines. Maybe few incidents would have lead her to feel inferior. Guess, the best thing you can do is stay away from their lives.

You dont have to stop being a sister.. but you could always not let them bother you by their behaviour nor bother them with your upsets. This way, probably everyone would be happy. You will remain his sibling no matter what. So, the lesser you visit them the better for you.

Everyone neednt have gratitude in return to help, Srita. Few people just take it for granted. So, it is not wise to expect her to show some gratitude or love in return just because you and your hubby helped her or her husband. Just because you are nice, do not expect the same from others around you. You would be surprsingly disappointed.

Probably, instead of asking your brother to confront his wife for making a sour face at you.. You should have simply asked her yourself. Just loud and firm as to why her face turns ugly the moment she sees you ? Does she have a problem with something ? if yes, is there something you need to do ? If there is no problem, you could always tell her, you dont like her face turning dumb as soon as she sees you.. It gives you a wrong impression of her ! Well, if that is what she is trying to prove.
    Living with her 8 years, your brother would care less the way she behaves with you.. All that could be important is his life. You cannot blame him for that. Havent we seen members who come here saying they have issues because of extended family.. and the advice to them would always be, stay away and give more importance to you and your spouse ! Then comes even parents. Similarily here, you need to stay away fi there is some discomfort when you go to their house. Simple. Why do you want to go up and face insults and then feel bitter about relationships. You can always call your brother over to your house when you wish to see him.. Or he could come to your house anytime he misses you .. He would want to see you sometime too, isnt ?

So, stay away. Do not do anything extra for your brother or her so that you later feel like you have been taken for granted. Why do something and feel bitter later ? Instead say, you probably wouldnt be able to help this time. Period. If she is curious about everything and you dont wish to reveal, dont. If she is being secretive, you stop being inquistive. It a'int difficult. I think you shouldnt be commenting on how linient your brother is with his wife.. That is between them. Imagine some one commenting on your relationship with your hubby. If her hubby has no problem with her behaviour then that is about it.

When something is troubling you about her, snub her and stay away ! Once you stay away, there will be lott less meetings, lott less meetings leads to lott less incidents, lotts less incidents leads to lott less bitterness, lott less bitterness would mean less botheration even when she is as sweet as sugar ! You will start caring less about her behaviour and will be much much happier. JMO..

Take care..

8. srita

srita New IL'ite

hi dr preethis, thankyou for yor reply, first of i would like to tell you that you are being judge mental and drawing wrong assumptions i just asked for little advice, which we you can give in asmooth way instead of being bitter like that, i think being adoctor you should know how to talk in a comforting way than this,instead whipping harsh words like alash, hope you are not doing this to your patients, why i told that iam financialy in stable position than them coz i want to say that iam not bothering or depending on them for such financial things, and i didnt say that i helped them alotttt so they have to be grateful to me and showing authority on them,and how do you know that iam feeling superior, i tried to adjust in every possible way to make her feel comfortable and happy when ever we go out i will ask advice about every thing, we wil follow what she says so that she will feel included and not left out .even if that means money wise and time wise a burden to us. i never expected any gratitude from her or brother i just wanted her to be freindly and polite and nothing else. its her who behaves that she is far superior to us coz she is a general manager to a big organization, she dont show any respect to my husband even though we are older than her, even if we take it there is some reoson as you assumed that why she is turning her face ugly by seeing us, its thae same thing with my other siblings and family members , even my children and maid are afraid to go ask her some thing as she behave very in different and rude with them keeping a hard face,and for your information i dont go to their house often nor i will interfere in her business. i asked my self many times honestly though not loud and firm as you said, i didnot see any thing wrong, once this happened before when i asked her why she doin g like this she didnt say any thing but stopped talking to me for many days so i asked my brother to ask his wife whats going on, i have never been inquisitive about her things iam just not intrested in that its she who thretens her husband not tell any of her things to us, simple things like her brother contested for MLA in recent elections , her father is sick that kind of things also.and when some visitors come to my house she will be standing by the window inquiring that who is that why they came and all that,i never showed any attitude or expected them to grate ful, demand her to obedient to me or any thing like that, when we went to an outing recently its me who cooked, and took care of every thing i didnt insist her to help or do any thing,one last thing i want to say that we are all grown ups and matured people and come here for apiece of advice and some comforting words when we have a problem , if you can, try give them a little advice in asmooth way, and not to be judgemental or to draw wrong conclusions out of what people say. being amoderator doesnt give you any preveilage to talk to people in reprimanding way or harsh way and hurt them more,plese dont take it for granted. one should feel calm and comfortable when they read your reply, not hurt or bad.

to sad destiny,

thankyou very much for your kind and thought ful reply, i felt calm after i read your reply , i will definitly take your advice, you look like a very mature and thought ful person who know how to handle situations in life , i wish iam like you, other freinds also adviced me in this regard , but i see more more sense and reasoning in your reply. god bless you.

Dr.srita

9. srita

srita New IL'ite

and dr preethis dont bother to reply coz iam not going to return to this forum again, even though there are some good people like sad destiny, here with people like you around it makes no sense coming here and getting more hurt and bad.

10. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

srita, what you are experiecing every word I can understand, relate, I would say this is nothing but a passive-aggressive personality and such personalities can only only cause misery, this is a way to dominate and also to get what a person wants either way, sometimes beign good sometimes not beign good,

Yes she is mean, cunning , there is no doubt, people who behave differently when someone is there and otherwise when someone not there, its bad, you being so well educatd and independent understood it very well

You can choose to not see her or talk to her in life, but at times such personalities stay where we live, they can be our wife, husband, or someone else which we cannot do away with easily

If I have to give you a suggestion, the more you confront her the more pro blems will escalate and bitterness will increase, your sis in law will never see her picture from your eyes, because she is manipulative and abuser

giving hard look not talking is all form of abuse to shun a person from relationship either temporarily or permanently if it keeps repeating...

Dont take this **** ,,, give her a good talk , tell her fiercely that she is not doing righ thing, try to not be abusive if she wants you to be, maintain your decorum and at the same time be firm in telling her... Most of the abusers will back off if confronted. there is no point in suffering silently..