1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to get my 8 mo old to drink water

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by curiousgal, Jul 11, 2010.

1. curiousgal

curiousgal Bronze IL'ite

my 8 mo old son doesnt like water at all.
    I used to give him a cpl of tsps after lunch....but he never liked it, so I stopped it.
    But I wanted to get him started on drinking water.
    how did you ladies do it? in what container do they drink water? and how much water and how frequently do your LOs drink?
    need your advice pls.

2. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

I gave him water in the sippy since he was 5.5 months old..He always liked water and still likes it..

Did you try giving it in a sippy? Or an open cup? or a straw cup?

May be you could do 80% water and 20% juice justt to get him started then slowly cut down the juice and give him completely water..

Just keep trying..Consistency is the key...

3. curiousgal

curiousgal Bronze IL'ite

I did try giving him water with a spoon.....I tried earlier with the sippy cup....but since both water as well as the sippy cup were new to him, he rejected both of them.....and yeah, I didnt try later.
    Should I give him water in his bottle for now?
    If I feed him water with spoon, he does take about 0.5 oz or so....but that's all...and then he starts making faces.

4. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Is he used to the bottle? If so you can try giving him water in it...But getting him used to the bottle now is not a good idea..

But since he is 8 months old, I would say try the sippy cup...Let him get used to the sippy first by just looking at it...Don't force him to drink from it...Let him play with it for a while..He might play with it for few days..Then when he is playing you can try putting the spout in his mouth..If he is not interested, then don't force him because if you force him then he might not take it at all..Keep offering the sippy at different time during the day...May be you could drink from the sippy for a day or two and show him that it's o.k to drink from it..

If one sippy does not work then try different ones...If he is having hard time to suck from it then take out the valve in the sippy..Let him suck water then once he gets used to it put back the valve...

Try using 80% water and 20% juice and see if he takes it or do 50:50 water and juice initially..

Keep trying..