How to get over it?

Discussion in 'Pets and Animal Lovers' started by kanaka Raghavan, Oct 31, 2009.

1. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

My sister had a spitts dog called Steffi.She died 15 vdays back due to kidney failure.She was very cute small made and with lovely black grapelike eyes.She was a sprity creature ever on the move.She was a like a member of the family and knew each of ours.My sister's world revolved around and she took good care of her.Her dog got priority over her children.Now as the dog died after 13 years,it is shattering to see her.She is unable to get over the loss and she not able to carry on.Please suggest what can be done.We told her to adopt one more.But she thinks she will not be able do so.Can some animal lover suggest how she should go about it?

2. shel_28

shel_28 Silver IL'ite

Its so sad....
    No words can comfort in this situation. Even We have undergone this situation. We were so depressed when we lost our beloved Jackie. It took nearly 2 months to come over it. But still he rules our mind every now and then. We feel how the loneliness could be without him.
    Instead of asking her to adopt one, You can present her a Dog. Even lot of people told us to adopt a dog after Jackie's demise. We didint. One day, Our family friend gifted a pup. And the pup enlightened our home back.

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Just leave your sister alone and let her grieve for a while. Postponing grief just makes the process longer. When she is done she will find her new little family member.

4. Bhooma

Bhooma Bronze IL'ite

Kanaka

My sympathies with your sister on the loss of her loved pup.

Nothing anybody will say or do is going to help her . Just leave her alone for sometime. I am sure she will get round to getting an other pup.

Believe me, it has happened to me, and even though I cannot forget Jeff, Joshua is now my lifeline .

Bhooma

5. dollysonpari

dollysonpari Silver IL'ite

I feel very sorry..A true pet lover finds difficult to over come the grief . Even my cousin Found very difficult to overcome the grief after her pet's death.

She was really depressed for more than two months.. Later Her Dad brought another pet.. The new comer will surely make to forget the grief...

No need to forget the old one but still can accept the new one..

My suggestion is better get a new puppy and give it in her hand .. it will really change her mood... dont ask her permission to get a new pet.. My cousin's Dad did the same...

6. Paulina

Paulina Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Hi Kanaka,

Deeply sorry to hear about your sister's grief .Only genuine pet lovers can understand the situation.
    We went through this several times as our family is crazy about dogs .every time we had to face a loss , we promptly replaced the dear departed one with a similar pup of the same breed and colour and christened it by the same name .We felt that way we kept alive the memory and cheered us up by imagining that the departed one has not really left us forever but has taken a new incarnation in the new pet.As one gets involved with rearing a new pup the severity of the pain of loss decreased and we continued to cherish the memories of happy days with our departed pets.
    Ofcourse this has to be done with support from the whole family in unison.She cannot be expected to go out and look for a new pet .I'm sure this is the best solution as other pet lovers have suggested too earlier .
    All the best for this venture.

7. Custard

Custard Gold IL'ite

Hello Kanaga,
    As every one feels, only Dog-lovers will be able to understand the pain, its nice that you care about ur sis. I feel u should give her somtime before bringing in a new pup. When one is too much attached to the dog, its really difficult to accept another with the same extent as the previous one. But TIME IS THE BEST HEALER and definetely a new pup will brighten up her life, but after sometime.
    I think ur sis must have been a good caretaker of her dog, as he lived for 13years.So I really wish another pup is blessed with having ur sis as his mother.Good Luck :thumbsup

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kanaka,

Very sorry to read about this and hope your sister has come to terms with her loss.

You have great advice from some of the best animal lovers here. Hope that helps.

L, Kamla

9. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Shel,

Your thoughtful words with advice has fetched you a nomination in the FP . Thanks to Custard that I got to read this thread.

Lets hope Kanaka's sister finds some solace soon.

L, Kamla

10. shel_28

shel_28 Silver IL'ite

Dear Kamla,

Today only happened to notice this thread. I was so surprised to see that my post was nominated for FP.

Thank you Custard. :)