how to get normal delivery

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by sankasailaja, Oct 23, 2007.

1. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

Re: normal delivery

I think there are some simple things that we can do to increase our chance of normal vaginal birth, which I think is what most of us here prefer to have. I have no previous experience of giving birth, nor have done enough research on the topic. The information I have is mostly from the ActiveBirth class that I started to go to since my 20th week.

What I gathered from those classes is that fetal positioning is something that has to be considered carefully. Some of our lifestyles, including simple things like relaxing our back comfortably on sofas, lying on back etc have to be given up.

Spend some time doing practising pain relieving techniques (including breathing) so that during labour we do not spend lot of energy screaming etc, this would ensure that even our labour is long we are not pushed into a C-section. We have to practise these things before hand with our birth partner. Our instructor told that during labour our brain is partly shut down and we may not remember what position or technique suited us the best and the partner can tell us and we should be able to follow.

It is good to remain active, but do not push too hard. Listen to our body and do only what it allows you to do. LIke if you have SPD (symphysis pubic disfunction, pain that you ahve when you climb stairs, change sides while lying down or the pain that you have when you lift your legs to wear shoes, trousers etc) do not walk too fast, slowing down is very important.

It is possible that even after all this you may end up in C-section, dont know why. IAt least in one of my friends case, who was very active during her pregnancy, when the labour was long and when baby started showing distress, they had to go for C-section in the end. she was very disappointed :)

Poonam, regarding episiotomy, I heard that it is better than having a tear. Anyway, the births I heard of among my friends in UK, all ended up in tear and stitches.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

@Rekha, great you are preparing for child birth. Agree with almost all you say. Re:episiotomy. When epi was introduced in the 60s medical fraternity believed it will prevent the pelvic floor muscle from weakening and preventing latter-day problems like uterine, bladder prolapse. More recent research show there is no direct benefit and a routine epi is no longer required. This is the policy in the government-run hospitals of Tamil Nadu. With a first degree/second degree tear, the healing is much quicker than episiotomy.

3. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

Tikka, thanks for the details on episiotomy. Here in UK also, they dont seem to do it, everyone I know had a tear ;-) the logic I heard for favouring episiotomy is that it is easier to stitch it afterwards (and hence less painful) compared to tear which can be zig-zaggy.

4. lvarada

lvarada Bronze IL'ite

Hi, When I went for my routine check up yesterday the DR was saying that I might need to get admitted prior to my due date due to my diabetics... After reading throught the various posts about c-section and vagianal delivery... even though I prefer to have a normal delivery, will by any chance my diabetic state will hinder it? What I mean is can a FTM having diabetic (under control from last month, still on diet and on daily insulin injections) have a normal delivery or will my sugar level play a villian? Planning to discuss with my Dr about the various options I have...but wanted Deepa, tikka and other mommies inputs too. My excercise routine is bad.. not much walking (due to the distance I travel for work every day) at the end of it I am totally drained out of energy, so its walking during weekends, simple chores at home thats it. Hope I don't end with a c-section :(

5. Vinothini

Vinothini New IL'ite

I would suggest you to stay calm and dont even think of what kind of labor your are going to face. Think of your new baby, listen to devotinal songs, do regular walking. I did nothing but walking. My son was 3.9kgs with big big head. i cant even imagine now how i delivered normally. All the best for a safe labor.

6. dubbi

dubbi Bronze IL'ite

Hi Priya

I will make some points but I hope I dont add to the anxiety:

Baby weight prediction by u/s has a 10 to 15% margin for error. Also macrosomia or big baby for diabetic woman which is the condition often quoted by doctor is 4 kgs or more.

Yes Sugar could have definitely been under control with just diet.

Also Engagement can happen before labor too. Always trial of labor is a much better option. That means letting the woman go into labor , allowing the harmones to start functioning and then deciding on normal or C-section.

But I think the most important point is that the baby was conceived through an IUI and that would probably been th emost compelling reason like Tikkasaid. In fact assisted fertility centers have a very high C-section because of precious baby concept.

Its good for you to make an attempt to know why thia has happened and thereby knowing the facts will help you to heal and move on.

Cheers
    Deepa

7. dubbi

dubbi Bronze IL'ite

Lalitha

Ask your doctor what are the risks of waiting till labor starts. Now its becoming a trend that women with GD automatically have macrosomia (big baby )and need to have C-section.

But that is only when sugar is not under control. YOu seem to be doing very well controlling your sugar levels and also travelling, working itself would be enough activity for you.

If Macrosomia / big baby is the only reason because your sugar is under control , the chances for that is very less. Also big baby means above 4 kgs. I had a normal delivery , no GD my son was 3.6 and Vinothini 's baby 3.9kgs. So you can have a normal delivery just read up and ask your doc reasons, explanation and what you can do to like constant monitoring your condition, baby's condition and your sugar levels.

My best wishes to you

Deepa

8. joshila

joshila Bronze IL'ite

hi gokilaravi...
    congrats to the mom-to-be ...the best tip to give you "STAY CALM RELAXED"
    continue with the walking you do till ur last day....1hr walking is the ideal. spilt for morn & eve & do it. even few pradakshinas arnd the temple wld benefit you both physically & spiritually :D
    last few weeks it maybe difficult but still dont leave it. It really really helps.
    deep breathing during your labour also helps.. Im not sure whether yogaasanas u can start so late but certain stretch exercises can be done by you. chk with ur dr about that.she wld be the best guide.
    I had both my kids normally....I believed that it was becos of the yoga & walking I did till the last day.
    HAVE FUN...ENJOY YOUR PREGNANCY..THATS THE BEST PHASE OF MOTHERHOOD . RELISH THE PAMPERING ....goodluck ...

9. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Lalitha, I am eminently unqualified to respond to this. For one, though my sugar levels were elevated and I did not do much exercising (exercise induced dyspnea that we were very afraid will become uncontrolled asthma), diet control was good enough to keep sugar levels below the 120 mark for me. I had the opposite of macrosomia - my baby was small for his gestational age. But then so was I - as a baby, that is :).
    Household chores do not really help increase metabolism. I dont know how you commute, if it is by bus try and walk as much as you can. Take the longer route to the bus stop/auto stands. If it is by car, squeeze in extra walking distance between parking and your office. Take a 10 min brisk walk after meals. There is a theory that 10 mins you take here and thre add up. That could possibly change the OB's mind. Anyway, from your ticker, you are not yet in your third trimester.. so you do have time to think and go back and forth with your Doc about it.

10. lvarada

lvarada Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Deepa and Tikka for the info... In the last U/S taken on 6th month, I specifically checked with the Dr whether baby is big as my Diabetic Dr keep scarring about having a big baby if my sugar levels are not under control... but she said the baby is normal for the gestational age.. but I realise that with few more months to go the baby can still develop into a a big baby...Working on the sugar levels... will definetly pose these questions to my Dr in the next appointment...Tikka, I travel by train and auto...I was feeling down as I am not able to walk for more than 10 mins as others do..but if even 10 mins here and there makes a difference then from today I will happily start walking :)
    thanks for the support.