1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

How to entertain a baby

Discussion in 'Infants' started by sandhyas, Jan 16, 2008.

1. sandhyas

sandhyas New IL'ite

Iam a new mom , want to study,but I feel guilty if I don't play with the baby all the time.

Please tell me how long we can leave the baby alone & what sort of enertainment

we can provide for infants under 1 year.

thanks

2. Neeti

Neeti New IL'ite

Sandhyas
    If you can go to public library have a look on the book "Baby Play " By Wendy S Masi, Roni Cohen Leiderman .Or" Your child at play ,Birth to one" by Segal, Marilyn M. You will get all the answer and methods how to play with infant.
    Teach her/ him how to play with toys . Sing and dance with her show her baby books .My daughter is 13 month old I have started doing online activity with her when she was 9 monh old .Fisher price have good programs for infant .Let her watch some baby videos if she is over 9 month . Final thing is talk or narrate everything that you are doing.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2008
  3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Hi Sandhya,
    How old is your baby? Young babies generally cannot play by themselves for any length of time. My son is almost 6 mnths and has only now started to keep himself occupied for abt 20 mins or so without me needing to be there. One thing I found useful was an activity gym/mat (basically a bar with toys hanging from it which baby can hit at initially and later grab). That would keep him busy for atleast 15 -20 mins from 3 mnths onwards. Personally i dont like the idea of videos/TV/computer time for a child younger than 2 yrs, so I wont do those. Toys and time duration ultimately depend on what milestones your baby has reached - and how much you are willing to spend to keep him entertained! The best entertainment will always be mummy :).

Vanathi.