1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to follow your hubby's family tradition when you differ?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Amarpreetkochar, Sep 11, 2009.

1. Amarpreetkochar

Amarpreetkochar Junior IL'ite

Hi,

My hubby belongs to a very conservative family. Although my hubby is very modern and open minded but he does not want to against his family's traditions. I also like to follow some of them but some really get on my nerves. How do I deal with this without offending my in laws?

Regards,
    Amarpreet:spin

2. MrsV

MrsV Bronze IL'ite

it depends.. if you are from the same religion, caste and stuff, and there are minor differences in practice, I would just do it because its not against what you believe and its just another form of practice, again depends on what they are asking you to do..

but if its something totally different and you don't feel comfortable, ask your DH to hint at his parents that you don't feel comfortable..

3. mlk2009

mlk2009 Bronze IL'ite

Sweetie u need to elaborate more as to what exactly they are telling u to follow and why you dont want to follow.

Only if u tell in detail the ILites can analyze and help you out.

4. PetiteFashionB

PetiteFashionB Senior IL'ite

Yes ,it has happend to me.
    Husbands actually dont care....and these days men arenot very religious or cultural thats why they marry outer-cast girls.
    But since girl is newcomer ot the family and she has to caryr on their fmaily;s traditions and she has bear the heat.
    And if you are totally outsider(caste/relgion...) you are more stressed to follow or do this or do that...

We laso being outsider sometimes hate their trditions ,its different if we were born in that culture...but mostly we feel they are so narrow or backwd .
    same happened to me ..whenever i was asked to do something, i would do it relucatnly and thinking ..whaht kind of traditions are these...blah blah.

But now i feel i should have done that ..bcos its jsut a small thing ,but make them happy and make our good impression that new 'BAHU' is good...
    she came from diff culture still agreeing to ours...

Better to stay in your body and mind when MIL instructs on somthing.
    If its out of ur tolerance,say 'no' else just do it ...
    Hubby wd never go against his mom ..or anyone in family.unless he is mindless guy..(joru ka gulam') so good to keep MIL on ur side.