1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

how to get rid of small red color insects in dry grains

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by troubledmom, Feb 12, 2014.

1. troubledmom

troubledmom Gold IL'ite

Friends,
    I am posting for suggestions because I am completely fed up. I dont know how this pest invaded my kitchen. At some stage I must have brought a tainted bag from the Indian grocery store. Normally I open the bags and transfer dals, grains etc into my containers. Anyway the infestation has built up a lot now. Even newly bought stuff is showing the little insects small, deep red color inside within a week or two. I have cleaned out the shelves a couple of times but it has not fixed the problem. Please give suggestion on how to rid my dry pantry of this menace. I dont have any other kind of pest in my home. No cockroaches, flies etc. Only this insect is is appearing in the dry food- rice, dals, quinoa flour etc. while suggesting pls bear in mind weather is cold/wet and not much sun nowadays. Please suggest how to rid my containers of this pest. Only stopgap measure is to keep new stuff in different room or garage but how long can I do that. Please suggest something quickly.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014

2. vjan29

vjan29 Platinum IL'ite

In the each dry grains box put one dry red chilly. For the dry red chilly effect insects will not stay there.

3. alpsheidi

alpsheidi Senior IL'ite

if you could get boric powder, a little can be mixed with the dry foods rice , dal . (ofcourse not with the flours..as I haven't used mixing with it).

the insects will die and later when using rice, dal wash it thoroughly.
    I do this and it helps keeping insects away.

1 person likes this.
  4. troubledmom

troubledmom Gold IL'ite

Thank you vjan. I have a question, wont the dry chilly make the dal spicy? Also what can I put in the shelf so the critters stay away. Looks like they are moving from container to container. Please suggest herbal or home remedies only I dont want to use pesticide or toxic stuff like chemicals.

5. troubledmom

troubledmom Gold IL'ite

Thank you for your suggestion alpsheidi. I dont want to use chemicals like boric acid or pesticides in the kitchen. Other places it is still okay but not for kitchen or in food items. Please suggest accordingly if you know of some herbal or home remedy type of thing to chase away these horrible pests. Thanks.

6. vjan29

vjan29 Platinum IL'ite

No, putting one or two dry chilly in the grains box it won't become spicy. We have been following this for years. When the grains are over, take out the red dry chilly, use fresh red dry chilly when you refill the grains.

I am not sure about US, in India we have special chalk piece available for these house insects, we buy that put lines inside cub boards and around the containers. If you are really keen on herbal remedy, then you can put Holy Basil (Thulsi), but when it become dry it wont have effect.

Also, another idea is, paint your cub boards or use varnish , for paint smell no insects will come.

7. alpsheidi

alpsheidi Senior IL'ite

u can try adding dried neem leaves, will vanish ur insects.
    but doubting if u can get it therethinkingsmiley