1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

How to go about building your own independant house

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by vjbunny, Jul 9, 2010.

1. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ladies:hiya,
    I am gonna tell you my experience of building own house and I want all of you to input your suggestions and experiences.
    My Dh works in private sector so he hops from job to job in this way we were at Indore, Nasik, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Bengaluru when we came to Bengaluru being our native state we wanted to have our own HSH (Home sweet Home) we had the experience of living in apartment where security is great but construction not good as one or the other things go leaky and to put it right sometimes you have to ask your upstair resident to get it fixed if they dont then you have to bear the ...... from their house so I wanted independant house not apartment. We began by searching for plot first we contacted broker and collected info from friends who built theirown HSH I studied newspaper article esp Times of India's and The Hindu's Property supplements where readers asked about their owes regarding property purchase this helped me in noting down any discrepancy in property docs which we got from broker all the plots shown by brokers happened to have some problem I wld like to share one in which the docs were okay but the layout diagram showed the site which we were checking usually was meant for road when we asked the broker he said no sir nothing like it and began to say some gibberish since we werent concerned we said no to that plot from then we asked our friends to inform if they know any plot by chance one friend told us about one plot and we liked it and also all docs seemed ok and we consulted alawyer to rule out any future problems all ended well then we got loan and registered the plot. One thing I regret much is not hiring an architect we dodnt know anyone and we went ahead with a contractor who said he would design the house as well as construct it as per vasthu we belived him and we wanted to have some space for plants/garden on 3 sides of plot he said he will do itand then constructed it one thing you need to know about contractor is to make sure he employs experienced professional for electric and plumbing and also to ask him for plumbing and wiring diagram which he didnot give us believe me it is useful for future work. I suggest you to study well about all aspects of building like cement type, sand purity, how to mix, wire types, switch types, wiring for invertor, MSBs RSBs and how much you may need and everything also you need to visit the construction site daily to ensure thatconstruction is going as per agreement and so on.......

2. Delo

Delo Senior IL'ite

Yr background seems quite similar to mine .Yes we too made our house,lot of headache before 'n after.We did hv an architect tho' but my husband had to wrack his brain more.In an independent house,help,security are the most nagging needs.If u hv these,nothing like it!We don't so sadly enough looking for a hi-rise.Will miss living in this house 'coz I saw it grow brick by brick 'n worked BLOODY hard to keep it beautiful,nice.

3. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Truely said Delo,
    If we dont know anything we will be fleeced by the contractors......... architects Mason n what not..... Do you know the contractor left:drowning when we disagreed with the quality of wood he used for doors n windows. We got stuck with low quality windows luckily we spotted b4 more damage so got good doors n got it fixed by carpenter but the jamb we cant do anything. Painter ddidnt want to clean the paint drops that fell on tiles etc:bonk:bonk ..........

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010