How to grill chicken in a conventional oven?

Discussion in 'NonVegetarian Kitchen' started by Nitha J, Dec 10, 2008.

1. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Hii,
    Lately, I am fancying about grilled chicken breast. But I am a little confused as to which rack I should keep? My cousin told me to keep in second rack, while another friend told me to keep in under the flames for 5-6 mts. I am reluctant to try it as both of them have not tried it, but was giving guesses.
    So if anyone of you has tried grilling chicken in a conventional oven, do help me. The oven in our apartment is a little outdated, I presume. It doesnt have a timer. It has a knob, left side has the temperature and the right side has the option 'broil' (no temperature is mentioned). It has two racks and a small opening down which could hold a cookie-sheet.
    Thanks
    Nitha

2. yenetishashi

yenetishashi Senior IL'ite

hi nitha,
    welcome to IL,:)

so u want to cook grilled chicken ,mmm yummy
    here we get marinated chicken ,i generally wash it appy my own marination and lukily we have new model oven,
    we put al foil for grill and keep in the central rack and temperature is set medium and heat knob is turned in such a way that heat comes from both up and down for the pcs to cook evenly.inbetween we must turn the pcs ,it takes almost half an hr to 45min.

so enjoy ,
    shashi.:thumbsup

3. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shashi,
    Thanks a lot for clearing my doubt. WIll try it and let you know how it came?
    Had brought chicken breast for trying the same, but ended up by making chilly chicken :)
    B/w, Is "medium temperature" somewhere around 350 F?
    Thanks
    Nitha

4. yenetishashi

yenetishashi Senior IL'ite

hi nitha,
    did u prepare your grilled chicken??
    yes ,medium temperature is 350F or 175C.

5. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Not yet Shashi..
    Will let you know though.

6. CanadianGuju

CanadianGuju New IL'ite

Just one more thing that I would add. At the end usually cook chicken for 45 mins at 350 or 175 and then turn on the broiller place on top rack uncovered and cook for 5-10 mins you need to stand there and watch so that you don't burn it but it looks like its been grilled. do this to both sides and then enjoy.

1 person likes this.