1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to forget hurtful things

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by nightingale786, Oct 27, 2011.

1. nightingale786

nightingale786 New IL'ite

Hello friends,

I am so happy that i found this website recently. After reading many topics in this website, I feel so happy and relieved that i got solutions for many of my problems.

I may need your suggestions on this issue. It's about my husband's sarcastic comments and behaviour with my family. When my parents came here to help me out, he didn't treat them well. He didn't even buy them the minimum required things also..for example blankets/comforters, pillows etc..and i was not in a condition to get up from bed and buy stuff for them. Certain things, i ordered in the internet and i got them a week later. Though he don't say anything directly..he will make sarcastic remarks about such things..like''wow..you are very rich and spening money". He didn't even buy the groceries that are required for them. I fought with him couple of times (which i shouldn't because of my health condition) but no use. Instead he said, my mom is spoiling our relationship, which is not true. My mom's health condition is not at all good ..she is not supposed sleep on the floor because of her disc problems and she also arthritis. Mom and dad slept on the floor with one comforter on the floor for quiet some time. ( I feel so guilty about my condition and i used to get scared of my husband to spend money also) . He used to check pantry every now and then to check if i bought something for them. He expects my mom to do all the house chores.when i got better little bit(atleast able to cut vegetables) , when i tried to help her, he used to say.." why are you doing all these things..you need to take rest" . I told him many times to mind his own business smoothly. One day we went out and i bought tickets for a show for my parents too which is of $15 each. he was saying "oh the prices are increased a lot" . I bought those tickets by using a gift card given by my brothers. I felt like i had to give him an explanation just for $30. They brought me lot of gifts when they came here. Atleast he can keep those in his mind and shouldn't say that.

My brothers boght many things when my parents left and i didn't buy anything for them. Once they left, he started making all sarcastic comments. For ex : he was looking for the camera which i bought long ago. It was in my handbag. Before asking me where it was, he said..do we still have the camera ? I felt really bad and said..does it have legs to run away some where ? The next day, he was looking for the thermometer. He couldn't find it right away, he said..i don't remember whether we missed it somewhere or do we have it..i couldn't stop crying and i didn't say anything. As i mentioned earlier, i had to take physical abuse from him when i asked him about the treatment he has given to my parents. So, i am trying to keep quiet. If i start arguing with him, it will end up with " get out of my house" or physical abuse(atleast he will threat) . If i ask about his sarcastic comments, he will say you imagine things and create stories. If it's just one time or two times,there is a chance. But,it never stopped. Yesterday, he couldn't find his old cell phone which he kept inside a box. He made a sarcastic comment again. I do not know how to handle this situation..please guide me..shall i keep quiet ?

Recently , his parents came here and his mom is extremely wicked and he listens to the stories whatever she says. The other day, my mil said to me that parents do not write their properties to their daughters but they will register under their sons. Within 15 days, my husband was indirectly making comments that parents will give their properties to the sons only. My parents made it clear that they will divide the properties into 3 portions. and my mil was making comments about somebody else " what if the parents die and they don't write the will before they die" . I am feeling so bad about these kind of comments.

My husband spends lot of money on their parents, relatives, family friends. But, he doesn't allow me to spend money ( even though i am earning) and for my parents for the basic things. Smetimes, he asks me to buy things for his parents too. I dont' have any issues with his spending , but i need my freedom too. Whether he want to give it or not, i want to be free and do what ever i like to do. At the same time, i dont want to fight with him all the time. Because i am tired of all the fights because of my straight forward nature. Not every person deserves a straight forward nature. I understood that in a hard way. Please guide me how to handle this. When i was with my parents, when my mom used to say 'no' for certain things, i never used to do that until she says 'yes' . but that nature is not helping me here.

1 person likes this.

2. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

so are you a housewife?? not working? what are the chances of you going to work?? were you expecting when your parents came here or any other medical condition? pls clarify on this.

If you dont have kids yet, I would seriously suggest DO NOT plan for kids..Yes your husband is the abusive type and time for you to stand up and stay strong and positive. next time he raises hand, WARN him seriously you know your rights and you will call cops on him and theey will teach him how to behave as he is not lsitening to you.

Next thing, if your inlaws are still around and next timeyour MIL talks about properties etc, tell her that your husband is earning enough to support you and family....and he is not in such a dire need that your parents have to write properties immediately. ASK them openly that if your hsuband is not in a condition to earn his own money, then sure you can ask your parents to give your share right away...also remind your husband offline how nasty he was talking when you spent 15$ on a ticket...

I know all this sounds argumentative andwhen a wife talks openly face to face about logic your husband gets irated and will abuse youphysically also...but I got to say this..show him his place.

As far as the GET OUT OF THE HOUSE threat is concerned,d I have a queestion to ask you...be frank and open..

how long do you think you can stick to this marraige, if this is what he will say everytime to get what he wants!!! what will you do after having kids, he will tell you the same thing? what will you do if he uses your own kids to threaten you or harrass you? think about those situations and start working on this.

First WARN him to tone it down....say openly you will call the cops if he abuses you physically.

Next thing do not invite your parents in future please....they dont have to go through all this. forget about gifts etcm, they wont mind if you dont give them gifts, but they sure will be hurt n sad to see the sorry state of their daughter.

If your MIL is still around, make her do stuff aorund the house and keep saying my momdid all this when she was here and why cant your MIL do the same etc....say openly and move away from that place.

1 person likes this.
  3. ars

ars Platinum IL'ite

Adding to srvidhya's
    When the property issue comes up again than say "good than you will give all to your son right" to mil. If they talk about death and will turnaround and ask "have you done the will already"
    Asking for property is dowry harassment. Let them know. Even if your parents give the property it will be in your name definetly not your h and mil's name make that clear to them.

4 people like this.
  4. inlovewithmylyf

inlovewithmylyf Platinum IL'ite

Dear SriVidya, OP is working... N I don't think her parents came to help here for her delivery, looks like she was recovering from some other treatment(not sure though)

5. chocolate

chocolate Platinum IL'ite

I feel so guilty about my condition and i used to get scared of my husband to spend money also.

Nightingale, This tells it all. Please do not call your parents. They will be devastated if they hear your husband talk like he did about items in your house.Next time, see if you can manage without your parents coming to your house.

As Srividya said , how long can you drag this marriage.Your MIL shud not talk talk such nonsense. And your husband he needs a lesson or two. You need to take a step back and do some serious thinking about your marriage.What all you mentioned in your post about getting freedom, have you done something about it. Your husband shud not be physically abusive in first place. If he is , you need to put a stop to it immediately. Becoz when abuse starts if its not stopped , it only gets bigger and worse.I was in that place before so I know. Ultimately it takes a long time to heal. Not the physical wounds but mental abuse.

Having straightforward nature is good but dont make it a hindrance to stopping your husband walking all over you. You are also an individual. You have feelings. What is the point of making you look like culprit for small things?I know his abusive nature might stop you from retaliating.

I am sorry, my in laws have shown me hell and continue to do so. But even I wudnt tell them to sleep on a comforter. Your husband did it tells volumes about how your marriage is. Recover completely and start small by making changes in the house according to your wish .Tell your husband firmly you want to do those changes.Keep repeating in mind.One step at a time and make changes.Remember there will be showdowns,outbursts from all corners.Stay put and you will be happy. Good Luck.

6. nightingale786

nightingale786 New IL'ite

yes, i am working. I had a c-section and i lost my baby :( . i dont want to go into further details as it will make me sad. i didn't get a chance to make arrangements for my parents. it happened so quickly. otherwise, i would have gone out and buy stuff fir them.

choclate, yes slowly i am making changes. i am buying whatever i need. i made it clear to him and i made it clear that i am not going to give a penny to him. He or his mother are not asking for money directly. They are making all indirect comments.

srividya, whatever u said is correct. i agree. you wrote exactly what is there in my mind. but, things doesnt work the same for everybody i guess. i still want to try and dont want to give up easily. if things dont get better, i will choose to stay away from him.

His parents are here and i have to do all house chores. still she complains. i dont talk toher much .but i always wanted to ask my husband..whats the difference between your mom and my mom ? both are elder people. don't they deserve the same kind of treatment ? i know that it will not gve any solution or peace. so, i am keeping quiet and i want to forget all those just to be in peace.

7. SriVidya75

I am sorry to hear about your loss...but I swear the moment I started looking at it from another angle I understood gods plan...but may be this is not the time to tell you.

Pls DO NOT PLAN for a baby. Just be independant. WARN him everytime he raises hand and even make your emergency bag ready. Remmeber one thing, if you are scared to spend 10$ the amount that you earned, whats the point in earning? do you save any of it ? or do you just give it to him?

also when situations like medical conditions or hard times arise, wife n husband have to be there fo reach other...treat each other with love n care but not make the other person feel like a reason for all the situation thats happening. you saw how he behaved during a time when you needed him the most...this is the first around your parents...

now you are seeing how it works with his parents....after all this...take some precautions and stand up for yourself...hightime he has to learn ...this abuse thing wont last for ever and you have evrey right to spend atleast some amount on your own self (even if it means spending a bit on your guests (either parents/friends/relatives etc)

1 person likes this.
  8. Pamela15

Pamela15 Silver IL'ite

Nightingale,

Sorry about your loss dear.

I agree to what srividya has posted above. Please please please do not take any kind of physical abuse or even emotional abuse. I would suggest you call the cops next time he gets physically abusive. You have every right to spend your own money responsibily. Your parents were here to help you, he needs to understand that - girls parents are not dirt. I know you must be going through a lot. I do hope you get the courage to move out if required.

Take care.

9. SriVidya75

I also want to mention something about these comments....for some time just dont pay attention to such comments...reason...you never know he meant that he was accusing your parents indirectly right? he may have asked casually....but as issues were already piling up b/w both of you, you may have taken it asif he is pointing towards your parents...dont try to read too much b/w the lines..handle the bigger issues first...sometimes when there are too many issues going on....everything seems like a hurtful word ..so put these aside and work on the imp stuff...take care of your health first...start working, have savings on your name, be independant, put down your foot when he raises his hand on you.

10. karthikshetty

karthikshetty Senior IL'ite

be thick skinned....life will pose bigger problems in life than the ones listed right now...you got to be mentally prepared to face them....whenever i am in a very hurtful situation, i tend to keep myself busy as much as possible...growing up, i'd be bullied from time to time in school, and i'd return home dejected...my confidence was pretty low...pretty soon, i started ignoring things and started involving in silly activities...would dance on my own at home like no ones watching or sing loudly till i was content....over time, it helped me.....

keep yourself busy and things ll disappear on its own.