How To Get A Job After A Career Break?

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by gknew, May 30, 2023.

1. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Hi
    Admin- I am not sure if this post doesn't fits in here. Please move to respective forum of it doesn't fit here.

I worked for 8 years after I finished college. I worked in an MNC in India and I was on a leadership role when I quit. I took a break and planned to join back after couple of years.
    I couldn't join back because of personal reasons. And that dragged me for ten years. So it's been a decade since I quit. Meanwhile, we moved to US from India.

I got my ead last year. I was working in one technology which is still in the market with good openings. But I have to brush up my skills from scratch and have to update myself on that technology.

So I decided to change the technology to a current one and did a certification on it now.
    I updated my resume and I did mention about my career break as I don't want to do hide that.

I get calls but most of them ask for the recent experience and they says that they prefer currently working candidates.

I am not giving up and I have been trying for last 9 months. Been trying everyday and end up getting calls in which they say they prefer currently working candidates with w2.

I am just asking here for some inputs. If you have joined a job after few years break, how did you get through? This makes me feel depressed sometimes and feel like failure since I quit my job before which I shouldn't have.
    Any tips which you would like to share?
    Thanks.

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

Look at some freelance options - dont worry about the payments - get the experience in your current updated technology and domain that you want the job in.
    In freelancing projects, you can bid the lowest amounts and there is always someone looking to pay minimum for the latest technology - just ensure you get good feedback from them

gknew and Thyagarajan like this.
  3. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

All folks texting threadable post here in IL are freelancers and they don't get or expect any payment though some say in the nature of complaint few folks are paid by either google or website owner. For reasons of privacy I can't disclose the source from where I got the information.
    But it offers experience, insight for novices to become future good bold and beautiful writers. Some folks were even approached to contribute to their magazines.
    After my superannuation in 1998, once when I approached a CEO of small scale steel-fabricator for part time or full time or free lancing, he suggested that I spend my money to get ISO 9000 certification for their manufacturing activities and a fee of few lacs only promised. It was time bound. Reluctantly, I accepted. Against target of within six months, I could finish it within some 80 or 90 days receiving able guidance from my late classmate cum colleague who had the expertise from Ashok Leland.(AL )
    His -CEO - joy knew no bound when I shared with my AL FRIEND the total fees of few lacs and the bonus he paid to me. Working from home was a pleasure.

Last edited: May 30, 2023
  4. SGBV

SGBV IL Hall of Fame

My husband had almost similar gap in his career due to some unpleasant experiences in his life. This has made it almost impossible to rejoin his preferred career for a long time.

So, I suggested him to start taking up freelancing jobs. Initially, they didn't go well. But he had to put his heart and soul to this option to find something that is worthy.
    Finally, he received some consultancies, and earned a good money.
    That eventually helped him to network with important people who ended up referring to a professional career.
    After almost a decade break, he is going to start professional position in June.

I hope this helps :)

gknew and Thyagarajan like this.
  5. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@gknew -
    Look at Returnships tailored for returning caregivers focused on mid career level entry into the workforce. Path forward is an organization that matches returning professionals with programs such as these but you don’t have to register with them. You can apply to each of these program yourself based on what suits your need.
    Here is the path forward link - Returnships – Path Forward
    I think path forward helps with tech interview prep et al but I’m not sure. They have periodic sessions for resume prep/ interviews and what nots. Wish they were around back in the day.

I know Accenture and Deloitte both have Returnships that were actively hiring last month. You should go to these company sites and apply. Market is tight right now but hopefully you will get a foot in the door somewhere.

Good luck!

Induslady, gknew and Thyagarajan like this.
  6. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thanks for this suggestion. I will explore this. I never tried freelancing before. I will start with this.

7. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Wow .. Such an inspiring and motivating response.
    I wish good luck to your husband and I believe you are his strong motivational factor which might have pushed him through this to achieve his goals.

8. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thanks you @Laks09 . I will definitely look into this. To be honest, I never heard of this program before and none of my friends who are currently working have told me this.
    I will definitely check these two companies and also other winds if they have this program.

Laks09 likes this.
  9. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Get professional help for the resume and LinkedIn profile. I have recommended Services — EIR Resumes to many friends and they've found it better than services they had already tried. If she doesn't work out for you, try someone else but I'd suggest stay away from big resume service companies.

In addition to freelancing for getting fresh experience and Returnships, keep in mind that any job hunting is a fulltime job in itself. Even for people who've been out of work only a short time. Make the "trying everyday" to be a focused 2-4 hours. Maybe you are already doing it - maintain a spreadsheet to track all the companies you have applied to, and the status of each application.

Do you have any friends or friends of friends who have their own company?

Induslady, Laks09 and gknew like this.
  10. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thanks for the link. I will reach out to them for the resume. I think I will definitely need help on that.
    Yeah I am spending any 5 to 6 hours for this everyday. That's the most frustrating part as I spend more time on this without any responses yet from any applications so far.

No, none of my friends have companies here. One of my friend's friend is running a company in India. So I am planning to try that as a freelancing option.

I am just browsing about returnships as I never heard of it before. Most of the companies have this program but I don't know how this works. Like a paid training program.
    Right now,I am not focusing more on the income/payment part. I think I should be ok with anything to start with and build from there.

Rihana likes this.