How To Get Phd Without Enrolling In A Program

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by ChennaiExpress, Jul 9, 2018.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

As you may know, my waking hours is spent at the office and taking care of my Dad.

In my free time I enjoy painting, and have started to do my own programming projects. I am hoping these self-directed programming projects will help me realize my area of interest for PhD.

Question is, how to get PhD without enrolling in a program. Do I publish a paper, create a website.

Someone please guide me.

2. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

You cannot get a Ph.D. without enrolling in a program. Think of it this way: A Ph.D. is a degree. It is an academic credential granted by an accredited institution, a document attesting to your expertise and contribution of original work in a particular field. You cannot get a doctoral degree from any respectable, accredited institution without meeting their requirements. That is what "enrolling in a program" means - that you jumped through some hoops they set for you.

Graduate research is a full-time commitment in most cases. Indian universities are sometimes very flexible about granting part-time Ph.D.-candidate status to employed students (usually college lecturers and the like) - however, I tend to be somewhat suspicious of the quality of the work accomplished.

3. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

A PhD is an educational degree awarded by an academic institution after completing a rigorous program of coursework and an original dissertation. You can sometimes get credit for the coursework based on what you have done earlier but you will have to work with a mentor to complete your research.
    I know some people who have found creative ways to incorporate getting a PhD degree with their current jobs but it is still through their work and has formal requirements.
    How about identifying some classss you are interested in and signing up?

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  4. ChennaiExpress

I'm in USA, if that makes a difference. In my case, I'm unsure if I can do full-time.

On the other hand, if I can do research using computers that solves a current issue I face (and I'm sure lot of caretakers face), then it would be worth while pursuing.

5. ChennaiExpress

I think that is a great idea, i.e. identifying classes I am interested in and signing up.

At this point, I am self-teaching myself certain programming languages that is heavily used in data analysis, and data visualization. There are other courses that I am looking into. This is an avenue worth pursuing.

6. sokanasanah

sokanasanah IL Hall of Fame

You need to first sort out why you want a Ph.D. What exactly does it mean to you? A mark of achievement? A better/more interesting job? A Dr. in front of your name?

You know, it's no magic talisman. The degree is mandatory for some jobs, but that's about it. Some of the greatest minds in history - Darwin, Newton - did not have a Ph.D. They just got on with their work. In fields that require elaborate - and expensive! - instrumentation, a graduate program is necessary. If you want to work with a world-renowned expert in some field, it is a good way to gain access. In and of itself, it is meaningless. The opportunity costs are high. Don't forget, you have to add 5-6 years of lost income at your current pay-grade to your cost-benefit calculations. It is unfortunate that we have so fetishized this credential!
    :beer-toast1:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    friscomom and blissofmylife like this.
  7. ChennaiExpress

I want to do it to prove to myself I can do it.

Esp since I've been surrounded by ppl who said I won't amount to anything.

Want to prove it to myself! Want to turn my painful experiences and how I cope with the information-overload into breaking research --- something of me contributed to the worlds ocean on knowledge.