1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

how to give Zucchini/brocoli

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by CoolIndianGirl, Jun 23, 2014.

1. CoolIndianGirl

CoolIndianGirl Bronze IL'ite

Hello Ladies,

I m mom of 9 month old. Please suggest me good baby food recipes with brocoli or zucchini.
    Also Right now i m give two dates daily as sweetener for puree. is it ok to give daily.? i m yet to give eggplant/onion to him. Not sure how to give those. Please share the recipes with those as well if i can give.

Thanks.

2. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Hi, I have a 6 month old, so I usually pressure cook the brocolli ( I only use the florets and not the stalk) with very little water. I then let it cool and puree it. While serving I add powdered cumin, ajwain or fennel.

For zuchinni I dont peel it, I choose one which is tender and has no big seeds. I will cut up in pieces, pressure cook it and puree it. The skin is very tender for a zuchinni so it will puree quickly. I sometimes add a little bit of fresh basil leaves to the zuchinni and then pressure cook, puree.

For a 9 month old, maybe a little texture will be good. You can mix pureed zuchinni with millet/barley etc, apple puree and fresh basil chopped, that would be a good combo.

Theres a great baked dish with broccoli and parsnips you could try. Grease a baking dish (or small individual ramekin), layer it will thinly sliced parsnips, pour 2 tbsp low sodium stock, add broccolli or cauliflower puree (made with butter) over it. Add parmesan cheese on top. Bake for 15 min till bubbly and golden. Serve.

You can also serve plain textured vegetables with different spices like, allspice, cumin, cardamon, cinnamon, turmeric, pepper, paprika, fennel, garlic powder, ginger powder, nutmeg and vanilla extract (the good stuff-organic, not artificial flavored ones) as a sweetener.

I am not sure about the dates as sweetener.

Hope this helps,
    Cooks.

3. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes it is absolutely ok to give dates on a daily basis. But you might want to give salt version of purees too. Dates is rich in iron which is required for babies at this age.

Broccoli - I pressure cook, mash and add butter and give to my son.

You should try introducing textures.

4. sahityaj

sahityaj Silver IL'ite

I add broccoli florets or zuccini pieces to baby's rice or kichdi , mash it and give it. I also mix broccoli with carrot or potato, steam, puree . Then add cheese , jeera powder and give it to him. If he doesnt eat like that, i heat ghee in a pan, add jeera, then add the above mentioned puree to it, add some water and boil. It becomes a nice soup for him.