1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How to go to the US as a Dependent

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by sanju, Mar 10, 2008.

1. sanju

sanju New IL'ite

Can u help me.

My husband went for MS ,he went recently to US.After 1yr our marriage would be.But i whated to go only on dependent visa.I doesnt whated to do any job/study.So please tell me which is the best way to go.My husband said it is difficult for him to arrage f2 as he has to show bank balance.So tell me any option to go.Another thing is he would take OPT this april.

2. sanju

sanju New IL'ite

Re: How To Go Us Through Depending!

waiting for answer...please say who knows it

3. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Sanju - can you make your post a bit more clear? It seems like your husband is in the US and you are trying to join him, right? Is he not able to sponsor you?

I am also moving your thread to "General Discussion - USA & Canada" so that you get more response than Money Matters forum

4. sanju

sanju New IL'ite

Thanku for your reply!

Ya my husband is in US.As he went recently for MS through f1 visa,he said he cant sponser .He said it is diffficult for him to show all bank balance. So can u suggest any option for me to go.Another thing still i didnt get married.Next febuary our marriage would be,but just planning in mean time.

5. eternalbliss

eternalbliss New IL'ite

From your post i understood the following

1.Your fiancee is in US on a Student Visa
    2.You are yet to be married,therefore you dont have your marriage certificate with you.
    3.You would like to join him here as a dependent.

From what i know you have the following options:

He must provide your marriage certificate.If you were to apply after him you should provide a copy of his passport and visa, along with all other required documents.
    Please read the information in the link below.

Student Visas

In addition,your fiancee should provide additional financial evidence to support you.Does he have an on-campus job?

If that wouldnt work for you,you would have to apply for a visitor's visa and travel to US under that permit.

If that doesnt work out,you have to wait until he changes his status to a work permit and sponsers you legally as a dependent (H-4)

6. eternalbliss

eternalbliss New IL'ite

1.You have to show proof of marriage/Marriage certificate if you would like to come as a dependent.
    2. If you would like to come before your wedding,you have to come on a visitors visa.
    3.If that doenst work out,you have to wait until your husband has a work permit through which he can legally sponser you as a dependent

7. sanju

sanju New IL'ite

If we show marriage photos do i get visa...without any bank amount..or should he sponser me.bcoz as i said ours would be in febauary..immedialy will i get visa..to go with him

8. sowmyapbhat

sowmyapbhat Senior IL'ite

If you want to go to the US as a dependent, your husband has to prove that he will be able to support you financially.

If he is on an F1 visa, he has to provide proof of sufficient funds (around $5000 per dependent) for your F2 visa to be processed.

If he is on a work visa (any type - H1 or L1), his salary statement has to be shown to the officials before they can decide on a visa for his dependents.

Proof of marriage (marriage certificate) is necessary at the time of the visa interview. Marriage photos are supplementary evidence, in case the officials are not convinced by the certificate.

If your visa is approved after the interview, then you will get your stamped passport within two weeks, and you can travel any time after that.

Hope this helps,
    Regards,
    Sowmya