1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

How To Get Good And Deep And Restful Sleep?

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by Needtobestrong, Sep 14, 2020.

1. Needtobestrong

Needtobestrong Platinum IL'ite

I have generally been under stress due to health issues, family problems and this Covid situation has magnified my problems a lot..stolen my peace of mind...even I feel I sleep for 7 to 8 hours at night , I still wake up feeling tired and groggy and irritable...I crave for a post lunch afternoon nap...after taking nap for half n hour I still feel tired at night...also feel stressed..
    I’m already having problem of hypothyroidism and taking the appropriate thyroid tablet, I already underwent health checkup and have taken appropriate multi vitamin and iron supplements including vitamin D ..so no question of deficiency..
    I’m not working now, but need energy and to be active for my other responsibilities at home..feeling sluggish...
    I tried few breathing exercises and Yoga beginner poses..
    ANy way i can get good, restful and deep sleep at night so I can be fresh and energetic throughout the day?

2. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Check all your vitamins level. U might have D vitamin deficiency. Take good quality liquid multi vitamin if possible or eat lot of fruits and green leafy vegetables. U can make smoothie with spinach or any leafy greens mixed with fruits like orange, banana, apple, grapes etc.

Work on your root problems like sluggish thyroid. Drink organic celery juice every morning first thing on empty stomach. If u can’t find celery then use cucumber instead. Replace your Indian chai with 2 green tea bags without sugar milk only in morning. Don’t drink caffeine. Limit caffeine after morning, Rest of the day drink lemon water with honey. Try to avoid dairy, eggs, processed foods, junk or ready to eat packaged food snacks as much as u can. Take ashwagandha every day. U can massage few drops of lavender oil on scalp before sleeping. Good luck and take care.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
    Needtobestrong and anika987 like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

How much of caffeine you drink everyday?Trying to avoid or limit the intake and before 3 have your tea or coffee.If you ask me,take it down to just one cup a day.

Drink warm water on an empty stomach.

Your food habits make a lot of difference.

I tried my diet with Ayurveda and worked well for me.I am predominantly a vata dosha and from what you say you look like PITTA VATA person.

I used to feel tired in the afternoon,disturbed sleep and anxiety and once I cut off caffeine,sugar..it made a world of difference.Despite working out well,eating right..did not know why things did not work but when I started eating food right for my body,things changed even my stress level.

Some people will be caffeine sensitive and it triggers stress a lot.limits also onions and garlic.

Also,one hour before bedtime,do not watch any tv/ipad.

Take oil massage bath once a week,

try to get up and sleep at the same time.

The above will be very tough for one or two weeks and you will feel like giving up,but try your best and it will work.

If the above did not work and still you have tough sleep,try to then consult a doc.

Needtobestrong and blindpup10 like this.
  4. Needtobestrong

I only drink one cup tea a day..not more than that..never had much caffeine..
    No coffee...it’s not an issue with falling asleep, but with getting deep and restful sleep and feeling energetic...there were days when I slept from 10.30 to 6.30 or 11 to 7 and still needed an afternoon nap for half to one hour...
    Even 8 hours sleep doesn’t seem to be enough for me, I’m not doing any heavy duty workouts or going outside for work..so there shouldn’t be any reason for me to crave so much sleep..
    Yes I can try not watching TV and limiting screen time before sleep..

anika987 likes this.
  5. sociallifein30s

sociallifein30s Gold IL'ite

Seems like you sleep well, but you just feel weak and not active during the day.

generally they say if you are feeling weak, you have these sugar cravings. Do you feel like eating sweet all day?
    Then thats something you need to check.
    Try going out in open air parks or gardens , barefoot on grass. And of course pranayama.

These are not out of experience. But just something I heard. If I am feeling weak, it is mostly out of circumstances and it will be sadness.
    If I can help it, I try to do something. Otherwise, I keep anxiety eating.

Needtobestrong likes this.
  6. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Op

It’s normal for all mothers to have anxiety or stress. But with right lifestyle u can change your mood. U need to practice to stay happy. Laughing yoga is recommended for that. Try to eat more and more healthy food every day. Breathing exercise, yoga, meditation helps lot. Try not to think negative. Before sleeping and while sleeping u should focus on breathing and remove all other thoughts. It takes lot of practice. Mind keep wondering but bring back focus on breathing. Remove fear anxiety, it’s not going to help. Instill in your brain only when u get good sleep your energy and productivity will be high next day.

7. Needtobestrong

Yes I crave for sugary sweets or caffeine...but I’ve stopped giving in and cut down on refined sugar completely...instead would have some small quantity of some fruit or dry fruits..tea only one cup a day....walks are ruled out due to Covid situation worsening in my locality..else the fresh air would have done a lot of good to me...

8. lalithasharma9

lalithasharma9 Bronze IL'ite

Hello OP,

Felt like replying you back after seeing your stress levels, as our other IL members suggested cut down caffeine/sugar

Before an hour of sleep at night practice pranayama esp humming bee called brahmari and Nadi sodhana alternate nostrils breathing , it will release your stress and gives deep sleep(quality of sleep)

You can do this early morning 5-6 also

This will help you in reducing sugar cravings and afternoon naps will be reduced

Slowly include asanas that will give you mindfulness of what to eat and what not to eat

Pranayams/asanas/good food together gives deep sleep at night and energy in the morning

9. ProudIndian

ProudIndian Gold IL'ite

Op

are you sleeping with your kids by any chance? I used to sleep with my small kids that affected my sleep. I had guilt of leaving kids in daycare while I go for job. But it affected my health due to lack of sleep. Put kids in separate room if possible.

10. sociallifein30s

sociallifein30s Gold IL'ite

if you are craving for sugar then the body just needs it - for whatever reason. You need to cut down on the cravings itself which needs to be checked out by an expert. But forcing yourself not to eat sweet when you are craving for it is just being hard on yourself. Just dont over do. Maybe 1 sweet will keep your cravings satisfied. I think it was Rujuta Dawekar who says eating 1 tea spoon ghee keeps these sugar cravings away. I will find the link for you.

Yea walks are being tough. For me, I am just going out very early in the morning when people are not that much around. Or a little late like 9pm. 9pm in India in my area is fine. not so secluded and not so much rush either. In the USA, 9pm , specially now is very dark and deserted already. you take care sister!