1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

How to freeze chopped onions

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by kareena16, Sep 10, 2010.

1. kareena16

kareena16 New IL'ite

Hi all Wonderful ladies/Girls

Iam in fix...I told my husband to get 2 bags of onions, and he got 12 bags..can anyone suggest how can i store them...

Kareena

2. shubhasiddharth

shubhasiddharth Bronze IL'ite

12 bags? thats a lot..from where did he buy it? if you havent opened all of them, you can always return them.I am not too sure as to how you would use 12 bags...and freezing might not really work ( I have tried and failed miserably).

3. joshila

joshila Bronze IL'ite

OMG ...12 bags .. I think u can have a market....just kidding thou ...
    I hv never heard anyone freeze onions its like bananas u can't do it.
    Ya, either u return it , or give to your friends . if not atleast make thokku(best use of onions) & that will stay for atleast 6 mths .

4. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

ur DH loves onions :thumbsup

5. aparnanc

aparnanc Bronze IL'ite

Easiest solution is distributing among friends if you can't return it to the store. 12 bags is a looot even if you try to freeze them.

6. neha1

neha1 Silver IL'ite

I might sound weird here but I have frozen onions:hide:. I just chop it finely(or as needed) and put them in freezer boxes/ziploc. Thaw it before use.I have consumed it within 1 week though.
    Another option is : if you makw curries that need onion/tomato paste frequently, you could make tha paste and freeze it in small portions. I have done this. I fry onions, followed by tomatoes wit some spices, cool it and grind it. Finally, freeze it :). Just use this as a base while making gravies.Just thaw it before use.

7. skalluri

skalluri Gold IL'ite

I dont see the problem in freezing the chopped onions, because I bought chopped pepper/onions in frozen section many times and used them in making friend rice/vegetable rice many times. try freezing the choppping onions.

Sujatha.

8. kareena16

kareena16 New IL'ite

Thanks a lot for ur time and answers..

he got it from some mexician store and no return policy...i asked some friends to take them and rest i will chop and freeze them and let u know the end result...

my husband is good cook and love onions too, specily chopping..so i will make him do the chopping part n i 'll freeze them..:thumbsup

9. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

That'll teach him to buy one-bag next time Harhar

10. mstrue

mstrue New IL'ite

Hi Kareena,
    Is there a 'spend-O-mania' bug going around?! :rotfl
    Yesterday, My DH bought 6 boxes of pasta just becoz it was on sale!!!!!!!!! :spin (I already have 4 at home! :drowning)
    I stretched a smile and zipped my mouth immediately. :bowdown God, I am getting good at this. :rotfl

Sorry about going on a tangent. :)
    While I have no tips to dish you out on the surplus onions, I am eagerly waiting to know the ending of this story. Who knows, my DH will oneday knock the door with a sack of onions too :biglaughand the tips I gather from here may come in handy. :crazy